First Time BMW driver... problem already!

Thread: First Time BMW driver... problem already!

Reply to Thread
  1. First Time BMW driver... problem already! 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    XYB1993's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Car Body Type:

Warminster, UK
    Hello everyone!

My name is Ed, I am 20 years old, live in Wiltshire and work as a Fleet Manager for one of the large rental car firms. I have bought my first ever BMW!! After owning a Seat Leon as my first car and having a boring VW Passat as a company car, I thought it was time to get myself something a little fancier. At first I thought I would stay clear of the German car cliche (BMW, Merc or Audi) so I ended up purchasing myself a top of the range 05 Vauxhall Signum 3.0V6 CDTi. What a mistake that was, I could rant on about it for ages but I won't, I will just say it was terrible and after it spent more time back at the garage than on my drive, the dealership agreed to give me a full refund.

Now I thought I would get something cheaper this time and I knew I wanted either an Audi A6 or Mercedes E-Class. I test drove and viewed 14 cars in the end all around the same price bracket (£1-£2k) but they were all heaps of rubbish. Finally I stumbled upon a lovely 1998 BMW 528i just by chance. It has had one owner all of it's life and is an absolute credit to the previous owner. It has genuinely been cherished inside and out and I am very pleased with it. I paid £900 for a car that looks and drives like a £20k car.

However, this leads me on to my first problem with it and the reason behind signing up to the forum. I bought the car without a warranty due to the low price etc but it just won't hold it's coolant! The head gasket is definitely ok, it just decides to drop most of it's coolant for 10 minutes when I switch it off. I am not very mechanically minded so I have not investigated properly and I cannot discover where it could be leaking from. I am going to have to take it to a garage anyway but was wondering if anyone had ever had the same problem and whether it's going to cost me an arm and a leg?

Appreciate your help and advice in advanced, here is a photo of "Betty"

2. Remove Advertisements

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    ragtop steve's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E60 530D & F07 535D GT
    Year of Manufacture:
    2006 & 2012
    Transmission Type:
    manual & Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon & Hatchback
    The Joy's of e39 ownership...

Welcome to the forum

with out getting it pressure tested i would not be 100% sure but, Its Time to replace the water pump, also do the thermostate as well.

have you checked the top and bottom hoses as they could be britol/worn and could leak as well.

BMW its an addiction, Its a drug