Hello From Dorset, First BMW An E46 330d Sport Tourer With Pics !

Notices

Thread: Hello From Dorset, First BMW An E46 330d Sport Tourer With Pics !

Reply to Thread
  1. Hello From Dorset, First BMW An E46 330d Sport Tourer With Pics ! 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    rockhopper's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Hi, just purchased my first Bimmer after months of searching, the car appears so far to be in fine fettle for a 2002 model, it's metallic navy blue and has done 90,000 miles with full BMW service history, I will find out more when it goes in for a thorough check in the next couple of weeks.

Going to do the usual service items myself but could do with a little clarification on the oil breather, should I change the whole unit or just the filter itself and for my model year (52 reg) do I go with the original loo roll type or will the upgraded vortex style one fit and be better ?

Should I look to clean the EGR and blank off or is it better to go for a bypass pipe like this one eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Anything else that I should be looking to get done please let me know as I want to do my upmost to give the car every chance of surviving for a few more years

A few pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Tall_Steve's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E64 630i M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible
    Thanks
    Hi & Welcome ....Nice

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    ben m's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Very nice! I have never been a fan of estates but I do like the tourers, especially the sport ones!

With regards to your questions, you can fit the vortex breather and it is recommended to do so to preserve the life of the turbo. Also the EGR - I just blanked mine! Disconnected the vac hose, stuffed a bolt in it and cable tied to to make sure it was completely air tight. Don't know if that was the recommended way but mine seems fine , although only did it on Sunday so we will see. Done 100 or so miles since with no problems since. I also cleaned the EGR while I was at it. Oh and if you haven't come across them yet, swirl flags (!!), get these removed ASAP! I removed the swirl flaps, cleaned the EGR and intake manifold, and disabled the EGR all at once, you might as well as they are all pretty similar and close together. Takes about an hour to an hour and a half to get it all off, and an hour or just under to get it back together, and I am not a mechanic. Although cleaning the manifold and EGR meant the whole job took a lot longer. I have not noticed and increase or decrease in performance/running.

There are guides on here by L16YD L which are excellent and will help you with all of them!

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    rockhopper's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ben m View Post
    Very nice! I have never been a fan of estates but I do like the tourers, especially the sport ones!

With regards to your questions, you can fit the vortex breather and it is recommended to do so to preserve the life of the turbo. Also the EGR - I just blanked mine! Disconnected the vac hose, stuffed a bolt in it and cable tied to to make sure it was completely air tight. Don't know if that was the recommended way but mine seems fine , although only did it on Sunday so we will see. Done 100 or so miles since with no problems since. I also cleaned the EGR while I was at it. Oh and if you haven't come across them yet, swirl flags (!!), get these removed ASAP! I removed the swirl flaps, cleaned the EGR and intake manifold, and disabled the EGR all at once, you might as well as they are all pretty similar and close together. Takes about an hour to an hour and a half to get it all off, and an hour or just under to get it back together, and I am not a mechanic. Although cleaning the manifold and EGR meant the whole job took a lot longer. I have not noticed and increase or decrease in performance/running.

There are guides on here by L16YD L which are excellent and will help you with all of them!
    Thanks Ben, would have liked to have gone for a salloon but lifestyle dictates an estate unfortunately but I do quite like the look as well

I have read about just blanking off the EGR but wanted get the definitive answer as to what is the best solution before starting, blanking off, bypass etc, how easy is it to clean the vac hose and do you need any fluids.

I think I'm lucky with the swirl flaps as I'm led to believe my 2002 330d manual hasn't got them only the auto but would appreciate it if someone can clarify this, also does the vortex oil breather fit my particular car or is it only certain years, as I mentioned above is it ok to change just the filter or the whole unit ?

Cheers Andy

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    ben m's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Sorry Andy, I only skim read and thought it was a 320d.

I am sure someone else will come along and let you know best solutions, but IMO the EGR is a pipe with a valve and actuator which allows exhaust gasses through. When you blank it the valve stays permanently closed so I do not see the need in buying a replacement and blanking it off should be fine. But I am by no means mechanic and there will be many people on here who know a great deal more than and may offer different opinions I would be very interested in those opinions as well as mine is just blanked!

I think you could be right with the swirl flaps as well, I think I read that somewhere in my research but can't remember for sure. Again someone can advise you for sure either way. And with regards to the breather, again now I realised yours in the 330 not 320 I can't really answer that, below is the link to L16YD L's guide to the change, you can see its really simple and that thread should get you the answers regarding the change on yours

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...d-320d-t15944/
    Last edited by ben m; 06-06-2012 at 14:06.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    rockhopper's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Many thanks again Ben I have contacted L16YD L and hope he can offer some help with a couple of questions.

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    The Rookie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320D Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Estate

Thanks
    The EGR system (Exhaust gas recirculation) routes exhast gasses back into the intake to reduce the amount of NOx (Nitrogen Oxides - a polutant) the car emits.

If you take the engine cover off you'll see at the front of the engine what looks vaguely like a throttle body (no throttle though), the air from the intercooler goes through into the manifold, it also contains the control valve for the EGR, you can simply rmove the vacuum pipe (right hand side) and block with the right size bolt and this will disable EGR, it may well set a fault on your EMS as well though.
    2003 320D MSport Touring in Imola red

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    330ise's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330i SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks