BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Hi all, going to buy a beemer soon

Tags
beemer buy
1K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Pantmonkey 
#1 ·
Hi thought i would join a bmw forum as im going to be buying a e46 318 sport.
Is there many common faults with these?
Is there a for sale section on this forum?
Cheers

#2 ·
This area is more for just saying hello and introducing yourself... welcome :thumbsup

You'll want to post this question in the General BMW section, or perhaps have a look in the E46 Tech section first.

The vast majority will advise against the 318 4pot and steer you toward a 320 at least - far more reliable, a bit quicker and most importantly - a 'proper' BMW inline 6 :thumbsup

#3 · (Edited)
318 4pot and steer you toward a 320 at least
+1, unless there is a massive difference on your insurance policy between a 318 and a 320.

By the way, what year e46? Because I know that BMW slammed a 4pot 2litre into a 318. But still, the 6pot engine is better and you'll almost jizz your pants everytime you press the gas pedal.

#4 ·
Im looking for something cheap as this is my run about and im on 19 so insurance isnt great and im building a supercharged 106
Is there much difference in the tax and running cost etc.
Im looking for an 04 ish plate, either black or grey

#6 ·
Not sure but I expect on paper the 318 will look cheaper to run. In practice though there won't be a lot in it - especially since the 318's seem prone to grenading if improperly serviced.

To be honest mate, because of the insurance any BMW will not make a cheap runaround for a young driver... to me it's either all or nothing and if I were you I'd not bother until you've got the 106 out of your system and can pump some more money into the BMW.

Just my opinion of course, but likely not what you want to hear :(

#7 ·
Yea i can see what you mean, the problem i have is that a sold my jeep an bought a standard astra sxi for some reason. The astra has been the most boring vehicle i have owned and one of the most uncomfy. The 106 wont be done untill around summer time next year as i need to find another garage to keep it in and havent been able to work on it for the last month.
Its good to have views and opinions of other people who have experience. Im going to price insurance up later and decide what to do.
Thanks for the help :)

#12 ·
My e46 320d is £550 a year and Im only 25.
Shame the insurance is the cheap part.... still got 150bhp turbo for a e46 320d i can't shift from my old beemer. these are not cheap cars....

#14 ·
I reversed over a motorbike last year being an idiot or mine might be lower
No one on the bike luckily....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.