Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    Hi, I am new to this site, however I don't own a BMW. However I am very interested in buying one. I joined so I could get some advice from experienced people. My budget is around 3k, and I want something fast. I was looking at the E36 328i, am very interested at the moment. What do you think? Any other recommendations?
    Any input would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Administrator
    Car Details
    Ian S's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E60 530D, 911 C4S, Yaris T Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Loon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,732 Posts
    Welcome.

I am pleased with my 328 and don't think there is much around the £3k to match it. I would recommend doing a search on here for Nikasil before starting to look.

E36 M3's can be had for £3500-4k these days but they may cost a little more to run and insure. Personally I went for a younger 328.

Good luck in whatever you choose!

Ian

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    heroic_goon's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply.

Yes I am tempted by the E36 M3 however I am certain I won't get one, as even with £3500 I woulnd't find one with decent mileage. Also the petrol costs :O... Thats the reason I would prefer the 328.

Is there any differences in the 328i range, as ive read there are a few versions :S.. one with 192bhp, one a bit faster. Also i hear people saying how they have the "good" engine, the one that doesn't break down. Which one should I try and avoid?

I really don't want to be paying alot replacing standard parts, I've had more than enough of that already.

Thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Administrator
    Car Details
    Ian S's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Loon
    Thanks
    Petrol costs for the M3 are pretty similar to those of the 328. If you were thinking of doing any modifications to the 328 the M3 might start to make more sense...

All the 328's are the same bhp. The sports had different suspension, bodykit, BBS wheels etc. The pre 1996 sports had a lsd and post had ASC.

When people are refering to the "good" engine they are referring to a non-nikasil coated block. In brief early 328 blocks had nikasil coated cylinder liners that wore away with the high sulphur in the fuels resulting in premature engine wear. In many cases these blocks had to be replaced and you still hear reports of them still failing.

Many of the nikasil blocks have since been replaced with steel linered blocks and BMW switched to steel lined blocks in manufacturing week 10 1998.

In short it's probably best to buy a late 328 sport! (Well I would say that!)

Ian
    Last edited by Ian S; 08-11-2008 at 06:46. Reason: Accuracy

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,052 Times in 5,322 Posts
    Welcome along heroic goon, good to have you aboard

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    Thanks alot for the advice Ian. Well I am very interested now in getting the 328 sport, I have seen many on autotrader, decent mileage for about £3k, thats my budget. Also, someone in my family has a 323i, and that is RAPID, flies faster than a mercCLK320, i was surprised! If that flies, then im thinking how fast is a 328 gonna be?! I like the sound of that! NEEED a test drive now lol.
    Thanks Ronnie.

OOoo also, motorway driving? These stable on the motorway? Because i do alot of motorway driving. I know the 323 that my cousin has, it doesnt feel too stable on the motorway. And i did have a 318is... that was POOOR when going above 70mph lol

Thanks

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    GordonJ's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318ti E36 LPG
    Year of Manufacture:
    1996 / P
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Hatch
    Thanks
    Hi heroic goon.

Both Ian S and myself drive BMWs with LPG conversions, and they both run perfectly, and fuel is less than 50p a litre. I would heartily recommend to anyone thinking of getting a beemer to try to find one with a good LPG conversion done before getting one that just runs on petrol. If you enjoy 'enthusiastic' driving, and I certainly do, it's splendid to know that any time you are faced with open road, you can just bury it with impunity, and not give a toss about fuel consumption. Cheap as chips to run, with no performance loss.

De Omnibus Dubitandum

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    Hi Gordon, thanks for the advice. Hmmm however i'm not too sure as to how long I will keep the car. Also, I've heard its about £1k for an LPG conversion? Works out cheaper in the long run definitely. So there is definitely no performance loss? Any difference in the way it drives? The sound?

Administrator
    Car Details
    Ian S's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Loon
    Thanks
    Regarding motorway stability the E36 is fine if looked after. Depending on tyre choice the worse you should get is a bit of tramlining. However, the problem is that the youngest E36's are now almost 10 years old and the suspension bushes wear. The common problems that cause instability would be the front control arm bushes, ball joints and on the rear; the rear trailing arm bushes.

Regarding performance there are some very easy ways to get more out of the 323 and the 328's! The 323's can be taken from 170 bhp to around 200 bhp quite easily. Similar gains are possible on the 328!

As for LPG conversions, the cheapest I would consider would be £1200-1400. The more expensive kits for a 6 pot would be £2000-2500. A DIY conversion would cost £400-1000. As Gordon said buy one that has already been converted! On the older kits performance is marginally affected but you wouldn't really notice it. You always have the option to switch to petrol whilst driving but in practice you would never feel the need to! Regarding the engine noise it gets ever so slightly quieter. As Gordon said it means you can use the cars performance as much as you would like. Seriously, I love it. I don't give fuel consumption a second thought whilst driving a 2.8!

Fuel economy on the 328 is impressive for the engine size/age. You can easily get 30mpg on a run and I used to get about 25-27mpg around town.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    Oh right, well what mileage is decent for say £3k? Is it worth getting a BMW with over 100k on the clock?

Hmmm but without a turbo is it not hard to get some decent performance gains? I think itd just include a remap and exhaust system to get a bit more, unless theres anything else that can spice it up?

Yep definitely now i would prefer an LPG converted bmw, but in my price range thats a big doubt lol, il certainly look though. Oh right I didn't know you could switch to petrol aswel, thats really good! So if you run out of gas, flip the switch and off you go?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast