320 Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual ftw
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    image.jpgAs you can tell my names Steve but I answer to most things lol

Picked my car up about 2 months ago and have decided to restore her to her former self as the last owner was a bit reckless with his/her cigarettes and clearly didn't mind hitting a curb or two, It's got a few dents here and there but nothing some tlc won't sort out. It had very little mot left when I got it but that's one of the factors of me getting it so cheap, £3,000 got me full service history, warranted mileage at 86k(only 4k done since last mot), full grey leather/heated/electric seats, sunroof from what I hear is rare in a coupe, anyway I'd been researching E46's for about 6 months before I got out looking at some and I promised myself I wouldn't fall in love with the first one I test drove but was I wrong, bloody hell lol I had to have it, as I said it had little mot left so I booked it in and it went in last month and it flew threw with a few advisories like the expected corrosion to rear break ferrules and a few tyres lol

Anyway that's enough for now I'll be surprised if anyone reads even this far
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Steve'o; 16-11-2013 at 13:50. Reason: Added pictures

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    goldbcfc's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Z4
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    roadster
    Thanks
    I had a 3 year old focus sold it for a 10yr old bmw its brilliant so cheap to buy a reliable 2 issues sticky calliper and abs/dsc light faulty abs pump total £200 with labour,just fill it with petrol,oil and drive i have spent alot las two month £1000 parts and labour but that was down to me treating the car to refurbished alloy, new wisbones,bushes,waterpump,alt belt,belt tensioner,expansion tank,temp sensor etc but i think its worth it cars now 12yr old and im second owner so hopefully it will be here for abit longer still a joy to drive everyday

I always wanted one but was put off by freinds telling me horror stories i think once you own one thats it very hard to switch back to another manufacturer

E46 318ci coupe
    E46 330ci convertible
    E46 325ci coupe
    E85 Z4 Roadster 3.0i
    E46 330ci coupe

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Steve'o's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320 Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual ftw
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Mate it has to be the best car I've owned, everything is so tight, doesn't feel like it's even a week old and is a joy to drive, just wish I got an M3 lol

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    goldbcfc's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Z4
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    roadster
    Thanks
    Yeah i wish that alot the moment i see one 14mpg sort of worries me although its probably worth it there just seems to be to many options performance and mpg wise just as good

335i 335d, 530/535d and (new)635d all have great performance and you would be seing over 20's mpg easily

E46 318ci coupe
    E46 330ci convertible
    E46 325ci coupe
    E85 Z4 Roadster 3.0i
    E46 330ci coupe

rm1
    Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    rm1's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    you are lucky if an old e46 feels tight most need suspension work. As for the alloys these often need refurbing owing to leaking air so the fact that yours are chipped is another reason to do it. Nice looking cars wish I had a coupe it really does have a great design. Oh and expect it to use oil.

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    goldbcfc's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Z4
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    roadster
    Thanks
    I went from a 318ci coupe SE so didnt seem as tight the moment i test drove some 330 m-sport i felt the difference nice and firm much sportier smaller but thicker steering wheel i viewed a few with a 5k budget and about 3.5k my 318ci owed me it was down to two a blue 2004 facelift convertible 4 owners 85k miles black leather etc 6.5k or a 2001 pre facelift convertible 1 owner 70k miles satnav black leather etc 4k i went for the silver and managed to bag it cheap enough i still had both bmws on the drive was a great move the car is solid and always has been proper stiff and tight you sort of know when you got a good one

Its even tighter since putting eibach springs on last month

E46 318ci coupe
    E46 330ci convertible
    E46 325ci coupe
    E85 Z4 Roadster 3.0i
    E46 330ci coupe

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Steve'o's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320 Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual ftw
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Gold you don't buy an M3 to worry about MPG lol

As for the alloys I've found a company on ebay which take your old alloys and swap them with reconditioned/refurbed then rebalance and put new valves on for £288 but they're in London

Yeah I read up on the oil usage thing, 1 litre every 500 miles or so I think but hey I didn't buy it for economy.

How much did it set you back for the springs/fitting?

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    goldbcfc's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Z4
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    roadster
    Thanks
    £120 for springs charged me £100 to fit £160 in total because i had meyle hd wishbones and all the front and rear bushings changed at the same time

As for those alloys id keep the original the cars been prob sat on the last 10 yrs had mine refurbed £20 each £80 total at city powder coaters in birmingham i will definately use them again i was quoted £300 by others you would think they would be awfull but if you seen the amount of sets of alloys waiting to be done you would know why its so cheap they are over run with work when i dropped mine off their must of been 10 other sets dropped of the same day those companies offering that refurb service are rip offs so you pay nearly £300 and lose your own alloys makes sense to me i see freshly refurbed alloys go for £250 anyway some will try and sell for £500 these are usually the same sellers who claim they sell loads at that price but still have them on ebay to sell months later the jokers stay clear just get your own refurbed

I know mpg shouldnt bother ppl with m3's but when my mrs has just bought a new eco car that does 75mpg you wonder is this the end of such performance cars is it really worth filling a £75 tank each week when your range would last twice aslong in a 335d with same 0-60, much newer and more refined car

E46 318ci coupe
    E46 330ci convertible
    E46 325ci coupe
    E85 Z4 Roadster 3.0i
    E46 330ci coupe

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Steve'o's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320 Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual ftw
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Think I'm gonna have to look into getting some decent springs, which are best? Everyone around here wants £40 a corner to refurb my wheels, I don't have any spares to put my car on either so makes it awkward for me

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    goldbcfc's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Z4
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    roadster
    Thanks
    One thats one of the reasons i put mine off for so long they wernt kerbed but had a few bubbled spots where the paint was lifting i actually bought a set of fresh black with silver lip refurbed bmw z4 alloys (bbs) so had them on for a few months then got my mv1's refurbed its worth just getting a cheap £100 set of 17's to use for a week while you get yours done unless you buy a new set £40 a corners decent these were some done for £20
    Attached Images

E46 318ci coupe
    E46 330ci convertible
    E46 325ci coupe
    E85 Z4 Roadster 3.0i
    E46 330ci coupe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast