Hello all, I'm being super prepared. I sold my impreza wrx a few weeks ago as the missus is on mat leave in a couple of weeks. Sold the scoob because we can get by with just one car till her indoors starts work again.

What this means though is that I'm going to have to start looking for cars again. I've been through quite a lot over the past few years but BMWs have always had something a bit special (perhaps because my first grown up car was a 320d).

Anyway, by the time I am ready to buy I'll probably have 4k cash and might finance a bit but money will be tight as this will be baby number 3 (and last!)

I've had the 320d as I mentioned and it was cracking, paid 11k for it (it was an e46) when it was about 3 and a half years old with 66k on it, traded it in for an rx8 when it was at 107k two and a half years later (think I only got about 3k for it though). I also had an e46 316, a t reg nice car but no power.

Anyway, driving twill be drop offs for the kids, commuting to work, up to 40ish miles/day and the occasional road trip. Split between 3 and 1 series and what engines. Want to go for a newer model (e90 I think) or whatever the later ones are. I know it might be tight with my budget But I have seen some around.

I plan to test drive closer to the time models and engines. I like a fast car but probably at this stage value economy and value for money more.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.