First BMW! Love it, but has minor problems.

Notices

Thread: First BMW! Love it, but has minor problems.

Reply to Thread
  1. First BMW! Love it, but has minor problems. 
    BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    BenjaminRoy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Hello people!

After 5 years of tooling around in a Rover 400 I'v finally racked up enough insurance no claims to get a proper car, so after 3 months of looking I finally found my perfect car, a 1996 e36 328i touring. It had 10 months MOT full BMW service history and no parking dents/scratches and no major rust. I chuffed to bits with it. I dropped the oil and replaced it with some fully synthetic, next up I'm going to do the diff/gearboax and coolent (any suggestion on the best oil/coolent to use would be appreciated)

It does have its minor flaws however...

Firstly the seat doesn't adjust forwards/backwards, fortunately the previous owner was the same height as me, but has anyone experienced this before? or know how to cure it?

Secondly one of the doors doesn't lock on the central locking, just an actuator?

Thirdly the passenger window doesn't work, when i press "up" the motor does make a noise, but it won't go down, is this likely to be the switch, relay or motor?

Finally there is and idle problem, 50% of the time its fine, but occasionally it will hunt between 500 - 1000 rpm, i noticed that the hose going to the ICV was split so I'v ordered a replacement, if its not this I'v read that it could be the ICV, is it repairable or shall I just order a new one?

Sorry for the long post :-)

Regards,

Ben.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    rich77's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i e36
    Year of Manufacture:
    1999 t reg
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    hello mate good choice mate welcome to the world of 328`s :-)
    central locking will most likely be the actuator , your idling problem is probably the hose sure that will cure the problem if not just clean the ICV with some carb cleaner easy job as for the seat not had that problem but having just changed my seats did notice there is a lot of cables under there just check none have come loose or snapped or come out the lever itself maybe take the seat out for a better look its only four 16mm bolts easy job mate , hope this helps a little mate and welcome

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Joe9087's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320ci M-Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,701 Times in 2,156 Posts
    Welcome to the site
    Post your issues in the technical section following the forum rules (see link below) and you will get more help and assistance than in here as more people view the technical section.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    xXxStKxXx's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    man
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Thanked 6,073 Times in 4,855 Posts
    Hi BenjaminRoy,Welcome to Bimmerforums.co.uk..............

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Thanks for the welcomes! there were some small patches of rush on the underside, so I wire brushed then, sprayed with a zinc primer then undersealed the whole underside of the car. Then I removed and cleaned the ICV but no amount of lube or swearing can get it back on!

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    flexiva's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316SE Compact
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    compact

Thanks
    Hi BenjaminRoy

Had the same window issue with my E46, opened up the side panel and found that the previous owner used a piece off wood to hold up window. Needed a new regulator which I bought and was able to fit myself with little technical experience

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Thanks flexiva! I'll sort that soon, probably after the seat! I fitted my replacement and known-to-be-working ICV, silicon spray works wonders for fitting tight rubber things! but the intake boot and rubber pipe that connects it to the ICV are knackered, and the plastic connector was none existent so perhaps it wasn't the ICV after all? currently duck tape is holding it together, new parts should be arriving on tomorrow or saturday so I guess I'll know for sure then!

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    I replaced the ICV, intake boot (which was split) and the hose the connects the intake boot to the ICV, which I was hoping that this would solve the fluctuating idle...however, it hasn't. Has anyone else suffered from this? I did notice that when I remove the oil filler cap when the engine is running it causes idle problems also, so is it something to do with the crankcase ventilation?

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    MINTER 728's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    728 E38
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    AUTOMATIC
    Car Body Type:
    SALOON

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BenjaminRoy View Post
    Hello people!

After 5 years of tooling around in a Rover 400 I'v finally racked up enough insurance no claims to get a proper car, so after 3 months of looking I finally found my perfect car, a 1996 e36 328i touring. It had 10 months MOT full BMW service history and no parking dents/scratches and no major rust. I chuffed to bits with it. I dropped the oil and replaced it with some fully synthetic, next up I'm going to do the diff/gearboax and coolent (any suggestion on the best oil/coolent to use would be appreciated)

It does have its minor flaws however...

Firstly the seat doesn't adjust forwards/backwards, fortunately the previous owner was the same height as me, but has anyone experienced this before? or know how to cure it?

Secondly one of the doors doesn't lock on the central locking, just an actuator?

Thirdly the passenger window doesn't work, when i press "up" the motor does make a noise, but it won't go down, is this likely to be the switch, relay or motor?

Finally there is and idle problem, 50% of the time its fine, but occasionally it will hunt between 500 - 1000 rpm, i noticed that the hose going to the ICV was split so I'v ordered a replacement, if its not this I'v read that it could be the ICV, is it repairable or shall I just order a new one?

Sorry for the long post :-)

Regards,

Ben.
    Hello , Welcome , Yours Minter