Model of Car:
    320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    touring

Thanks
    Howdy i have recently brought my first decent bmw (had a few ropey 316's as a kid) , i got a nice E36 320i tourer and its gorgeous but unfortunately not without its faults. 98K with lots of history solid and as clean as you like, I knew it needed a clutch and new tires all round so i've done that and i know i need a rear spring as she leans a bit at the back on drivers side. Im more concerned with a front end knock/rattle as after inspection all seems well the only visible wear was anti roll bar bushes which i have replaced but still the same, ive noticed its worse in the wet, i can also slightly feel it through the wheel so at the moment im thinking of changing both wishbones and associated bushes but im also concerned the strut may have a creaking damper or maybe even the spring groaning and creaking may be the culprit .I haven't got the money to throw loads of new parts at her (which is what id like to do) and i dont want to be defeated by running out of fettling funds before its ready for the road so What id hope for is a local enthusiast to shed some light on the subject and also some advice on future engine transplants.

P1030033.jpgP1030032.jpgP1030034.jpg*

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    TheEnd's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,990 Times in 2,440 Posts
    You can get a couple of wishbones for about £40 each, that is often the main cause, or the suspension top mounts.

As you jack the car, it can sit on a different area and hide the worn section.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    martw's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    touring

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEnd View Post
    As you jack the car, it can sit on a different area and hide the worn section
    just been out in her its more a rattle than a knock and can subtly feel it through the wheel (worries the sh#t outa me lol) i will get the jack under her tomorrow and take the weight off the strut and "rock" it a bit on the jack to see if there is play on strut top. Id like to throw some money at it and have shock/spring kit on it with 2 new bottom arms complete but alas due to funds i have to be frugal ..... thanks for response