BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

limited newbee access ?

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  RYM 
#1 ·
Hi i am new on here and dont want to upset anyone, i just wondered what the thinking is on not letting new members sell or do deals on the sight for the first 3 months or 100 post's.
I joined the other day and received some good advice on a xenon problem i had on a car that i had just bought e46 325i sport saloon.
I decided to scrap the xenons and revert to a standard set up as i could not be doing with the warning light on the dash.
I thought i would give someone the opportunity of a free upgrade.
So i posted ilegaly ( i hadnt read the rules at the time ) and offered anyone a swap, my xenon set up for there standard set up. As you can imagine i got an instent response and arranged a meet.
When i met the other member this morning he told me that after i had gone off the addministrater had deleted the thread and gave us a warning about rule breaking.
I apologise about breaking the rules. I understand that they are there for a reason, and didnt do it on purpose.
But i thought the idea of having a forum is to put like minded petrol heads in touch with each other to make life easyer for each other. Both of us were happy with this sight for suppling the medium for us to get in touch and it was a good outcome for everyone.
Surely when you first get your car and discover teathing problems, it is then that opportunitys arise. Not letting you do any deals for 3 months is a little bit excessive.

See less See more
#2 ·
Personally, I've had the same kind of experience.

On another car forum, I saw a member pretty local who was selling a front Genuine M3 Bumper for £80 posted. I saw that he had no other posts on the whole forum, so I decided I would physically meet him and pick up the bumper instead.

Okay, he turned out to be genuine.

The worry was that if I had sent him money via paypal, he might not even have a bumper - let alone a genuine M3 one - for sale. He could have deleted his paypal after withdrawing the money and been on his merry way.

I prefer to use BFUK for these strict forum rules; I know I won't get messed over easily!!!

You managed to complete a genuine transaction, which was great for you. Other members in the past have lost a lot of money which - as far as I know - took a while to get back; some did not even get theirs back, I think.

#3 ·
sorry fella, we've had people ripped off and all manner off unscrupulous people sign up with no other intention than to rip people off. Unfortunately our hands have been tied by the acts and dealings of a couple of scumbags. Our interest is in protecting our members as much as we can, to this end sanctions have been put into place.

#6 ·
On ebay it's much easier to get it resolved. You can raise a dispute using the system in place, or you can get the money back by raising the same dispute on paypal.

On ebay, you can also choose who to buy from based on their Feedback. ALWAYS look at their feedback, and read everything in the negative part if there is any.

#7 ·
But i thought the idea of having a forum is to put like minded petrol heads in touch with each other to make life easyer for each other. Both of us were happy with this sight for suppling the medium for us to get in touch and it was a good outcome for everyone.
Surely when you first get your car and discover teathing problems, it is then that opportunitys arise. Not letting you do any deals for 3 months is a little bit excessive.
unfortunately there has been members who have taken advantage of our good nature
the rules are there for a good reason as alot of members will tell you

#10 ·
The rules for selling are in place as Deano says due to thieving scummy B*st*rds that took advantage fortunately thieving scumbags are usually after a quick in quick out hence the 3 months also the 100 posts.If people are legit then they are happy to go along with the rules.If they are not then there is always Ebay,Gumtree,Autotrader etc..etc..Also if you do a search you'll find that this question has been answered before.

#11 ·
With me being new and a computer novice it will take me a liitle time to get youst to navigateing your sight. I am not having a pop i was just intrested in the thinking behind it.
As i can tell it appears you lot have had your fair share of scum bags to deal with. As time will tell i am not one of them.

#14 ·
to be fair you were NOT selling anything! you just needed to sort a problem with your lights, i can understand the rules of 3 months as a member not a problem,but the 100 posts i feel is a little bit excessive, but i understand the rules and will stick to them even if it takes 12 months to get to 100 posts,but please remember not everyone is Dick Turpin there are still some decent people out there:thumbsup

#15 ·
Its the minority that ruins it for the majority...Do you not think the scam artists also don't say all the right things?Remember this is a forum NOT a shop.How many times do we have to say there is always Ebay,Gumtree etc...The rules are not excessive because they work...when they were not in place we got caught-now they are in place we haven't been caught out.Remember too that its for your benefit that we have these rules.They are not going to change.

#18 ·
:rofl:rofl

lol at 'do your time'!!!!!!!

I agree with what has been said, Lamper and others are right on the money.
It does seem a bit Big Brotherish and for that we/I apologise but some members got ripped off badly and all but one of them got the money back after the police got involved.

However it flagged up just how easy it is to rip innocent people off over the internet, and as a result we had t toughen up the criteria to protect forum members and ourselves.

Remember, we DONT get paid for people selling their stuff on here and the bucket loads of grief that come when someone gets ripped off is not something we like having to deal with.

Even though the for sale forums are used 'at your own risk' we as a forum have a conscience and dont like scumbags :hihi

But the time will pass quickly for sure and you will then see the benefits when using that section I hope

#17 ·
sorry guys I didnt mean to upset anybody,I did not ask for rules to be changed! as i said I have read the rules and will abide by them no probs,and I know they are there to help protect genuine members.
I think this is a great forum and wouldnt want it ruined by cowboys,I was just saying!!

sorry guys,
John.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.