Me and my happy 635 say hi.....8)

Notices

Thread: Me and my happy 635 say hi.....8)

Reply to Thread
  1. Me and my happy 635 say hi.....8) 
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Rudeuk2's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E24 635csi
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Images
    Thanks
    Hello, once upon a time I went to a café at T time for a bacon and cheese sandwich and ended up agreeing a purchase of a D plated E24. I wasn't expecting that. After spending years floating between fords and vw's I knew I was entering into unchartered territory. I had read the warnings that when you see one you WILL buy it, so armed to the teeth with scrambled knowledge I went to do my first viewing of the car, planning to return to decide and......bought it straight away. I was lured in by the way it had sat up a drive in hackney for many months, the moss on the black bits, the rust runs down the silver paintwork, why, even the peeling laquer had its good bits, and then there was the inside, damp, mouldy and years of cigar smoke stains... But when that bad boy (eventually) fired up, I knew we had a future together. I drove it home from hackney that night, and as long as I stayed under 40mph, it was a dream come true, I even shed a tear when I got stuck in heavy traffic and saw how much heat was emitting from the bonnet edges, scared that at any moment there was going to be an explosion, once on the M11 the vibrations from the dry and over heated front wheel bearings and various other square round things gave me a sense of calm, putting all my faith in the strength of German engineering, even on it's last legs. I aptly named this car 'Christine' and drove off into the sunset.....Harlow actually. Despite its condition, it cleaned up really well, a rebuilt autobox 4000 miles ago and extensive engine repairs 1000 miles before that. I bought a tax for a year, pumped the tyres up and am slowly filling my other car up with bits bought for this one, but I haven't pushed it yet, ok, a little drag with an Audi tt which scared the life out of me at 70mph, round tyres have since been purchased . So now I have one and i'm itching to do great things with it. Here is a pic of it today after battling the elements over Sunday putting on some suspension that works....

WP_001287.jpg

Other attacks to perform is the lump and the groggy bits bolted to it that don't work when they feel like it, I haven't even bothered with the engine yet, that's next week I had to unravel miles of lashed up wiring first! Whilst I'm at it I'm also going to stop the infernal shaking at 50 and get some original proper fitting rims and refurb the current ones, Sort out the ABS Ive disconnected because it works all the time, and then chase the tin worm around the body......I cant wait... But at this very moment it's still going, a bit funky at times, but its a pleasure to drive 26 years on....

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    ben m's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    I love the write up mate, really enjoy that style of story telling that people use on car forums. Used to have a few people on the GT4OC who wrote great stories but this is the first I have read here.

Christine looks lovely, I have a real soft spot for the old 6's and 8's! I also really like old cars in general, so much character to them!

Get some more pics up, tatty bits as well as nice! Love it

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Rudeuk2's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E24 635csi
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Images
    Thanks
    Thanks, i stuck some pics i took of it when it was stuck up someones drive, the day- or night I bought it, they're in my album thing on my profile. It did look sad, unfortunately I have an 'eye for potential', which usually gets me in to trouble, especially with cars. I'm loosing my yard where I was in the middle of.... PROJECT 2.0 ORION! and got let down on a garage by a mate, so I've got to let that go....er....somewhere. This car came up out of the blue and had a real MOT on it, even though he never drove it much in the 4 years he owned it, mainly because he blew the autobox driving it home from buying it (£1500) and then killed the lump a month later (£800), he'd done about 4000 miles in those four years! And with a track record like that, I don't blame him! So a rolling resto was much more appealing for me as I only use it at the weekend, but I admit I usually steam in and do all the engine bits first just so I know it'll hold up ok, so I am taking a chance with it but visually it seems fine, still that's close to being done now anyway. Time is tight! I usually take pics of the work I do to my cars, the wiring one would have been interesting (imagine robocop exploded over a car seat and footwell) but I nearly always have my 3yr old daughter helping me (so she thinks) And if shes happy using a screwdriver as a pretend mobile phone then that makes me happy!
    Polluting the planet in style....

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Tall_Steve's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E64 630i M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible
    Thanks
    Hi & welcome, good to read that you are saving this 6...

Great cars with loads of character, goodluck, keeping my fingers X'd that it doesn't turn into a money pit.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Rudeuk2's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E24 635csi
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Images
    Thanks
    Thanks for the fingers x'd! I can do mostly everything myself one way or another, so its just bits really, I've planned the cost of building one from scratch, added 50% too, that comes to about a hundred grand, so Im prepared for the worst, might take some time though, hey, It even has its own bank account!
    Polluting the planet in style....