BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

New forum member, considering getting a E46

681 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Ronnie 
#1 ·
Hi there. I'm new here and it looks like you've got a nice bunch of people on your site so I thought I'd join.

I’ve been thinking recently about selling my current car (Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo Limited Edition) and get something a bit more practical/fuel efficient.

I’m not really after anything sporty anymore as I’ve had my fun in my Fiat and to be honest on roads these days you don’t get a chance to use the car for fun so much anymore.

I’ve looked at some of the E46s on sale and they are tempting. The petrol and diesel versions and of the engine seem to be fairly even on price.

I generally do about 30 miles a day and can’t decide on which engine to get. I was thinking a 2.0 to 2.5 size engine but not sure on diesel or petrol. I’ve heard that the diesels aren’t that much better on MPG and can be a bit harder to maintain.

I’d appreciate any info or suggestions you care to give.

Many thanks

Alistair

See less See more
#2 ·
you will get more mpg out of a derv but doing 30 miles per day i cnat see you noticing it massivly its a case of whats more important to you, i had my 323 as i wanted something with the lovely 6 cylinder roar and power to play when i could but sensible for the rest i do 40 miles perday for work so needed something that was alright on fuel and tbh mine isnt to bad.

if you worry about fuel then get a derv still a good car to drive and powerfull to

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies so soon.

I do like the sound of petrol more, but maybe having the diesel version it will discourage me from having blasts just to listen to then engine :)

I'd be interested to know the real world MPGs people are getting with their engines.

I probably should have posted in another section but its too late now.

Don't want to do another one and upset the admin :eek

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.