Hi there! E39 528i owner looking for answers....and finding some!

Notices

Thread: Hi there! E39 528i owner looking for answers....and finding some!

Reply to Thread
  1. Hi there! E39 528i owner looking for answers....and finding some! 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Rec0n's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    528i E39
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Hey there,

I have been using your forums of late for some answers to various queries and figured I might as well join the community to get more out of it.

I am an older fart who started life as a motor mechanic at a BMW Dealer in Melbourne back in the early '80s. I completed my BMW Master Technician upgrade in 1991 and worked at a Melbourne Dealership for 13 years all up. In 1996 I moved out of the trade and into a Product Management role at an equally impressive German company that sells to the trade where I have now been for 17 years. This year saw me change from the Product Team to the IT team to run their IT Helpdesk and I have not looked back!

I bought my E39 528i about 4.5 years ago after my old car was totaled by a huge hail storm. I remembered why I loved these cars as soon as I road tested it!

My recent issues related to an LCM module failure (second time around...) that saw me lose both high beams and one low over the course of 8 months. The last low beam started staying on permanently just this weekend so it was time to seek out a skilled repairer or at least some info on the MOSFETs that these modules run.

The last repair I had done in 2011 failed on all four lamps so I wasn't keen to go back to the same guy. Whether it was skill or component failure I will not know, but after speaking to a mate in the trade yesterday and being assured that he could help me, I spent today down at his work shop pulling the LCM apart and replacing the four offending units.

All four headlamps are now working perfectly after we fitted up some second hand MOSFETs from other electronics jobs he has done. To be certain, I am still buying four brand new replacements and will fit them when they arrive just for my own piece of mind tbh.

Very happy with the amount of help I got from your forum members too regarding the issue. I was able to diagnose it pretty much to 95% certainty before even leaving my home which made me feel more confident. I confess that I was fairly nervous as to the possible cost to repair initially. My forte was properly tuning E28s and E32/E34 gave me my first real look at the growing BMW technology sprint, so I am a few years behind all this!!

All's well that ends well now though, and I am back on the road with a full compliment of lights that should last me the life of the car again. He even did a treatment on my headlamps that removed all of the yellow crazing and left them practically brand new to look at!! The light from my car is now of epic proportions - I never realised just how many Lumins that coating stole from me.

I hope to use the forum more and more now so I can find more answers to issues as they come up, and maybe even help out some members with the older Beemers - I have pre-delivered E30, E28, E32, E34 and the first of the test E39s that came into the country so hopefully I have some old and useful answers in my brain that will return the favour some day!

Anyway, I do go in at times.....hope to speak to more of you soon.

Cheers

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rec0n For This Useful Post:

payno (30-12-2013)

3. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    dapc's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Z3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    roadster

Thanks
    Hi, i have no idea how to help with your issue, but as you have made such a effort in your indroduction, Welcome!

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    johned's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e329i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    Welcome.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Rec0n's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    528i E39
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dapc View Post
    Hi, i have no idea how to help with your issue, but as you have made such a effort in your indroduction, Welcome!
    Thank you for the welcome.

I fixed my original problem of the headlamps not working/staying on constantly, so that was actually just my welcome..