Gears hard to select when car is staionanary, unless the clutch is held down for about 5 seconds.

Notices
 

Thread: Gears hard to select when car is staionanary, unless the clutch is held down for about 5 seconds.

Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. Gears hard to select when car is staionanary, unless the clutch is held down for about 5 seconds. 
    #1
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    slimzee's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    bmw 330d M sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    2002
    Transmission Type:
    maual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    kent
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hi, Ive got bmw 330d M sport 52 plate, and the gears are hard to shift when the car is stationary, but if I hold the clutch down for about 4/5 seconds, they shift lovely, until I lift my foot off the clutch, then I have to hold it down for 4/5 seconds again, this only haperns when the car is stationary by the way. The gears shift perfect when the car is moving, apart from the shift from 1st to 2nd when the car is cold, which gets better when warmed up. The gears shift fine when the car is tunrned off, the problem is just when the car is turned on and stationary. Also if I hold the clutch down for about 4/5 seconds when the car is turned off, and then turn it on it goes in gear perfect striaght away.

    Im getting the clutch bleed soon to see if that helps. Someone told me that the syncros might be worn, but surley they cant all be worn, and if they were then why would the gears shift perfectly while driving?.

    Can anyone help please?.

    Thanks.
     
     

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  3.  
    #2
    BMW Guru
    Car Details
    E36Coupe328's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328 + 325
    Year of Manufacture:
    1995 + 1994
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    E36Coupe328's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,978
    Thanks
    225
    Thanked 1,091 Times in 958 Posts
    Even in neutral the input shaft is spinning when your foot is off the clutch. It's not uncommon to have to wait a couple of seconds after pushing the clutch to get a smooth shift into gear, especially when the oil is cold or thick. Not ideal but more a mole hill than a mountain


    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

    Free Gas Kit* now fitted to free 328*

    *Based on ROI period exceeded
     
     

  4.  
    #3
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    slimzee's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    bmw 330d M sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    2002
    Transmission Type:
    maual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    kent
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by E36Coupe328 View Post
    Even in neutral the input shaft is spinning when your foot is off the clutch. It's not uncommon to have to wait a couple of seconds after pushing the clutch to get a smooth shift into gear, especially when the oil is cold or thick. Not ideal but more a mole hill than a mountain

    Ive been driving manual cars for about 12 years, and this is definatly not making a mountain out of a mole hill. I get stuck at traffic lights trying to get it in gear. I think you are just getting this confused with the normal thing that happerns with manuals which can be corrected by just letting your foot off the clutch and pushing it down again, but this is not the case.
     
     

  5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  6.  
    #4
    BMW Guru
    Car Details
    E36Coupe328's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328 + 325
    Year of Manufacture:
    1995 + 1994
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    E36Coupe328's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,978
    Thanks
    225
    Thanked 1,091 Times in 958 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slimzee View Post
    Ive been driving manual cars for about 12 years
    I've been driving Manual RWD cars on the road for 23 years and more before.

    Not getting confused.

    I quite often have to double clutch to get the first or reverse in the morning and my synchro is worn from 1st to 2nd too, and does get better when warmed up. It was also improved by an oil change.

    Truth is there is enough viscosity in gearbox fluids for you to put a manual box on the floor, in neutral and turn the input shaft and have the output shaft turn. Multiply this dragging by the 600 to 1000 RPM most cars idle and and you can see that the input shaft and cluster can be spinning quite quickly, a large difference to the output shaft that in most in gear changes either drop RPM by about 30% on the upshift or raise it by 60% on the down shift instead of a 100%

    However, barring thick oil you only have clutch dragging and worn synchromesh aspossible options, provided nothing silly like clutch slave needs a bleed / fluid change or incorrectly adjusted pedal stop, worn pedal bushes or matt stopping the pedal going all the way down.


    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

    Free Gas Kit* now fitted to free 328*

    *Based on ROI period exceeded
     
     

  7.  
    #5
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    slimzee's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    bmw 330d M sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    2002
    Transmission Type:
    maual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    kent
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by E36Coupe328 View Post
    I've been driving Manual RWD cars on the road for 23 years and more before.

    Not getting confused.

    I quite often have to double clutch to get the first or reverse in the morning and my synchro is worn from 1st to 2nd too, and does get better when warmed up. It was also improved by an oil change.

    Truth is there is enough viscosity in gearbox fluids for you to put a manual box on the floor, in neutral and turn the input shaft and have the output shaft turn. Multiply this dragging by the 600 to 1000 RPM most cars idle and and you can see that the input shaft and cluster can be spinning quite quickly, a large difference to the output shaft that in most in gear changes either drop RPM by about 30% on the upshift or raise it by 60% on the down shift instead of a 100%

    However, barring thick oil you only have clutch dragging and worn synchromesh aspossible options, provided nothing silly like clutch slave needs a bleed / fluid change or incorrectly adjusted pedal stop, worn pedal bushes or matt stopping the pedal going all the way down.


    Yeah im sure what your saying is right, but ive had quite a few old cars before which there gearbox and clutch was on its last legs, but none of them had the problem that im having now. Its not just 1st and second gear that i have trouble shifting, its all the gears, but only when the car is stationary, unless I hold the clutch down for a while. I personaly think the clutch needs bleeding, so im gonna get that done first, But do you really think a gearbox oil change will correct the problem?, Ive read on other forums that this helps, but surely if it was the gearbox oil that was the problem then why would it shift perfectly when the car is off, and when the clutch has been held down for a while?.
     
     

  8.  
    #6
    BMW Guru
    Car Details
    E36Coupe328's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328 + 325
    Year of Manufacture:
    1995 + 1994
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    E36Coupe328's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,978
    Thanks
    225
    Thanked 1,091 Times in 958 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slimzee View Post
    why would it shift perfectly when the car is off, and when the clutch has been held down for a while?.
    You just confirmed what I said above


    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

    Free Gas Kit* now fitted to free 328*

    *Based on ROI period exceeded
     
     

Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Posting Permissions
  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts