Model of Car:
    525D Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Hi all, thought it best to introduce myself first before i run riot on the rest of the forums lol (jk).

Anyway, just picked up an Arval blue 2005 E60 525D Sport, (though i'd like to call it an M sport being exactly the same albeit 3 months to old to be called one officially )

Here she is...

I live in Teesside, and am 33 years young.

So erm, yeah, picked the car up on Friday, used it to commute to work so far, i was going to buy another Audi but now i'm really glad i didn't. My thoughts so far, i love it, i used to drive an Audi A3 2.0TFSi sportback, and this is so much more planted on the road, the steering is better and it's generally a better car all round.

I do have afew questions that would fit in different sections here, so i'll post them here and if they can't be answered, i'll post seperate posts...

1. Does my car suffer with the swirl flap problem? I read that it doesn't but i may have read wrong.

2. I have the professional nav, with the 2005 disc, to update it, isit just a matter of buying the 2011 disc (i seen a site run by rusty who seems to have a good reputation)

3. I have bluetooth phone prep, when i connect my iphone 4, every couple of minutes, whether listening to radio or cd, the music will cut out for 2seconds then come back on - the aerial symbol disappears and reappears - as if it's dropping the bluetooth signal.

4. Staying with the iphone - I don't have the aux option :( (tight first owner never specced it lol). I'd like to use my iphone as a source of music. Afaik, the options i have are....

Dension gateway 500 - expensive
    Parrot (i think)
    Retrofit an aux
    Use the cable that connects to the cd changer (i don't know too much about this)
    Is that it?

Which is the best way, i would ideally like idrive interaction - but i woun't lose any sleep if i don't get it if it saves my £300.

5. I have runflats fitted, still loads of life in them, i've heard that they are harsher on the road than normal tyres, can i stick normal tyres on instead?

6. General running of the car - i'm aware of the DPF needing changing at 120k miles (still got 30k left yet), what other things should i be keeping my eyes on that isn't listed on the service menu on idrive?

7. - Last one - i promise - Not on my list of to do's for a long while yet, but if i sourced a pair of HID front lights, is it a straight swap with the normal lights - what about the washers?

Thanks ever so much for your time - and i look forward to soaking up info on my new car

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Dogsoldier's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    645 CI
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wez130 View Post
    Hi all, thought it best to introduce myself first before i run riot on the rest of the forums lol (jk).

Anyway, just picked up an Arval blue 2005 E60 525D Sport, (though i'd like to call it an M sport being exactly the same albeit 3 months to old to be called one officially )

Here she is...

I live in Teesside, and am 33 years young.

So erm, yeah, picked the car up on Friday, used it to commute to work so far, i was going to buy another Audi but now i'm really glad i didn't. My thoughts so far, i love it, i used to drive an Audi A3 2.0TFSi sportback, and this is so much more planted on the road, the steering is better and it's generally a better car all round.

I do have afew questions that would fit in different sections here, so i'll post them here and if they can't be answered, i'll post seperate posts...

1. Does my car suffer with the swirl flap problem? I read that it doesn't but i may have read wrong.

2. I have the professional nav, with the 2005 disc, to update it, isit just a matter of buying the 2011 disc (i seen a site run by rusty who seems to have a good reputation)

3. I have bluetooth phone prep, when i connect my iphone 4, every couple of minutes, whether listening to radio or cd, the music will cut out for 2seconds then come back on - the aerial symbol disappears and reappears - as if it's dropping the bluetooth signal.

4. Staying with the iphone - I don't have the aux option :( (tight first owner never specced it lol). I'd like to use my iphone as a source of music. Afaik, the options i have are....

Parrot (i think)
    Retrofit an aux
    Use the cable that connects to the cd changer (i don't know too much about this)
    Is that it?

Which is the best way, i would ideally like idrive interaction - but i woun't lose any sleep if i don't get it if it saves my £300.

5. I have runflats fitted, still loads of life in them, i've heard that they are harsher on the road than normal tyres, can i stick normal tyres on instead?

6. General running of the car - i'm aware of the DPF needing changing at 120k miles (still got 30k left yet), what other things should i be keeping my eyes on that isn't listed on the service menu on idrive?

7. - Last one - i promise - Not on my list of to do's for a long while yet, but if i sourced a pair of HID front lights, is it a straight swap with the normal lights - what about the washers?

Thanks ever so much for your time - and i look forward to soaking up info on my new car

First off Welcome....

Second good choice of car....

I can only answer some of your questions (someone will be along shortly to help with the rest) as im new to this too

1. Yes it does suffer. I am getting mine doen tommorrow morning as a piece of mind factor.

2. I only have business CD sorry (using a TOM TOM)

3. Im no expert but could be a problem with the Iphone. try connecting a mates phone to see if it does it with that.

4. I have the aux option and its an easy fit apparently (dont quote me)

5. I had runflats on previous bimmers and hated them. so loud and heavy. Get tyres. much quieter.

6. Oil breather filter. get it changed. and the EGR may need cleaning out.

7. Im thinking about a hid kit too.

Hope this helps u on ya way.....
    Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war.

Previous BMWs owned:
    2008 120D
    2009 123D M Sport
    2006 525D M Sport

2004 645CI Coupe (Current Car)
    Mods:
    Remap 370 BHP Est
    MIJ Performance back boxes
    De-Chromed
    Tinted windows
    20" Cades Bern
    LED Angel eyes and LED replacement all round

Please donate to RALLY FOR HEROES http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/EdwardKingsland

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dogsoldier For This Useful Post:

wez130 (20-03-2011)

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    530kam's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530d M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    A) yes it does have the swirl flaps - i removed mine. read up about them and then make a decision. i couldn't live with a time bomb under the bonnet

A)yes you can but it's expensive from the stealers - look in the ICE forum and you'll see cheaper versions that will give you 7 digit postcode in a convaluted way.

A)don't have so don't know

A) pass

Parrot (i think)
    Retrofit an aux
    Is that it?

A) one of our members has just had this fitted. circa £250-£300 and it's an oem ipod connection in place of the 6 cd changer

A) fit normal tyres and buy a proper skinny wheel kit from the stealer £175 or keep a can of tyre weld and a compressor - i went for a proper spare/brace/jack

A) get into hidden menu,check test 7 for coolant temp - don't be suprised if your running cold at 60-80C - a sure indication that one of your two thermostats isn't opening correctly (egr or main) - get them replaced so that the system gets to a normal temp (88-92C) , this will extend the life of your DPF by doing a regen occasionally which burns of the soot

A) only know of one person doing it - wasn't as easy as he imagined

and lastly - lovely car
    Bavarian Motor Works
    530d M Sport Auto in Carbon Black with Black Leather

Options: Sat Nav Professional,Bluetooth,Folding rear seats, Playstation II, Sony 10 DVD player, Twin headrest monitors & wireless headphones
    Modifications: De flapped,Spare wheel kit, Falken 452's,retrofit BMW Ipod & full software upgrade
    Wish List: window tints & spoiler

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 530kam For This Useful Post:

wez130 (20-03-2011)

7. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    xXxStKxXx's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    man
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Thanked 6,073 Times in 4,855 Posts
    Hi Wez130,Welcome to Bimmerforums.co.uk...................

Your car looks very nice

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Joe9087's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320ci M-Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,701 Times in 2,156 Posts
    Welcome

Nice car

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    wez130's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    525D Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Hi guys, thanks for the responses so far, i'm at work atm taking a quick skive lol. I've got a spare couple of hours this afternoon so i was going to have a look on here regarding the secret menu thing. I drove up the A19 this morning in 5th gear at just under 3k revs for about 5 minutes to try and force a DPF regen, trouble is, i wouldn't have a clue whether it did or not.

I have one more question, I got a warranty with the car from MB&G, i never bought the car from a main dealer - Has anyone had any experience from them? They will pay upto £1000 towards any claim. If i had to say claim for an injector or turbo or such, how much would i be looking at from an indy? Anything else i should watch out for?

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    530kam's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530d M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    you won't know exactly when the dpf needs a regen, but doing what you did up the A19 every now and again is a good idea.
    Mine gets up to Coventry at least once a month (if not more to the outlaws) and i make sure i run her in 5th for about 10 mins (and at least 1/2 a tank of jungle juice)
    Bavarian Motor Works

Options: Sat Nav Professional,Bluetooth,Folding rear seats, Playstation II, Sony 10 DVD player, Twin headrest monitors & wireless headphones
    Modifications: De flapped,Spare wheel kit, Falken 452's,retrofit BMW Ipod & full software upgrade

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    wez130's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    525D Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    What kind of cost am i looking at to replace the thermostats -if they are running cold?

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    530kam's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530d M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    i paid £360 all in at a top end indy that happens to be a mile down the road

you have to way up £360 v £1500 for an early dpf departure
    Bavarian Motor Works

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    wez130's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    525D Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Could i get the thermostats replacedunder warranty? I've just been for a 12 mile drive, A+B road for ~ 15 minutes, got stuck behind a transit doing 35 on the B road though - tit was driving in the middle of the road so i couldn't overtake him. Anyway, temp got upto a steady 77 degrees. I don't know if i had driven longer it would have gone up more.

Eitherway, when it is time to replace the DPF, i'll probably going down the route of bypassing it with the remap at half the price, that way i'll have one thing less to worry about with an increase in performance and economy, win win?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to wez130 For This Useful Post:

530kam (17-03-2011)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast