hi people, a former 323ci owner...newbie on here :)

Notices

Thread: hi people, a former 323ci owner...newbie on here :)

Reply to Thread
  1. hi people, a former 323ci owner...newbie on here :) 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    AnthonyR's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Skyline - R34 GTT
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Tiptronic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    well i had an 323ci which i sold just over a year ago to buy my current car, a Nissan Skyline R34 GTT (my fave car!).............due to change of work and the commute, me keeping the R34 is not economical and the running costs are very high......
    Basically i am thinking of buying a E46 325 or 330 couple or vert. i have a couple of questions if i may:

1. if i want to increase the power on the E46 what is the best way to go about doing it without super charging it?

2. how does both compare on MPG?

3. is there a big difference between the facelift model and pre-face lift (apart from the slight appearance)?

4. can the m-sport bumpers be put on a pre-face lift model?

...........thanks in advance for your answers

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Amos's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 Evolution
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    6 Speed Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe & Vert
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 829 Posts
    Welcome to the forum mate, and it sounds like you're going be buying a nice car.

If you scout around the sub-forums of the E46 and also use the search button you should be able to come up with most of the answers yourself

Our E46 325ci Auto was reading 29.4 mpg today. So probably better than a liner.

Amos

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    AnthonyR's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Skyline - R34 GTT
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Tiptronic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    hi mate, thanks for the welcome. yes the r34 is a totally different car, it stage one tuned pushing about 300bhp, ......but along with it comes the running costs lol, so i think i will be selling it and getting a e46 depending on price etc.
    i was thinking of getting a 330ci as it has about 230bhp, i guess if i get it remapped it will push about 250bhp?
    ...........i shall be using that search button frequently!! lol

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Amos's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 Evolution
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    6 Speed Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe & Vert
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 829 Posts
    I think you will have to do quite a bit more than a remap to see 250 out of a 330ci. Better off going for pose value/looks rather than pace with those. They aint slow by any means but big money to get big power.

My 320+Bhp doesnt cost a lot to run.......why was the liner so expensive. My friend Keith owns SO.COM and he is always trying to persued me to get a Skyline........they are ok, but not got a wow factor now unless its an R34 GT-R. Would rather have an NSX if going Jap.

Amos

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    AnthonyR's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Skyline - R34 GTT
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Tiptronic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    oh thats kool, i am a member of SO.com and i know bigkeif ......seen his gtr a few times, well going side ways lol.....the skyline is costly because the insurance is group 20, you can only run them of super unleaded, plus servicing a few times a year and taking it to a reputable garage is a must. i love the car so will try my best to keep hold of it, but due to having to commute more soon it will cost me a packet!

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    DJ Syxx's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Hi welcome aboard. Wouldn't bother with the 325 as your after the power so go with the 330. Not much you can do to increase the power without spending the £££. A remap you will be lucky to get 10bhp . The mapping is pretty good on these cars from BMW so not much gain there. They are decent for what they so unless you want real power its either S/C or get an M3.

MPG again as I mentioned go for the 330, you will get virtually identical MPG and running costs from a 325 and 330.

Facelift and pre-facelift, off the top of my head, difference is the headlamps and the wing shape. Prefacelift IMO looks the better of the two. Engine is the same throughout the range, IIRC facelift models come with a 6 speed gearbox, early ones 5. 6th gear is more of an overdrive so would give slightly better MPG on motorway journeys. I think the ratio's are exactly the same from gears 1-5.

Yes you can fit M-Sport bumpers to pre-facelift. To save you the hassle of it though I would recommend you find a 330 sport as they come like that as standard.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    AnthonyR's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Skyline - R34 GTT
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Tiptronic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    brilliant help guys much appreciated. any thoughts on the Alpina E46? i hear that they push out about 300bhp, but a whole lot cheaper than a M3...
    Thanks again

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    DJ Syxx's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Alpinas are decent there are two variants. One is the B3 other the B3s. B3s has more power so thats the one to go for. Running costs similar to a 330, performance in between a 330 and an M3. Quite rare to find but they do pop up on autotrader from time to time. It is a car that you don't modify, original is best.

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    vauxfan's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    loon
    Thanks
    get a 330, superchargers are the way to go on these engines!, run 6-8 psi all day long, totally reliable if serviced regular!, m sport bumpers can on pre and post e46, and if you want the meener look then most agree the pre e46 is best!, just look at the M3, pre lights etc.
    mpg is prob not going to be spot on, as both seem to return around 30mpg, but with a supercharger you will drastically reduce that!, unlike the turbo the supercharger is delivering more power earlier,so using more fuel the minute you turn the key! as with the blower you will have to spool it up first so around 2.3-2.5 k before the power really kicks in!,
    But then again the r34 must be worth a packet?, you could buy an M3 for less that a 325-330 then supercharging, and i think there is returns of 28mpg recorded by members on long runs, unless you get a heavy right foot.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    AnthonyR's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Skyline - R34 GTT
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Tiptronic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    yea i have seen a few Alpina's which seem decent money. I however do like the M3 look, with the wider body, etc. I had a skyline r33 gts-t, then bought the 323, you can not compare the two, for power the r33 was far ahead, but the beemer is a totally different car, so i am still pondering on what i should do. if i were to get a M3, then i am defeating the purpose of cutting back on running costs lol...........but still tempting......i should get about £7500 for my R34 GTT, it has stage one upgrades and pushing 300bhp. As vauxfan said above it would be better to get a M3 rather than supercharging a 330