None
    Transmission Type:
    None
    Car Body Type:
    None

Thanks
    Hi guys,

Just a quick post to introduce myself.

I LOVE BMW's (cars in general really..). I think that they look stunning, drive beautifully, sound brilliant and have great quality interiors, which makes them a joy to be in.

I am currently waiting for exam results in August to find out whether or not I'm heading to University, but i'd really like a BMW 6 series. I think that they look gorgeous :-)!

I have had some online businesses (yep at 18!) which I managed to sell off for a nice price and I have decided that my first real purchase would be a 6 series, but I have come here to find out more information and such about it.

Also, i'm not sure if I should really get one yet as i'll most likely be heading to University, but it's nice to join the community and take a look at others :-).

Sorry for the lecture!

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    PhilBMW's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Non
    Year of Manufacture:
    None
    Transmission Type:
    None
    Car Body Type:
    None

Thanks
    Hey,

Oh yeah I mean the newer shape 6 series, beautiful car!

Sure, running costs + insurance is a bit of a pain, but I highly doubt that i'd make a purchase yet anyhow. With university in 2 months, it'd be silly to spend the money on a car and not use it (i'll be living on a campus).

I'll just take a look at the cars on this forum to see what people are doing with them.

I love ALL BMW'S anyway (my dad has a newer (2006) 5 series after selling his old 3 series).

Hopefully I can learn a thing or two from you guys!

Cheers

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    johnky90's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E63 M6
    Year of Manufacture:
    2005 (55)
    Transmission Type:
    SMG
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Welcome to forum!

As Neal suggested, 2nd hand 6series are at bargain price at the moment.
    I got myself a nice 6er after I got into Uni, enjoying a lot so far.

I totally agree with you, 6 series look gorgeous and amazing..
    but before you buy one, you gotta consider a few things..
    Let me just give you a rough idea of what it is like to own a smallest engine sized 6er..
    insurance is pain in the a$$.. you probably wanna try some quotes on the internet before you even look at cars on stock.
    (as a matter of fact I had to pay quarter of car price for insurance last year when I was 20)
    this year, as i joined 21-24 year old zone, my insurance dropped to half price, making it around 2.5k.
    insurance price depends on how old you are, how many NCBs you have, where you live, where you park, how many miles you do on average, purpose of usage and engine size, orientation of vehicle(sport/non sport) and so on..
    from what I've experienced.. for 630i sport, if you live in a good neighborhood, drive less than 5k, social purpose only, garaged, and try to insure when you're 19, it's gonna be either uninsurable or around 10~23k.
    adding your family member's name (such as your father or mother) on the policy will help putting the price down a lot
    (my friend had lambo gallardo coupe when he was 19, he paid 22k
    the other guy had 120d convertible, he paid 2k
    another guy with e46 m3 coupe, he paid 9k)

i'm not quite sure but.. if you meant F12 models (the newer ones) you're looking at over 60k..
    if it's facelifted e63/64 you are talking about, then consider 25~35k for descent ones..
    extended warrenty is about 1k per year,
    tyres/oil/brake disc/pad are..(really ambiguous cus changing periods are different) around 1~2k
    fuel depends on how many miles you do and also driving style
    and i'll exclude the extra expenditures (tunning, decoration, cleaning products etc)
    Tax 450quid

so i'd say it'll cost around £2,500~£3,500 annually excluding insurance and fuel price and extra expenditures

man I was exactly like you just a few years ago,, i've done some business and tradings while studying at school but i was a lucky one cus i had continuous fund coming from my parents whenever i went low..(which didn't help me much on improving my skills) but do consider seriously about taking that money for investment rather than disposing on an expensive toy (no offence meant)cus.. you have a real good future coming up at uni and there are really a lot of things you could do at uni with that money too.

sorry about long essay.. i hope that helps though
    PM me if you wanna ask more questions,
    and good luck with your exam results! (i feel you man, i had that moment just a while ago )
    Never think of your car as a cold machine, but as a hot-blooded horse.
    Juan Manuel Fangio (1958)

-E63 M6
    -E63 630i Sport Coupe SOLD

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    PhilBMW's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Non
    Year of Manufacture:
    None
    Transmission Type:
    None
    Car Body Type:
    None

Thanks
    Hey,

Wow thanks for the great answer!

I'd definitely look at getting a 2nd hand one, what year at uni were you in when you bought the car?

I've looked around at 2005-6 models and they seem to be around £15k, not bad at all.

Insurance and such will be a bit of a pain and the companies that i've tried have all rejected me so far!

Ah well.

And regarding your advice about saving it - I am doing just that :-). I always have a new venture (or several at a time) on the go and have a a special fund just for that, but I thought i'd treat myself a little :-).

It's gonna be fun trying to find insurance...hah!

Cheers .
    Quote Originally Posted by johnky90 View Post
    Welcome to forum!

As Neal suggested, 2nd hand 6series are at bargain price at the moment.
    I got myself a nice 6er after I got into Uni, enjoying a lot so far.

I totally agree with you, 6 series look gorgeous and amazing..
    but before you buy one, you gotta consider a few things..
    Let me just give you a rough idea of what it is like to own a smallest engine sized 6er..
    insurance is pain in the a$$.. you probably wanna try some quotes on the internet before you even look at cars on stock.
    (as a matter of fact I had to pay quarter of car price for insurance last year when I was 20)
    this year, as i joined 21-24 year old zone, my insurance dropped to half price, making it around 2.5k.
    insurance price depends on how old you are, how many NCBs you have, where you live, where you park, how many miles you do on average, purpose of usage and engine size, orientation of vehicle(sport/non sport) and so on..
    from what I've experienced.. for 630i sport, if you live in a good neighborhood, drive less than 5k, social purpose only, garaged, and try to insure when you're 19, it's gonna be either uninsurable or around 10~23k.
    adding your family member's name (such as your father or mother) on the policy will help putting the price down a lot
    (my friend had lambo gallardo coupe when he was 19, he paid 22k
    the other guy had 120d convertible, he paid 2k
    another guy with e46 m3 coupe, he paid 9k)

i'm not quite sure but.. if you meant F12 models (the newer ones) you're looking at over 60k..
    if it's facelifted e63/64 you are talking about, then consider 25~35k for descent ones..
    extended warrenty is about 1k per year,
    tyres/oil/brake disc/pad are..(really ambiguous cus changing periods are different) around 1~2k
    fuel depends on how many miles you do and also driving style
    and i'll exclude the extra expenditures (tunning, decoration, cleaning products etc)
    Tax 450quid

so i'd say it'll cost around £2,500~£3,500 annually excluding insurance and fuel price and extra expenditures

man I was exactly like you just a few years ago,, i've done some business and tradings while studying at school but i was a lucky one cus i had continuous fund coming from my parents whenever i went low..(which didn't help me much on improving my skills) but do consider seriously about taking that money for investment rather than disposing on an expensive toy (no offence meant)cus.. you have a real good future coming up at uni and there are really a lot of things you could do at uni with that money too.

sorry about long essay.. i hope that helps though
    PM me if you wanna ask more questions,
    and good luck with your exam results! (i feel you man, i had that moment just a while ago )

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    johnky90's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E63 M6
    Year of Manufacture:
    2005 (55)
    Transmission Type:
    SMG
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilBMW View Post
    Hey,

Wow thanks for the great answer!

I'd definitely look at getting a 2nd hand one, what year at uni were you in when you bought the car?

I've looked around at 2005-6 models and they seem to be around £15k, not bad at all.

Insurance and such will be a bit of a pain and the companies that i've tried have all rejected me so far!

Ah well.

And regarding your advice about saving it - I am doing just that :-). I always have a new venture (or several at a time) on the go and have a a special fund just for that, but I thought i'd treat myself a little :-).

It's gonna be fun trying to find insurance...hah!

Cheers .
    YES!!
    if you do have some money laid away (other than savings for investment) purchasing a 6er for a treat is great idea!!
    if you got enough funds to deal with it, (without much stress on running) then i bet you'll never regret buying one cus 6 series are AMAZING!

First of all, I wouldn't recommend cars over 60~70k miles, I'm no expert but I had an advice from neal (AFCneal) that 6ers are not exactly meant to last that long (compare to e46 models, for instance, which apparently drives superbly even after 150k).
    You'll still be able to run it, but a lot of parts will be falling apart here and there.. you get the point
    I got mine last year, 2006 (56) reg with 30k on the clock for £23,000, plus it was BMW approved. Came with 1 year AUC warranty.
    I would recommend you to buy Approved used cars if possible but they can be (and usually) slightly over priced. I reckon you would probably be better off buying privately with full BMW history. Don't buy the ones that come with private dealership's 'Golden Warrenty', or 'First class Warrenty' stuff. Buy ones with full BMW maintenance history, ask BMW for extended warranty.
    That's probably the best idea..IMO

Secondly, I gotta tell you.. I am slightly regretting about getting 3.0 straight 6. I mean, I had to get it due to insurance price but.. 6er is quite heavy, I sometimes get feeling that I need a bit of more grunt..(since I had 335i before this 630i)
    I have a quote from my insurance company that mine's gonna go down by lots next year with extra NCB, I'm thinking of getting either 650i or M6. (yes, I am a 6er lover)
    Nevertheless, I'm not claiming that 630i is slow. Its got the lightest production straight 6 engine in the world, which is good enough to make you feel sporty.
    2005~2006 model produce 260hp and after models produce 272hp. Minor improvement but I reckon it's pretty much 2006 630i+ECU mapped so..
    If you have a look at 6 series section on this forum, you'll find both common problems and solutions people posted there. People here are very kind and friendly.

Lastly.. don't call each insurance companies. Try websites.
    I used 'comparethemarkets.co.uk', put your info in, get number of quotes from different companies. Companies called 'elephant', which is the one I am using now, 'Admiral', 'Diamond', 'Bells' provide relatively cheap insurance quote for young/modified drivers. They are actually all one same company but in different names..they do tend to have slight difference between prices though, so do try all companies.
    Once you get the quotes (hopefully at descent price), call companies and ask detail, what you get for, etc..
    Again, if your family lives here, putting their name on the policy will help a lot pricewise, but don't recommend submitting your grandma's name or.. you know
    Try to save the quotes too. They give you quote code (reference number) and they last for about 3months I think. The price could go up by the time you actually buy it and you can prevent this by asking for previous quotes.

um..
    I am pretty sure you won't get any quotes for either 645/650i.
    I tried, uninsurable.
    630i do get better mpgs but not by much (around 2~3mpg at most I think)
    When engine and exhaust is heated up, you put it in sport mode with steptronic DS mode, electronic valve in exhaust system opens up and it generates quite a good sound. (Like.. e92/93 335/328i but louder in 6er IMO)
    engine is BMW N52, same as e90/92/93 328i, xi, e83, e70, e85, e86, e60 many many more but exact spec engine(258ps, 190kW) goes into e89 Z4 sDrive30i, E65/66 730i.
    People claim 0-60 of around 6.2 at tops, but I reckon around 6.5 and on paper 6.7.
    Fuel does about 22mpg on mine (both city and motorway combined, gentle drive)
    Options that I would suggest you to look for
    -Electric Sunroof
    -Red dakota or beige/silver leather (black is okay but boring..)
    -Sport version (non-sport '630i' doesn't come with dynamic drive, no fun)
    -Logic 7 surround system's good but not necessary IMO
    -Professional navigation system
    that's it I think.. other ones come as standard and pretty well equipped.
    Oh, a cupholder would be very nice.. I always put my bottle between legs..

just to let you know, I study at Uni of Warwick.
    Some friends drive e92 M3, Bentley Continental GT speed, even rolls..but they all usually walk, and so do I. lots of boy ricers growling around campus revving...not an ideal thing to do

anyways, hope good insurance quote turns up..
    let me know if there's anything else i can help you with,
    Cheers!
    Never think of your car as a cold machine, but as a hot-blooded horse.
    Juan Manuel Fangio (1958)

-E63 M6
    -E63 630i Sport Coupe SOLD

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    mr sideways's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i individual
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    vert
    Thanks
    you would be stupid to get a 6 series at 18, even if you could get insurance it would be more per year than the car is worth.

untill you are 21 look at a 320D or a 118D coupe, both very nice cars and will be insurable.

" I have done alot of stuff i am not proud of, and the stuff i am proud of is just disgusting"

BMW Master
    Car Details
    hexstatic's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318iS
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    get yourself an M3 tbh :-)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    PhilBMW's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Non
    Year of Manufacture:
    None
    Transmission Type:
    None
    Car Body Type:
    None

Thanks
    Hey,

WOW great answer, thank you so much!

I'd buy a 6 series purely on it's looks, even if it did drive like my old banger vauxhall Corsa.

I'm not too worried about power as of yet considering my last proper car was a 1litre Corsa (although I did drive my dads 520 for a month) - somehow I managed to get insured on that for £30 for 90 days but we cancelled it after a month as I wasn't really driving it.

But websites such as comparethemarket/gocompare etc dont usually offer me the best prices and I use the lesser known companies such as Coverbox etc, hopefully they can get me a better deal.

I might have to have a car on campus haha, I guess I wouldn't have to drive into town :-).

I'll take a look at the 645 but it'll probably kill me on insurance hah!

Cheers for your help

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by johnky90 View Post
    YES!!
    if you do have some money laid away (other than savings for investment) purchasing a 6er for a treat is great idea!!
    if you got enough funds to deal with it, (without much stress on running) then i bet you'll never regret buying one cus 6 series are AMAZING!

First of all, I wouldn't recommend cars over 60~70k miles, I'm no expert but I had an advice from neal (AFCneal) that 6ers are not exactly meant to last that long (compare to e46 models, for instance, which apparently drives superbly even after 150k).
    You'll still be able to run it, but a lot of parts will be falling apart here and there.. you get the point
    I got mine last year, 2006 (56) reg with 30k on the clock for £23,000, plus it was BMW approved. Came with 1 year AUC warranty.
    I would recommend you to buy Approved used cars if possible but they can be (and usually) slightly over priced. I reckon you would probably be better off buying privately with full BMW history. Don't buy the ones that come with private dealership's 'Golden Warrenty', or 'First class Warrenty' stuff. Buy ones with full BMW maintenance history, ask BMW for extended warranty.
    That's probably the best idea..IMO

Secondly, I gotta tell you.. I am slightly regretting about getting 3.0 straight 6. I mean, I had to get it due to insurance price but.. 6er is quite heavy, I sometimes get feeling that I need a bit of more grunt..(since I had 335i before this 630i)
    I have a quote from my insurance company that mine's gonna go down by lots next year with extra NCB, I'm thinking of getting either 650i or M6. (yes, I am a 6er lover)
    Nevertheless, I'm not claiming that 630i is slow. Its got the lightest production straight 6 engine in the world, which is good enough to make you feel sporty.
    2005~2006 model produce 260hp and after models produce 272hp. Minor improvement but I reckon it's pretty much 2006 630i+ECU mapped so..
    If you have a look at 6 series section on this forum, you'll find both common problems and solutions people posted there. People here are very kind and friendly.

Lastly.. don't call each insurance companies. Try websites.
    I used 'comparethemarkets.co.uk', put your info in, get number of quotes from different companies. Companies called 'elephant', which is the one I am using now, 'Admiral', 'Diamond', 'Bells' provide relatively cheap insurance quote for young/modified drivers. They are actually all one same company but in different names..they do tend to have slight difference between prices though, so do try all companies.
    Once you get the quotes (hopefully at descent price), call companies and ask detail, what you get for, etc..
    Again, if your family lives here, putting their name on the policy will help a lot pricewise, but don't recommend submitting your grandma's name or.. you know
    Try to save the quotes too. They give you quote code (reference number) and they last for about 3months I think. The price could go up by the time you actually buy it and you can prevent this by asking for previous quotes.

um..
    I am pretty sure you won't get any quotes for either 645/650i.
    I tried, uninsurable.
    630i do get better mpgs but not by much (around 2~3mpg at most I think)
    When engine and exhaust is heated up, you put it in sport mode with steptronic DS mode, electronic valve in exhaust system opens up and it generates quite a good sound. (Like.. e92/93 335/328i but louder in 6er IMO)
    engine is BMW N52, same as e90/92/93 328i, xi, e83, e70, e85, e86, e60 many many more but exact spec engine(258ps, 190kW) goes into e89 Z4 sDrive30i, E65/66 730i.
    People claim 0-60 of around 6.2 at tops, but I reckon around 6.5 and on paper 6.7.
    Fuel does about 22mpg on mine (both city and motorway combined, gentle drive)
    Options that I would suggest you to look for
    -Electric Sunroof
    -Red dakota or beige/silver leather (black is okay but boring..)
    -Sport version (non-sport '630i' doesn't come with dynamic drive, no fun)
    -Logic 7 surround system's good but not necessary IMO
    -Professional navigation system
    that's it I think.. other ones come as standard and pretty well equipped.
    Oh, a cupholder would be very nice.. I always put my bottle between legs..

just to let you know, I study at Uni of Warwick.
    Some friends drive e92 M3, Bentley Continental GT speed, even rolls..but they all usually walk, and so do I. lots of boy ricers growling around campus revving...not an ideal thing to do

anyways, hope good insurance quote turns up..
    let me know if there's anything else i can help you with,
    Cheers!