Year of Manufacture:
    1992 & 1988
    Transmission Type:
    Manual & Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe & Coupe

Thanks
    Hi all,

Im new to the forum looking for some information and advice on buying a BMW for my dad.

In the past our family has had the following BMW's

E30 316i 87 Red 4dr
    E36 320i 96 Green 4dr

I'm now on the hunt for one of the following BMW's for my dad as a 2nd car (show car / drivers car)

E3
    E9
    E24 (subject to convincing him its not too long)

I was hoping to get a bit of advice from you guys:

1) Could anyone tell me where the best place to find an E3 or E9 in good - superb condition? Ive looked on autotrader, ebay, classiccars and found a handful but as these are now collectors items I wondered if there was somewhere else I should be looking for them?

2) If I was to get my dad an E3 or an E9 what would you suggest as the best model of those produced to go for? He was looking at the CSL (for obvious reason) but just thought you may know better as you are the experts!

3) What sort of value do E3's & E9's hold in a good - superb condition? Ive seen prices ranging from £6k to £25k for good looking ones thus far...

4) Does anyone know or can point me in the right direction to find the dimensions of the E24, E3 and E9?

If I can convince my dad that the E24 is not a lot longer than the E3 and E9 then I may be able to convince him to buy one of those .. as I like the E24 better ;-P

I tried looking for details on the E3 and E9 but couldnt find sections on them .. may post in the E24 section if you guys feel it would help answer my questions

Btw just in case you were interested my dads current car is a Mercedes-Benz C240 Sport (W202) 99 T plate so this BMW would be to compliment that car (the merc as the daily runner and the BM as the show car / weekend driver)

PS I drive a 92 VW Scirocco Gt2 just to be different

All and any help you may be able to provide would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

RYM
    Legendary BFuk Member
    Car Details
    RYM's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,935 Times in 3,119 Posts
    Welcome to the forum

Personally i've never heard of the E3 or E9

I've just had a look on BMW archive http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do...&kind=P&arch=1 Is it known as anything else???

What years were they produced?

Bimmerforums Central
    Car Details
    Boostist's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,481 Posts
    HI Blue streak.

Welcome to Bimmerforums mate

nice scirocco by the way My friend is heavily into the VAG scene and I have to say I have a soft spot for them myself.
    I own a VW T4 transporter for starters for work and lugging stuff

ok, to try and answer your questions
    1) Could anyone tell me where the best place to find an E3 or E9 in good - superb condition? Ive looked on autotrader, ebay, classiccars and found a handful but as these are now collectors items I wondered if there was somewhere else I should be looking for them?

2) If I was to get my dad an E3 or an E9 what would you suggest as the best model of those produced to go for? He was looking at the CSL (for obvious reason) but just thought you may know better as you are the experts!

3) What sort of value do E3's & E9's hold in a good - superb condition? Ive seen prices ranging from £6k to £25k for good looking ones thus far...

4) Does anyone know or can point me in the right direction to find the dimensions of the E24, E3 and E9?

If I can convince my dad that the E24 is not a lot longer than the E3 and E9 then I may be able to convince him to buy one of those .. as I like the E24 better ;-P

I tried looking for details on the E3 and E9 but couldnt find sections on them .. may post in the E24 section if you guys feel it would help answer my questions

Btw just in case you were interested my dads current car is a Mercedes-Benz C240 Sport (W202) 99 T plate so this BMW would be to compliment that car (the merc as the daily runner and the BM as the show car / weekend driver)

PS I drive a 92 VW Scirocco Gt2 just to be different
    Firstly, E3 and E9?? thats a bit out of my experience range!!
    http://members.aol.com/bmwbavaria/index4.htm

I am guessing you mean the E3 as in the link above?

They dont exist which is why there is no section for them!!!
    if you can say what model and year of car we can tell you the code number.

I suggest you post in the general bmw section if you have some specific questions about the car models above as we dont currently have classic bmw section...BUT...if there is some demand for it it can be done no problem (thinking about it it may be a good idea actually)

Anyway, back on topic.

1/ here is some nice E9s

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/...justsearched=1

I honestly have no clue where you would get an E3 apart from maybe posting a wanted ad on some classic car forums.
    Try ebay of course as some gems crop up from time to time (classics)
    Also pistonheads.com but they dont have any as I checked!

2/ From my general BM classic knowledge (limited if Im honest) I would definately go CSL if he can a/find one and b/ afford it.
    Rarity value and extra spec are the clincher on that one for me.

3/pass...again, a classic car forum may know more. But prices on that type of car are subjective...as there are no guide prices. If you watch the market for them for a while (if you can find an E3 that is!!!) you will get an idea but it seems to be around 8k to 15k from the briedf look Ive had

4/ pass again Im afraid

Such intimate specs will only be gleanable from a major E3 or E9 collector or fan....I imagine they would have to measure the car for you as I cant find specs ANYWHERE

HTH

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    bluestreak56's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Scirocco 16V & 635Csi
    Year of Manufacture:
    1992 & 1988
    Transmission Type:
    Manual & Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe & Coupe

Thanks
    Hi guys, thanks for the welcome!

Yes the E3 and the E9 are pretty old so im not surprised theyre little known ..

They also go by the name of the BMW New Six and sometimes the Big Six - People may also know them as the original CSL range and CS too.. Same era as the 2002...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_New_Six

They were produced between 1968 and 1977 so real collectors cars these days and looking at them were the basis for the E24 and the E23 ..

Ive so far found 5 worthy candidates - 3 on ebay, 2 on classicarsforsale and Ive also scoured autotrader, pistonheads, ebay and 5 other classic car websites .. I shall keep looking though!

Thanks boostist Im a massive Rocco fan have been for years but it was really touch a go for a while as to whether I would buy that or an E24 .. maybe Ill get one of those some day too

Thanks for answering as much as you guys did, I'll try the E24 section to see if there are any links to the brochure's / spec sheets to find out if they list the dimensions...

I saw an E24 on my drive home tonight, shame I was on a main road or I wouldve gotten out and measured it!!

Thanks again guys and anyone else who can shed some light, I'd much appreciate it

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,052 Times in 5,322 Posts
    Welcome to the forum bluestreak56, good to have you with us

you will be looking for a while for a tidy e3 or e9 but it will be worth the wait

the e24 is 4755 mm long (187.2 in)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    bluestreak56's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Scirocco 16V & 635Csi
    Year of Manufacture:
    1992 & 1988
    Transmission Type:
    Manual & Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe & Coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    Welcome to the forum bluestreak56, good to have you with us

you will be looking for a while for a tidy e3 or e9 but it will be worth the wait

the e24 is 4755 mm long (187.2 in)

Many thanks Ronnie ! I think my dads merc is presently 4478 so its a bit longer :-(

Oh well Ill keep looking for an E3 / E9 and hope for the best!