HI all, newbie here....

Notices
 

Thread: HI all, newbie here....

Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. HI all, newbie here.... 
    #1
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    kzawilin's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    323i
    Year of Manufacture:
    1998
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Cabriolet

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    oxford, uk
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I just thought i would post a Hello to everyone.

    I have just ventured into E36 ownership with a rash purchase from ebay - a 323i Cabriolet with no MOT...... a bit of a winter project car......
    So far this forum has come in pretty useful for some repairs....

    In preparation for the MOT i have..
    Fitted new disks and pads on the front replacing the wear sensor
    Replaced the passenger outside door handle, what a PITA but do-able.
    Repaired my speedo - top half only displaying - quite a straight forward task...
    New Rear tyre

    Still to do for MOT.... (just waiting for the weather to improve and parts to arrive)
    Drivers outside door handle replacement
    LH front driving light is not working, High beam is ok... - bulb is ok, just no power getting to the unit
    Passenger interior handle replacement

    Still to do to tidy it up.....

    Clean interior
    minor paintwork
    refurb wheels
    Seat harness repairs (damaged by previous owner when swapping interior)
    ......

    And loads more

    Regards

    Karl
     
     

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  3.  
    #2
    BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Ronnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bournemouth, Dorset.
    Posts
    20,394
    Thanks
    6,198
    Thanked 7,051 Times in 5,322 Posts
    Welcome to the forum Karl, sounds a good little project you have there, was it one of those drunken rash purchases that happen a lot these days???
     
     

  4.  
    #3
    Bimmerforums Central
    Car Details
    Boostist's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    2001
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Boostist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    8,035
    Thanks
    3,347
    Thanked 3,425 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kzawilin View Post
    I just thought i would post a Hello to everyone.

    I have just ventured into E36 ownership with a rash purchase from ebay - a 323i Cabriolet with no MOT...... a bit of a winter project car......
    So far this forum has come in pretty useful for some repairs....

    In preparation for the MOT i have..
    Fitted new disks and pads on the front replacing the wear sensor
    Replaced the passenger outside door handle, what a PITA but do-able.
    Repaired my speedo - top half only displaying - quite a straight forward task...
    New Rear tyre

    Still to do for MOT.... (just waiting for the weather to improve and parts to arrive)
    Drivers outside door handle replacement
    LH front driving light is not working, High beam is ok... - bulb is ok, just no power getting to the unit
    Passenger interior handle replacement

    Still to do to tidy it up.....

    Clean interior
    minor paintwork
    refurb wheels
    Seat harness repairs (damaged by previous owner when swapping interior)
    ......

    And loads more

    Regards

    Karl
    Hi and welcome to the forum Karl
     
     

  5.  
    #4
    Bimmer Fan
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    1,817
    Thanked 7,115 Times in 5,338 Posts
    Hello and welcome Karl ...good luck with your project
     
     

  6.  
    #5
    BMW Master
    Car Details
    MTec B's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530d Sport MTec & 525d SE & X5 3.0d
    Year of Manufacture:
    2002 & 2001 & 2005
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic & Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloons & 4x4

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    470
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked 92 Times in 86 Posts
    Hiya Karl welcome....got your work cut out there then...good luck
     
     

  7.  
    #6
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    kzawilin's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    323i
    Year of Manufacture:
    1998
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Cabriolet

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    oxford, uk
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    Welcome to the forum Karl, sounds a good little project you have there, was it one of those drunken rash purchases that happen a lot these days???

    No it was a sober, calculated decision (Not sure which is worse)... I was confident i could fix the warning lights (brakes, airbag, etc), fix the speedo and everything else that would be required for the MOT. Lets wait and see what happens, hopefully, weather permitting it will be on the road in the next 2 weeks, still waiting for my Ebay parts to arrive though

    Karl.
     
     

  8.  
    #7
    BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Ronnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bournemouth, Dorset.
    Posts
    20,394
    Thanks
    6,198
    Thanked 7,051 Times in 5,322 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kzawilin View Post
    No it was a sober, calculated decision (Not sure which is worse)... I was confident i could fix the warning lights (brakes, airbag, etc), fix the speedo and everything else that would be required for the MOT. Lets wait and see what happens, hopefully, weather permitting it will be on the road in the next 2 weeks, still waiting for my Ebay parts to arrive though

    Karl.
    Well we are here if you need us
     
     

  9.  
    #8
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    kzawilin's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    323i
    Year of Manufacture:
    1998
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Cabriolet

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    oxford, uk
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    well, its now on the road....

    a few minor issues for the MOT, orange indicator bulbs not "orange" enough, 1 headlight out of alignment, the fuel filler cap didnt lock and finally one front tyre was illegal (it was 2mm on my little tool) but what the heck, its done now...

    so far, for a 1999 car its been pretty cheap to purchase and get back on the road.....

    Just general tidying up to do now and a few minor problems (that will probably turn into bigger problems) to sort out.....
     
     

  10.  
    #9
    BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Ronnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bournemouth, Dorset.
    Posts
    20,394
    Thanks
    6,198
    Thanked 7,051 Times in 5,322 Posts
    Fuel cap didn't lock? did it have a temporary one on there and it wasn't sealing?
     
     

  11.  
    #10
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    kzawilin's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    323i
    Year of Manufacture:
    1998
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Cabriolet

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    oxford, uk
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    yes it was a temporary one. It still has a temporary one now but it is a locking one. it only cost 4 quid which was worth it to get it through the MOT.

    Now I just need to sort out the high but stable idle speed. 1200rpm when warm. I haven't looked into it yet. I'll post in the forum topics if I have any issues, let's see what happens .......
     
     

Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Posting Permissions
  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts