BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

New to Forum, looking to buy a BMW

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  CharleyNokia 
#1 ·
Hi,

New to the forum, looking for a BMW. Had one many years ago & now interested in a 2002-2004 330i or 330d as they are 6 cyclinderr & have a buit of grunt. I've seen on a couple of forums for used car/car reviews some BMW's have turbo (diesel) problems. Anyone know which of the engines have known problems?

Would like a 330i but have to be sensible on the costs of petrol so a diesel would be more cost efficient, I assume (do @ 100 miles a week).

Any advice most welcome

Claire

#5 ·
Hello and welcome to the forum:D

I have an E91 330 and get 26.9 mpg locally and approx 32.5 mpg on a run down the motorway.. This is an automatic, my old E46 330 touring was manual and was 1-2mpg better:)

Never had a diesel BMW so I cannot comment, I don't do the mileage to warrant one..

#6 ·
100 miles a week is only 5200 miles a year, with that sort of mileage a diesel wouldn't really make a difference, the extra initial cost and higher servicing etc would outweigh any gain in fuel economy.
I wouldn't get a diseasel unless i was doing 10,000+ miles a year. Anyway the petrol will be nicer to drive and sounds better!

#7 ·
got to admit i do 200 miles a week just for work on mainly dual carriagways to motorways and i dont find it enough to warrent a deisel with my personal milage ontop im just on the boarder i love the straight six noise so i have petrol on my milage then i would consider a 330d if the spec was better than a 330 and the price was the same but on your milage def have a petrol not worth looking at at the 330d

Reactions: ClaireG
#8 ·
Hi,

Still getting used to how this site works. Posted a reply to you (private message I think) and banged on about miles when you asked me what type of roads I drive on. Mixture of dual carriageway & crappy, pot-holed A-roads. I work in Chesham, Bucks & they are the WORST roads in the country, seriously. The arse has fallen out of my VW Golf (well, it is 11 years old) so I want something more robust. Beemers are the best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.