Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Johns4's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Car Body Type:

Thanks
    Hi, I'm new to the forum as I want to get some advice about BMW maintainance. I'm considering buying a BMW X5 and wondering what maintainance manuals/software people use. Also what electronic diagnostic software is commonly available.

I'm currently an Audi owner and have access to Elsawin which is the dealer software for maintainance, ETKA which is the software which contains the parts list and parts assembly diagrams, and VCDS which is a VAG specific OBD2 code inspector. I expect similar software is available for BMW (even if not officially released to the general public) but I have no idea what to search for in the forums.

Could anyone shed some light on whats available. I don't want to go down the route of buying a BMW only to find I can't find any information for home maintainance.

Thanks
    John

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Bmw320d se's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Steptronic
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    INPA is quite common for BMW, you can buy a usb to obd ii lead on ebay for £20-25. Obviously the software (INPA) either comes with the software on a disc or youll have to get it from a torrent!

compatibilty will obviosuly depend on year, I cant remember exactly but think the cut-off point is somewhere around 03/07 onwards, not 100% on that but im sure someone will correct me!
    Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Johns4's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Car Body Type:

Thanks
    Thanks, that was helpful, a search for INPA BMW on google found load of references so I know what I would need for diagnostics now. One of the cables I saw looked remarkably similar to the chinese VCDS copys you get for VW/Audi cars so I expect they are really similar inside.

How about service manuals etc, I searched a bit further and found a reference to TIS, does anyone know if this is what people use and does it include part numbers as well as a workshop manual ?