Impreza to BMW

Notices
 

Thread: Impreza to BMW

Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Impreza to BMW 
    #1
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    scooby john's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325d
    Year of Manufacture:
    2005
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hello all,
    As the title says I'm looking to move from an Impreza to a BMW. I will be doing more miles and so need to switch to a less thirsty diesel car. I'm hoping that I can get some advice from you guys on what to buy.

    I'm tempted to have a BMW because:
    I need a diesel with reasonable MPG (I know it depends on my right foot) that is comfortable and spacious.
    I will be driving myself mostly, and my wife and daughter on the weekends.
    I will be doing town driving during the week and doing long (300+) trips on the weekends.
    I know that I can't have economy and a very quick car (my friend has an M3 which I love but it isn't kind on the gas and the whole point of moving away from the Impreza is to save some money).

    I can't decide between a 5 or a 3 series. I'm guessing that the 3 might be a tad too small for passengers in the back on a long journey but I'm worried that the 5 will be a bit too barge like.

    I'd also like to know what people think of the available diesel engines. Some poke would be nice but if I can't go really quick then I would rather be comfortable and able to chew up motorway miles.

    I would also like to know if there are trim levels to seek out/avoid or common faults that need to be looked out for.

    To give you some idea of what I've been looking at I have got a couple of links:

    BMW : Black BMW 525d SE (2005)

    BMW : 530d Sport Immaculate Condition 194Bhp and over 45mpg

    Apologies for the long intro. All advice is welcome, I'm keeping an open mind and would love to hear from you.

    Thanks

    John
     
     

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  3.  
    #2
    Premium Member
    Car Details
    matthew_henson's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E61 525d Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    2005
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring/Estate
    matthew_henson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Forest Of Dean
    Posts
    4,210
    Thanks
    904
    Thanked 1,412 Times in 1,223 Posts
    Welcome to BFUK!

    What is your budget? The E60 (top link of yours) is a sumptous car and much better than the old E39 ( lower link, which is still a great car) and a superb motorway muncher. The M-Sport is a good spec as it add sports suspension, body kit and leather sports seats, the SE is a comfort spec but I find the seats a bit basic (no tilt)

    The basic specs have a manual aircon system (not dual zone) which is fine when you travel alone a lot no nav and no bluetooth, the business versions add bluetooth, nav and dual zone aircon.

    In terms of engines don't bother with the 2 litre lumps, not quite enough power and they get thrashed, the early 525d are 177bhp and 6 cylinders and lovely to drive but not quite enough power (they remap to 240bhp easily) the later model (2007+) is a detuned 3.0 block that remaps up to 280bhp nicely. The 530d is 218bhp as standard but will again go to 280 easily. The 535d is a wonderful engine at 286bhp and if you can buy one of these you won't regret it.

    All models up to 530d come in manual or auto flavours, the 535d is auto only (too much torque for the manual box)

    Common issues: On the sallon there is not too much to worry about, regular oil change history is a must as the BMW service schedule doesn't do the turbo/s any favours, there is a worry about swirl flaps but it is over egged IMHO on E60/E61 (must be removed on E39's) Getting rid of run flat tyres is a wise move. Auto gearboxed need an oil and filter change at 100k whatever BMW say and estates (E61's) have a well known and expensive fault with the air suspension compressor (the inlet pipe perishes, falls off and lets grit in that kills it)

    That is about it, If I were going from a scooby to practical family car I would choose a M-Sport 535d estate with business pack but I only had a £8 budget so bought a 525d estate M-Sport. Saloons cost less than estates
     
     

  4.  
    #3
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    smuler's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 Ci Coupe
    Year of Manufacture:
    2005
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Swansea
    Posts
    92
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 59 Times in 53 Posts
    I have a 3 series coupe, E46. Maybe not passenger friendly.

    But I have friends/colleagues with E90 series saloons/tourings(E91)

    They transport family around.

    I couldn't provide such a thorough precis, as Mr H does for 5 series. But, for diesels, in the E90 range there is the 330d which hits 0-60 in 6 seconds and with a manual, based on official figures, hits 49.6 mpg.
     
     

  5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  6.  
    #4
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    scooby john's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325d
    Year of Manufacture:
    2005
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks very much for the replies. My budget will be around 6k so I might have to go for a lower spec. I'm very fond of my Impreza and love the performance, but I'm keen to get economy more than performance out of a BMW. Is it possible to drive a 535 economically??

    If I'm looking for that balance is it better to get a 525/530?
    Is a higher mileage E60 better than a lower mileage E39?
    Given that the services are up to date, at what mileage should I turn and run rather than splashing out?
    Are there any model revisions of the E60 that represent a significant step forward in either economy or performance?

    Thanks again for the input so far, I'm leaning towards the 5 series I think. Any more views and advice would be greatly appreciated.

    Cheers

    John
     
     

  7.  
    #5
    Premium Member
    Car Details
    matthew_henson's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E61 525d Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    2005
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring/Estate
    matthew_henson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Forest Of Dean
    Posts
    4,210
    Thanks
    904
    Thanked 1,412 Times in 1,223 Posts
    You should be able to get a E60 for £6k with less than 100k and an E39 with less than 60k although they will be rare, any E39 will need £200 of work ASAP to remove the swirl flaps and change the engine breather, this is less urgent on the E60

    The 535d does about 30-35mpg for average driving, I get 39mpg out of my 525d and I am far from slow, but at 0-60 in 8 seconds it is OK but not fab, a remap will take that to 7 seconds

    Don't buy anything over 130k, things like injectors and turbos start to play up at 150k and so you want some time before you need to tinker. The E60 got incrediby ecomonical in later life (on paper at least) you will see what the call the LCI models (post 2007) which had new engines and much better CO2 ratings but they are still in the £12-25k price bracket. A BMW service history is actually bad in on older car, a regular (12-15k oils changes) from an indy or even DIY is better, BMW totally neglected the air and fuel filters and changed oil at up to 22k intervals.

    All dervs suffer from clogged up EGR valve on all manufactures, BMW is no different and so it is one filthy DIY job that is worth doing, all BMW dervs also have the same thermostat failure but is it a 10 minute job and the part costs £32.

    The 3 series is a great car but for motorway cruising the 5 just east up the miles, I had an older E46 before my E61 and the difference still puts a smile on my face (I do 40k miles a year)

    Again all 6 cylinder models re-map easily without any driveablity issues and avoid all 4 pots 2 litre diesels they are overworked and the turbos just don't have the longivety
     
     

  8.  
    #6
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    smuler's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 Ci Coupe
    Year of Manufacture:
    2005
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Swansea
    Posts
    92
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 59 Times in 53 Posts
     
     

  9.  
    #7
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    scooby john's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325d
    Year of Manufacture:
    2005
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew_henson View Post
    You should be able to get a E60 for £6k with less than 100k and an E39 with less than 60k although they will be rare, any E39 will need £200 of work ASAP to remove the swirl flaps and change the engine breather, this is less urgent on the E60

    The 535d does about 30-35mpg for average driving, I get 39mpg out of my 525d and I am far from slow, but at 0-60 in 8 seconds it is OK but not fab, a remap will take that to 7 seconds

    Don't buy anything over 130k, things like injectors and turbos start to play up at 150k and so you want some time before you need to tinker. The E60 got incrediby ecomonical in later life (on paper at least) you will see what the call the LCI models (post 2007) which had new engines and much better CO2 ratings but they are still in the £12-25k price bracket. A BMW service history is actually bad in on older car, a regular (12-15k oils changes) from an indy or even DIY is better, BMW totally neglected the air and fuel filters and changed oil at up to 22k intervals.

    All dervs suffer from clogged up EGR valve on all manufactures, BMW is no different and so it is one filthy DIY job that is worth doing, all BMW dervs also have the same thermostat failure but is it a 10 minute job and the part costs £32.

    The 3 series is a great car but for motorway cruising the 5 just east up the miles, I had an older E46 before my E61 and the difference still puts a smile on my face (I do 40k miles a year)

    Again all 6 cylinder models re-map easily without any driveablity issues and avoid all 4 pots 2 litre diesels they are overworked and the turbos just don't have the longivety
    Thanks Matthew,

    that helps a lot. I think I'll have a look at the M-sport 530d (E60). I'm assuming they gave the choice of manual or auto? I'm keen for the manual but I might see what I can drive and get used too. Smuler, I couldn't get that link to work?!!
     
     

  10.  
    #8
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    smuler's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 Ci Coupe
    Year of Manufacture:
    2005
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Swansea
    Posts
    92
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 59 Times in 53 Posts
    John, nor could I today.

    Looks like someone else agreed with me and bought it. Or the ad was pulled, for another reason.

    I see a lot of E60 M Sports in my neighbourhood. They look very nice in black or silver. But they're all autos. Not sure whether manuals are so plentiful.
     
     

  11.  
    #9
    Premium Member
    Car Details
    matthew_henson's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E61 525d Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    2005
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring/Estate
    matthew_henson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Forest Of Dean
    Posts
    4,210
    Thanks
    904
    Thanked 1,412 Times in 1,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scooby john View Post
    I'm assuming they gave the choice of manual or auto?
    There are plenty of both on the market, you shouldn't struggle

    Quote Originally Posted by scooby john View Post
    I think I'll have a look at the M-sport 530d (E60).
    Good choice
     
     

Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Posting Permissions
  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts