BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    cdodds2004's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318 ti
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Car Body Type:

Hi guys just thought id say hi, i have just bought my first bmw after just turning 26 and sick of driving round in jap cars decide for a bit more comforts in life,

havnt got a amazing bmw but picked on a 52 plate BMW 318 compact ti.

now overall im very happy with the car but just have a few niggles with it and wondering if anybody in the no can put me right,

car has a rattle for first 2-3 seconds and then quietens off, seems like the timing chain like most of my jap cars had the same rattle on there chains! is this normal or is it signs of problems to come,

also seems to have a engine rattle although quite quiet and dull seems to be coming from drivers side of the engine almost inline with the wheel, this is quiet and seems to shut up after a short journey!

also exhaust sounded as if it had a blow under the drivers seat so i had it checked by a garage and he said no blow there, and is just a resonating sound off the exhaust,

history of car is 92k miles full bmw service history one owner from new seems to have been well looked after!

any other faults i need to keep my eyes peeled for?

thanks guys

2. Remove Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Bournemouth, Dorset.
    Thanked 7,051 Times in 5,322 Posts
    Hi and welcome to Bimmerforums UK, congratulations on your new car.

Would be a good idea to get the timing chain tensioner investigated, unfortunately these engines are really common for timing problems, i.e. worn chain guides, tensioners e.t.c causing the timing to jump. You should also change the oil regularly with quality oil, or you will end up paying out £££££ in the future.