Model of Car:
    320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    hi there people! i am a sw london (surrey), uk bimmerhead. looking forward to sharing with you all! i have been reading up in the bentley and haynes manuals and getting to know more about my car. about to do a waterpump and thermostat change, car is at 94k miles! looking to make new friends nearby and share knowhow and the love of e36s with them! i recently bought a power bar and a 3/8 torque wrench and i am enjoying getting to know more about cars.

are there any meets or anyone that would like to meet up and tinker with their cars, and share some stories say once or twice a month? is there a meet set up already that i can come to?

look forward to hearing from you!

xpress

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmerforums Central
    Car Details
    Boostist's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xpress View Post
    hi there people! i am a sw london (surrey), uk bimmerhead. looking forward to sharing with you all! i have been reading up in the bentley and haynes manuals and getting to know more about my car. about to do a waterpump and thermostat change, car is at 94k miles! looking to make new friends nearby and share knowhow and the love of e36s with them! i recently bought a power bar and a 3/8 torque wrench and i am enjoying getting to know more about cars.

are there any meets or anyone that would like to meet up and tinker with their cars, and share some stories say once or twice a month? is there a meet set up already that i can come to?

xpress

hi Xpress

Welcome to the forum mate

We are in the process of organising some meets and there will very soon be a thread in the announcements with some finer details in

There wasnt prior to know because the distance between members was pretty big!! but now there is a lot more of us and hence a lot more people can meet so we may well sort a regional arrangment out

Administrator
    Car Details
    Ian S's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E60 530D, 911 C4S, Yaris T Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Loon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,263 Times in 1,733 Posts
    Welcome. That looks like clean, well cared for car.

You seam to have a similar view to me on preventative maintenance. Either that or have you have overheating problems! (radiator, viscous, thermostat, water pump)

You going to replace with a BMW water pump or aftermarket?

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Master
    Car Details
    xpress's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    thanks for the welcome boostist! and thanks ian s. i try to keep the car in good shape. i believe in doing things properly, so she gets a coolant flush, and bmw coolant, i use a 3/8 drive torque wrench, drain pan and some tlc! i watched a couple of mechanics in my time and i can tell that some people in the trade wouldn't be as thorough as the owner would be!

one thing i am not sure about, the thermostat o ring that i have has a lip and fits over the outer perimiter of the thermostat, which is like thin sheet metal that goes into the groove of the lip and the o ring looks a lot bigger than ones i have seen before. i might take a couple of pics of it and show you ..

i replaced the radiator a few thousand miles ago, just replaced the viscous and it blows the leaves away on the ground now when i open the bonnet and rev her up! a mixture of preventative and necessity, i have started to have overheating problems, after about 20/30 mins of driving when the engine heats up and the thermostat kicks in, the temperature stars a rising slowly but surely towards red. i think it might be a thermostat stuck a little or the waterpump impeller shot. i am going to do the work tomorrow morning! had a sniff test done and no problems, largely because if i have had to use the car for local trips, i would rather cook myself in the sauna and keep her around the middle of the temp guage!

i am going to replace with a meyle waterpump. i don't like the look of the plastic thermostat housing i have got, (couldn't seem to find a uk source for a metal one), so i might use the one that's already on the car for time being!

it also looks like the evaporator drain is blocked, so i am wondering how to clean that, now and again i get a tiny whiff of coolant in the car but have been driving like that for six months so i don't think it's the heater core, more the stuck evap drain. (i hope!) someone told me to put bars leaks in there just in case once flushed out. and maybe recharge the aircon because they have a leak sealant built into them and if it's a hair leak should stop it, but the aircon is blowing nice hot and very cool air so not sure if any of that needs doing!

also the front electric windows, (it's a '94 so ZKE module?) don't roll down at the moment and i don't hear the relay clicking so i suspect it's the relay! haven't seen the comfort relay in there and had the glovebox kick panel off so i think i might source and pull out the zke and look at it. is the ZKE user serviceable? can i solder a bad joint on it?

happy days! i am looking forward to tinkering with the car tomorrow morning! by the way, any people near me (sw london, surrey) who need a hand or a tool or two, let me know!

xpress

RYM
    Legendary BFuk Member
    Car Details
    RYM's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,935 Times in 3,119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xpress View Post

xpress
    xpress, welcome to the forum

I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay on the forum... I look forward to reading your posts

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,052 Times in 5,322 Posts
    Welcome to the forum xpress, come over from the dark side then , good to have you with us