New member (bad start to bmw ownership!!..with pics...) - Page 3

Notices

Thread: New member (bad start to bmw ownership!!..with pics...)

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    marke36's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    blimey... pretty rough

Definitely a job for the insurance to sort out as there could be more 'invisible' damage lurking underneath. Hopefully it'll be sorted out soon though. I had a modified 1998 E39 528 and loved it, so i imagine yours is great fun.

Welcome to the site.. i'm pretty new here myself

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    *AL*M5's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M5
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Sorry to hear! If that happened to my M5 i'd be truely gutted and wouldn't want it repaired.I've never yet seen a decent workshop repair with that much damage, corrosion issues, water leaks etc.
    BMW E46 330Ci Clubsport 2003 in Carbon black.
    Honda CBR1000RR 2005 in black.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Lmc_535m's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    535 m
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Both
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreenroom View Post
    hi lee
    This was a shock to me when i found out of what happened.i was sad to see it go,but glad you like it.It should be as good as new again when fixed.If you have whiplash you should defo go and get phyisiotherapy.Anyway hope it all works out ok.This is (gaz the seller)
    Cheers gaz i am just worried now as it could be a write off.. If they deem it to be more expensive to fix than the cars worth they can write it off..
    Where do i stand on how much they offer me, would it be book price etc..?
    I hope it doesn't come to that as the car is an absoloute dream to drive...
    Past cars :MK 1 xr2, BMW e36 318, Astra sri, Subaru sti 96 classic ,
    535m sport.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Super Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    steviep's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    650i sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    Hiya mate, wish it was in better circumstances however if the knob head was properly insured then it's well fixable I'd say between £900 & £1500.

I had a similar shunt at a Bimmer meet in Somerset, we all meet up for the 1o mile drive to Cheddar Gorge, I left in my 840 followed by my mate in his 840, at the Main road junction I stopped he didn't ,can't have been more than 8/10 mph, my bumper & back panel in pieces & £890 later,HIS front end was Fooked, both wings /both inner wings b/bonnet/ all lights,/ front bumper & spoiler/ Radiators x3 etc etc, Norwich union nearly wrote it off but £16,000 later they rebuilt his car!!

The moral of this tale is that an 8 series is much stronger at the back than the front

Hope it ends well for you

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,052 Times in 5,322 Posts
    Hello and welcome to Bimmerforums UK, it's good to have you on board, just sorry to see the mess and that it happened to you so short after getting the car

On the rear being stronger than the front of a car, not strictly true, the car that is travelling has the momentum so it will always fair badly.

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    Diablo944's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 ti compact sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    leadfoot sport trip
    Car Body Type:
    compact
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmc_535m View Post
    Cheers gaz i am just worried now as it could be a write off.. If they deem it to be more expensive to fix than the cars worth they can write it off..
    Where do i stand on how much they offer me, would it be book price etc..?
    I hope it doesn't come to that as the car is an absoloute dream to drive...

Did I read somewhere that you had just bought it? I think I would be getting a solicitor on it if they offer much below what you paid. Depreciation is one thing, but short ownership to write off is another altogether
    2002 325 Compact Sport ti M-Tec---- A little thanks goes a long way

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    angie4m's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Z4 sDrive35is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Diablo944 View Post
    Did I read somewhere that you had just bought it? I think I would be getting a solicitor on it if they offer much below what you paid. Depreciation is one thing, but short ownership to write off is another altogether
    Unfortunately unless a car is under a year old and your the first named drive of it then the insurance companies will only offer you the 'current market value' for the car at the time if its a write off. They do explain this to you when you take out the policy and its in their T&C's.

One thing I would say thought, if it is written off, you could probably buy it back off them and have the work carried out yourself for less than an insurance job would cost.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Lmc_535m's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    535 m
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Both
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Ok have an update basically the garage that was going to proceed with the work on my car (local garage which i know the lads there) phoned me this morning saying that the company i am going through (easidrve) have phoned them saying they will not be getting the car in now as the insurance wants to write the car off and they have come up with a settlement figure of £3800..
    They told them that i have an option of buying the car back at 10% of this value ( i am still waiting for the call to confirm all this ) so couple of questions and some advice needed...

1.Do i accept this offer or what are my options on negotiating the value of the car??.

2.Will the car be recorded as a cat d thus bringing the value of the car down again?

Anyone who has been in this situation before i would be gratefull for your input.. Thanks
    535m sport.

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Class--'s Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Individual e36 323i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Well it will be a lot less if you resell. Honestly tho think about it. If you buy it back why are you buying it back? So you can fix it and enjoy it or so you can fix it and sell it for quick profit? My brother just got T-boned by an uninsured non license holding twurp. His astra got written off and was offered it. The salvage company had put a bid of £200 in so my brother put £200.01 in. Due to it being a run around hes not too bothered. All we needed to do was get a door from the scrappies and MOT it. The tax is still valid and the insurance is still valid so all is good. He couldn't claim whip lash but you can as its the other lil twerps insurance company. You can get £2k for that alone. So make sure you claim. Whiplash cannot be disproved.

Oh and welcome to the forums

Class--

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Lmc_535m's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    535 m
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Both
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Class-- View Post
    Well it will be a lot less if you resell. Honestly tho think about it. If you buy it back why are you buying it back? So you can fix it and enjoy it or so you can fix it and sell it for quick profit? My brother just got T-boned by an uninsured non license holding twurp. His astra got written off and was offered it. The salvage company had put a bid of £200 in so my brother put £200.01 in. Due to it being a run around hes not too bothered. All we needed to do was get a door from the scrappies and MOT it. The tax is still valid and the insurance is still valid so all is good. He couldn't claim whip lash but you can as its the other lil twerps insurance company. You can get £2k for that alone. So make sure you claim. Whiplash cannot be disproved.

Oh and welcome to the forums

Class--
    I have put a claim in..
    On the car though i want to keep it, the garage i know locally have estimated the work to be around 1.5-2k,, my question was though do i have the right to refuse this offer what are my options...?
    And on your question its nice to know that a year or two down the line i can sell without the problems regarding a car thats been "written off".
    535m sport.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast