Notices

Thread: Hi All...

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Hi All... 
    Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    Hi Guys, I'm new to the forum. Look forward to browsing through

I have a 316i compact, (only 20, so 1.6 = affordable ) Various modifications so far and many on the 'to do' list.

Any advice/comments/suggestions are all welcome. Ive tried to make the car a little different to normal customised bmw's so it does stand out .

Thanks,

Chris

BMW e36 316i Compact - Morea Green Metallic 17" Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 Wheels white with 215/45/17 tires. Pipercross c/f backbox piping rerouted with powerflow stainless steel pipes. All lowers sprayed in white (side skirts, rear bumper, Front Bumper, grille surrounds), Sparco white/blue interior accessories (gear knob, gaiter, mats, seat belt pads), clear/black front projector indicators.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmerforums Central
    Car Details
    Boostist's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,481 Posts
    HI Chris and welcome to the forum

Your car looks good. not too OTT and very nicely done.

Only need to spray the bumper and sideskirts for full effect

I think clear side repeaters would be a good move (cheap to do as well)...and M3 mirrors maybe?

Dont buy the copies...they are normally a rubbish fit

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    thanks

yeah i have clear side repeaters in mind, and changing the rear lights to crystal red and white, get rid of the orange completely basically.

then possibly some angel eyes and drop it 35mm and tint windows. but thats all yet to come, small matter of money.

thanks for the comments, they are appreciated
    BMW e36 316i Compact - Morea Green Metallic 17" Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 Wheels white with 215/45/17 tires. Pipercross c/f backbox piping rerouted with powerflow stainless steel pipes. All lowers sprayed in white (side skirts, rear bumper, Front Bumper, grille surrounds), Sparco white/blue interior accessories (gear knob, gaiter, mats, seat belt pads), clear/black front projector indicators.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,052 Times in 5,322 Posts
    Does need a drop Chris, I would black the grill and colour code the rest as well but then like you say it wouldn't stand out

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    yea im going to drop it, probably be the next thing done, im thinking 35mm ish? somewhere around there.

and yea i might colour code it at some point, still happy with the whiteness at the mo. but yea might end up doing it thanks for the comments

Bimmerforums Central
    Car Details
    Boostist's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
    yea im going to drop it, probably be the next thing done, im thinking 35mm ish? somewhere around there.

and yea i might colour code it at some point, still happy with the whiteness at the mo. but yea might end up doing it thanks for the comments
    I know what you mean...the whiteness does look quite nice actually.
    A good contrast

RYM
    Legendary BFuk Member
    Car Details
    RYM's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,935 Times in 3,119 Posts
    The standard colour of the car and the whit go well together. Just trying to work out what would be best to do with the black though. I'm a firm believer of just using two colours on a vehicle, when there are three involved it becomes more difficult to get the right balance.

I think the white would be of more benefit maybe if you had a bodykit that took it closer to the ground. Reiger do one which include the deep m3 style sideskirts which I believe gives the car a more aggresive stance.

I had a 1.6 compact for a very short while and they're great little cars. It was lowered 50mm with 19" wheels on it and wheels never touched the arches.

What style of modification are you going for? Is it the classic "Boy racer" Load system, low ride, big wheels? or something different maybe? The E36 has alot of potential and so long as you keep it BMW style and not " Jap crap type modifications" then you can't really go wrong.

I'm sure you'll have much fun with it. Just a suggestion though... If you have any intention of upgrading to a more powerful beemer in the future then try to limit your spending. I made the mistake of modding my car to the point that it was cheaper for me to carry out an M3 conversion than it was to buy an M3 and mod it out again. Not that I regret it, I love beemers, but I certainly wouldn't do another one lol

Bimmerforums Central
    Car Details
    Boostist's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris J View Post

hi Chris

One word of advice.

Go for the Eibach springs if you drop it. They are 40mm iirc (the minimum drop I could find) and are well worth the cost.

If you decide to replace dampers as well, go with Bilsteins...NOT Konis IME

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    thanks for the comments guys. Just debadged the 316i, think the back looks a lot nicer now, lines are much smoother, managed to get it so theres no marks or anything, quite pleased with it.

@A20, i agree, i think the car colour and the white works together. I know what u mean about the black tho, i dont think it looks too bad, in the flesh the car does look quite different and the black doesnt show to much. some of the black is too fiddly to spray tho i think, hence why i have left it for now. In terms of the body kit, i have thought about it. money is the only issue. And once it has been lowered i think the standard skirts are going to look a lot nicer anyway, so ill probably lower it first then see. I am probably going to put some sort of spoiler on the back and maybe some kind of splitter/diffuser on the front, still havent really decided yet.

style wise i dont really want to go too over the top. Still keeping with the e36 general look, i think the shape is nice as it is. And with the white, in the flesh its kinda got a rally feel to it.

In terms of lowering, i was thinking springs and shocks, i was looking at the spax kit? anyone have any experience of spax? i will check out the eibach stuff thanks for the suggestion.

Just spent a good few hours polishing it as well, with mer. Really nice shine on it now, few more coats and it will be looking really nice. Ill get some pics when there some sun to shine off it

thanks for the comments guys, always welcome.

Cheers.

RYM
    Legendary BFuk Member
    Car Details
    RYM's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,935 Times in 3,119 Posts
    You're very right to want to keep the E36 look. It's an awesome shape!

If you add a front splitter then just remember that it will look alot lower than the rest of your car. If you like you can send me a PM with your email address and I can post you pictures of my car in the early stages of modification. I modified the front bumper to try and replicate the M3 bumper and added a laguna splitter... worked a treat. I didn't just mention putting a foreign car part on a BM did I??? ha ha

I'm sure it was PI springs that did a 50mm drop for the compact. I'll try and check it out. If you go lower than 40mm you must uprate the dampers to shortened ones. G-max are just one example.

Eibach are a fantastic brand and perform superbly with beemers.

You are right about the black, it doesn't seem to stand out too much as the white detailing is what catches the eye. I like the rally style, I was close to ripping my whole car apart to achieve this as I was getting my hair off with a few challenges I was having.

There was a saying I once heard " Life is a marathon, not a sprint" Remember this when modifying your car. It's not a race... do it properly, don't cut corners. It will show in the end result. My car is still a "work in progress" and I've owned it for 5 years now. This is mostly due to having the BUG and as a result my car was featured in Performance BMW and Redline magazine. Hopefully when it's complete Performance BMW may do a follow up article.

Keep posting and let us know how the progress goes, regardless of how long it takes.

Cheers
    Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast