Thought i'd pop in and say hello to all the BMW gurus out there, having just recently bought Swaynie's 328i (also a mutual ex Fiat Coupe Turbo owner ). My first one i've owned since driving an E30 325i a long time back. Having just sold my last car to bump up my house deposit, I didn't have any plans to get another car but I ended up buying a 328i
Over the next few months I plan on sorting some bits out on it ..
- needs new front discs and pads. Any recommendations? .. I was looking at some brembo ones
- 40mm drop is a bit too much for me so I will raise the height on the coil over setup to be a bit more OEM like
- not that keen on the M badges on the grille or boot. It's always a bit of a marmite thing, especially after reading the big thread on Pistonheads about it, the grille one will definetly go though.
- Window tints, they're quite dark and do make spotting a police car hard work so i'm not sure if they'll stay.
- mis-matching tyres on the rear, a continental sport 3 and a falcon, so will replace the falcon with a continental sport.
- I plan on sorting out the bodywork myself and see how that goes, lots of rust on the wheel arches, scratches, rust spots etc as you would expect for a 16 year old car on original paint.
I drove 230 miles from Sheffield to Portsmouth with no issues at all, the only thing is, in a straight line, the steering wheel is off-centre so once I have sorted out the pads/discs, tyre, suspension height, I will get them properly aligned.
From the drive home, you just wouldn't think the car had done 154k!, although with a new engine fitted in '99 and only on 83k, refreshed suspension, clutch, cooling system etc .. that goes a long way
I'm not sure about the alloys, I have no idea if they are genuine ones. I want to get a McGuard locking wheel nut and shiny new ones for the others but not sure on what size to get? unforuntately not being very mechnically minded, all this 'staggered' wheels is new to me .. I'd like to get them re-furbed too
Steve's already replaced a lot of mechanical parts to keep it running sweet so I just plan on keeping it that way and sorting out some of the cosmetic issues. I'm not sure with the rust on the arches whether it is worth just letting the bodyshop at it ??