BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

First Bmw, Have a look

Tags
22K views 361 replies 12 participants last post by  Trower 
#1 ·
Hi people I just got my first BMW it's a 320ci E46 2001 (51) she has 57k on and in black and before that I had a 106 gti there fun but it's such a big difference I wish I got a bmw ages ago coming from a little rattle box to a smooth hard pulling car has also made me appreciate these bmw's so much more, basically if anyone could give me any tips and tricks that would be brilliant, I have added a few pictures below so check it out and see what you think

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Yer I do want to keep it standard pretty much but do a few little things to make it more my own touch rather than just any old bmw, led bulbs would be good I also am thinking about keeping the wheels but getting them black not really shore yet though, first thing on my list is a service just for a piece of mind I constantly feel like something might go wrong because my luck with cars is just terrible but I heard as long as they are looked after there bomb proof

#11 ·
I have thought about doing this myself, Opening a garage and just doing bmw oil changes, Think the main stealer chargers £130odd just for an oil change the expensive bit is the oil because the oil for my car comes in 4L bottles and they use 6.7L so just got 2 4L bottles so next time i do it i will only need one bottle since i already have half the next bottle :D I paid £80 roughly next time should only cost me £50odd. The annoying bit was the oil sump being on the side and i misjudged how far it would shoot out and got abit of oil on the floor other than that its easy and quick :)

Ccfls are also easy to fit and cheap to buy so good all round :) from voice of experience its better to pay abit more and not get £10-£15 china kit cuz they aint there good.

#15 ·
Yer they are so expensive and I'm probably going to do that as well just buy 2 4L of oil and put the rest aside for next time as I did hear that these burn all oil pretty quick not shore how true that is but always handy to have a bit of oil anyway also I will get them lights as soon as i have done the service just need to get money together as I spent it all on the car :)

#13 ·
Excellent car there with great mileage and its not the 318 like i made the mistake with on my 1st bmw its a proper sounding 6 cylinder only negative its doesnt have the sports kit

Things i would do
Front indicators smoked or clear £30
Side indicators smoked £15
Rear aftermarket clear or smoked l.e.d taillights £110
Black bonnet grille (if your going stealth look) £30
Ccfl lights for front £30

If you search hard you will find the better door cards which are half cream and half black leather in the middle very nice they are otherwise id leave the interior as it is love the cream leather

I have these up for sale at the moment if your intrested i have some smoked side indicators i can give you for free included

Bmw 3 Series E46 Indicator Coupe / Convertible Screw Type 2001-2003 | eBay

Bmw 3 Series E46 Bonnet Grille Black Coupe / Convertible 99-03 | eBay

#16 ·
What you just explained is basically what I want to do, really want them black grilles but unfortunately I haven't got a penny at the moment and I'm shore someone else will snatch them up before me :( loving your convertible though it's really smart also could you help me out with a bit of advice? The engine light has come on not the eml but the check engine one I think it's called, but basically the car runs perfectly fine still has power there, there's a slight flat spot at around 3 to 4 thousand revs, I don't thrash it and also let it warm up properly and the light came on two days ago on the way to work at about 8 in the morning then I went home left the car alone till about 4 then the light was gone then the exact same thing happened today came on in the morning then went after the second or third drive I heard that the computer finds a fault and if it's stays faulty for two drives then it warns you and then if it's fine for two drives it turns back off not shore if that's exactly right but if you could help my out that would be most appreciated, I'm also going to get it put on the computer at a garage to pick it up but what does it sound like it could be

#17 ·
It could be lots of things best not guessing and worrying untill diagnostic at garage its most likely a sensor...lol

Yeah i think the black parts will look better on a darker colour car they stood out to much against the silver after a while but looks really good on grey,blue,black

If you look on ebay ive seen those rears go for cheap and there only £110 new whereas the convertible are £199 just because the top indicator part is curved not flat like the coupe rear taillights

I could do you the front indicators and side smoked indicators for £20 inc postage if tha helps you

#18 ·
Yer I hope it is just a sensor I'm not to worried because it is running fine, also I will let you know on the indicators I know it's only 20 quid but I promised myself before I buy anything I need to save money for the oil etc for a service obviously if someone wants them sell them but if you still have them when I'm looking to buy stuff for my car il give you a shout

#20 ·
To be honest i wasn't really shore what oil to use mate I was going to do a bit of research but it's hard because everyone has different opinions and then start going on about climate temperature and stuff I know it's all true but I just want to get down to the point off what oil shall I use, also if I should get actual bmw oil

#21 ·
Hi, just had a look through the missed bits :D them indicators are the same as mine they look pretty smart although i personally prefer them with chrome bulbs thats one thing im on the hunt for get rid of the fried egg look lol. If you car was silver id say iv got a boot lip spoiler if your interested, tbh it just needs a scrub down and maybe a fresh coat of paint on it if your fussy like me but im not really keen on them so not worth it for me. Iv just got it in the shed let me know if your interested and will post pictures up for you. Iv been busy today claying my car while the sun was out :D heres the finished pictures.

Also didnt think about asda when buying car oil will consider that and tescos, :thumbs: not sure what oil your car needs but this is what i got for mine.

Halfords | Castrol Magnatec 5W30 Vauxhall Oil 4 Litre

#22 ·
I think its down to preference mate, Personally i prefer to spend abit extra if its decent. To me the Engine is the cars heart so for my cars the better brands ie Castrol, Helix and Mobil1 are what i tend to stick with. Where other people use cheap because well its cheap :rofl I think BMW use/recommend Castrol oil because thats whats on the oil filler caps altho i do expect to be corrected there.

#23 ·
Haha now you say it they do actually look like fried eggs, that's going to play on my mind now and I will be getting them indicators at some point also is your front bumper the m sport facelift one because I would be looking for a black one soon and need to know what to look for, your car is nice I was thinking of getting a convertible but the budget I had could probably only leave me with one that leaks so I thought id leave it till next summer or something depending on what I do with this car and I think i will get castrol it's not like either of the top brands are going to do damage even the crap brands I suppose it's just about life span for the engine

#24 ·
To be honest mate iv got no idea, it came with the car im better with the E36 models than i am with the E46 models, If your serious about getting a convertable now (winter) is the best time to buy them people usually want the hard tops in the winter. To buy a hardtop for the convertable your better off looking in the summer when everyone wants the soft tops and roof down. You get some crazy people like me who have the roof down most of them time unless its raining i just like the free feeling of not being closed in :D chrome bulbs for indicators are about £5 posted brand new.

#25 ·
Fair enough, I think I'm going to keep this car for a while yet mate would love a convertible for the summer I normally change cars every 6 to 8 months but I really do like this car I'm sorting the service out on Tuesday so hopefully after that I can actually start buying stuff for it and get some more pictures up :) there's so much stuff I want though I don't know where to start I wish I just had a lump of cash now to order loads of stuff then fit it all in the same day there would be such a difference but I always end up getting bits of money here and there so I have to do it over a period of time

#27 ·
I want a black lip spoiler, angel eye lights, new rear lights not shore what there called though, maybe 15mm spacers on the back and 10mm on the front not shore yet though, either new rims or get mine sprayed black, black front grill, maybe a front splitter, smoked indicators, m sport facelift front bumper and wouldn't mind a m3 rear bumper with an m3 exhaust, there's other stuff as well but that's all I can think off, problem is though I'm skint

#28 ·
Iv got a lip spoiler mate if your interested just a quick spray of black and shes a good un :) Im thinking about smoked indicators aswell as not a fan of the ones on my car atm. With the grills have you thought about carbon fiber wrapping them? I carbon wrapped loads in my old E36. I also (since you got a black bm you might like this idea) ripped my roof lining out and recovered it in black velvet material cost me about £100 in total and about an hour/2hours work.

#30 ·
Yer I might Carbon wrap them actually I would like bmw bonnet carbon wrapped as well but I'm not 100% because the bonnet comes down and around the grill and it does look a bit funny but my car being black it might stand out as much, also il probably get one of ebay already black think there about 20-30 quid new

#32 ·
I think m3's are nice it's not like it's some ridiculous body kit I would just like the same bumpers they are basically the same to be honest just more sporty looking but everyone has different opinions

#35 ·
i should have left the boot smooth on my convertible IMO if your getting one get the more expensive thicker lipped one its about £150 the cheap one is ok i paid about £25 and it came painted and taped up ready so quick and easy to install i only put one on because my coupe i had before had one on when i bought it but i think on convertibles it spoils the rear and they gather dirt along the edges which are hard to get at to clean probably more noticeable because its on a silver car i think they look good on saloons and coupes my mates estoril blue individual came with the thicker lipped spoiler and another freind has a coupe 320d facelift which seems to have the same thicker spoiler so if u can get that one not the cheap £25 one heres how the look with and without

Attachments

#37 ·
I think il get the cheap one for now and see how it goes il probably upgrade in time though i would just rather have that sharper look for not even 30 quid, there's the one that sort of rolls over the top of the boot lid and down the back of it if you know what I mean rather than it just sitting on top of the boot lid they do look ok not really shore though, also that's so strange how they ruin the back of a convertible but look good on a coupe

#41 ·
Yeah do u think they come off ok? I thought it would be on untill it fell off and i was worried about the mess its caused to the original paint did yours look perfect after

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.