Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Hello All.

Newbie. Site comes well recommended.

A little about me. I learnt to drive in an e30 325i and then had use of it for a year or two after first getting my license and loved it it was a fantastic car.

About 2 to 2 and a half years ago i bought an e46 325i m sport at auction which tbh i was not overly impressed with seemed very sluggish just not enough power for the weight.

I currently have an audi a4 tdi which has covered massive miles and am now contemplating getting an e46 330d to replace it.

So a few questions.

First i prefer manual but since i do huge mileage auto seems best. Any pitfalls to having an auto.

Looking at buying a car with roughly 100k miles on the clock. Are there any known serious issues i need to be aware of with gbox, turbo or engine?

Also my a4 has a 65l tank and will do around 650 miles on a run. What sort of mileage should i expect from a 330D largely motorway?

Any must have's and not needed's?

Next consumables. I am told rear tyres will do 20k miles and front 25 ish correct or not?
    What am i looking at per corner for a decent set of tyres the audi runs 215 55 r16's iirc on michelin primacys which are roughly 90 quid a corner at the mo.

All help much appreciated.

Thanks
    James

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    BMWubbleu's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Hi James! I have a 330d 2003 with the 204hp oil burner and 6 speed manual. The 6 cylinder is a different world to that clunky VAG lump, it sounds so smooth by comparison. I had a 2004 325ci msport auto a while ago and I can tell you the 330d is a whole different world. The coupe was a slightly bigger spec and the auto was great but I only miss it in town traffic. The manual 330d does 40-44mpg (calculated not OB reading) on my mixed daily drive. It's done 103k now and can blow a bit of smoke on start up but no more than my bro's X5 which is 3 years old! The manual is a good 5mpg better than the auto so that'd still do 35mpg. I did 50k in two years in the 325ci on the big 18" MV2 alloys (different sizes front/back) I think I had 3 sets so 15-18K is realistic, I change them well before the 1.6mm as the handling drops big time at much below 3mm. Good Year F1's I found the best all round performers (they were about £180-£230 each) The msport spec is the best looking but things like the tyres can make things pricey if you do big miles. Front wishbone suspension bushes go quickly leading to wandering and knocking so replaced with powerflex and job done. Remove the swirl flaps for piece of mind which is a really simple procedure if you're confident. Brakes on the 330 are OK but nothing special and the discs can warp easily, I did my fronts with mintex discs and pads for less than £200. Manuals have the dual mass flywheel which is notorious and should be replaced every 2nd clutch so at 100k it should have been done, it's a £1k+ job. Look out for vibration through the transmission and judder/noise when pulling away. Mine got done by the dealer as I spotted it on the test drive. Turbos are generally reliable (320d has the turbo problems)
    Buying a 100k BM is all about condition and history. 330d's are bought for performance and to do mileage. Fortunately the early owners are likely to be bank managers rather than boy racers so fewer owners and high miles should be better. Stamped books are good, receipts are better as other work is generally picked up at service time! Follow the rules and 100k is just run in. You can do your head in reading horrors on forums so just do your homework. Eyes and ears open, know what to look for and remember even new cars get faults. Do it! it'll still be running long after the A4!

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    kevinbmw318is's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    hello and welcome
    as said history is the key and if it looks and drives well.
    bmws with serviced engines etc just keeps going and going.
    stanced vert OEM BABY! when verts go mad

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

tbb
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    tbb's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    a4 1.9tdi
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWubbleu View Post
    Hi James! I have a 330d 2003 with the 204hp oil burner and 6 speed manual. The 6 cylinder is a different world to that clunky VAG lump, it sounds so smooth by comparison. I had a 2004 325ci msport auto a while ago and I can tell you the 330d is a whole different world. The coupe was a slightly bigger spec and the auto was great but I only miss it in town traffic. The manual 330d does 40-44mpg (calculated not OB reading) on my mixed daily drive. It's done 103k now and can blow a bit of smoke on start up but no more than my bro's X5 which is 3 years old! The manual is a good 5mpg better than the auto so that'd still do 35mpg. I did 50k in two years in the 325ci on the big 18" MV2 alloys (different sizes front/back) I think I had 3 sets so 15-18K is realistic, I change them well before the 1.6mm as the handling drops big time at much below 3mm. Good Year F1's I found the best all round performers (they were about £180-£230 each) The msport spec is the best looking but things like the tyres can make things pricey if you do big miles. Front wishbone suspension bushes go quickly leading to wandering and knocking so replaced with powerflex and job done. Remove the swirl flaps for piece of mind which is a really simple procedure if you're confident. Brakes on the 330 are OK but nothing special and the discs can warp easily, I did my fronts with mintex discs and pads for less than £200. Manuals have the dual mass flywheel which is notorious and should be replaced every 2nd clutch so at 100k it should have been done, it's a £1k+ job. Look out for vibration through the transmission and judder/noise when pulling away. Mine got done by the dealer as I spotted it on the test drive. Turbos are generally reliable (320d has the turbo problems)
    Buying a 100k BM is all about condition and history. 330d's are bought for performance and to do mileage. Fortunately the early owners are likely to be bank managers rather than boy racers so fewer owners and high miles should be better. Stamped books are good, receipts are better as other work is generally picked up at service time! Follow the rules and 100k is just run in. You can do your head in reading horrors on forums so just do your homework. Eyes and ears open, know what to look for and remember even new cars get faults. Do it! it'll still be running long after the A4!
    Dont bet on it!!! My a4 is currently on 311500k miles and still going strong.

However i am tempted to replae it with a 3 or even maybe a 5 but think a 5 would be a bit too big tbh.

Ive always loved bms but my audi does what it says on the tin its just a case now of which would be cheaper to run overall not factoring fuel into the equation.