BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

E36 328i - first BMW

3K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  R32rookie 
#1 ·
Hello peoples :)

Names Alex and I picked up this E36 328i in December but have been a bit lazy at finding a forum to join so here I am finally!

Car was bought for just over £2k with FSH from BMW. It's not a sport or mtech model but has been treated to a fair few bits by previous owners....

I'm local to Guildford/London so will no doubt bump into some other members at some point....

Here's the car and afew changes....Currently the wheels are going black and coilovers/exhaust are on their way! The ACS wheels are not genuine and were corroded, hence the refurb....

Cheers
Alex

See less See more
#4 ·
Cheers guys.....

The ride height is a bit pony at the moment and I have some coilovers awaiting payment but i'm unsure of my decision....

It's my only car so used everyday for 25 miles so I'm after a lower stance and better handling but I don't want a poor/harsh ride.....

Options being lowering springs, but I have heard if you go lower than 40mm you can blow the shocks due to increased constant load.

Budget coilovers, but then there's the question of ride quality and whether they will last on bumpy B and A roads.

Expensive coilovers, but then spending £600+ seems a bit of a waste as the car will only see 1 or 2 track days a year.....Best compromise would be??????

#8 ·
weloe ate nie ar y keyboards playing up still sorry

#16 ·
Welcome to the forum:thumbsup

ANYTHING LOWER THAN 40mm REQUIRES THE USE OF SHORTENED DAMPERS!!!

I use H&R coilovers and am very happy with their performance although probably overkill for just road use;)

Cracking mods so far, car looks very nice indeed:cool

#17 ·
Cheers mate :thumbsup

I'm worried the M3 replica wheels are fooked....Got them off E36coupe forum from a member who said they are all ok.

When on the front they cause wheel wobble at 35mph, and then when on the rear they make the car pull to the right, then correct itself, then to the left etc etc constantly :frown

Not sure what the issue is there...

#18 ·
I am absolutely fuming!!!!!!!:mad:mad:mad The M3 replica pair are both completely buckled :eek:mad

I have replaced one buckled wheel with a pair and the seller claims to not have known.....

I call bullsh1t as the vibration was so bad on the balancing machine that he couldn't keep it going as it was moving the machine so much!

One thing after another with this sh1tty car!!! First the power steering pulley breaks up on me, then my intake elbow rubber splits in 3 places, then my rear shocks go and now I have 2 useless buckled wheels and I doubt I will see my money again :frown

Its bad luck runs like this that end car ownership....if anything else comes up on the MOT in 2 weeks I fear I will be T&Ting it and then selling it :frown

All the above within a month! To ice that cake my Iphone broke the other day and they want £160 for a repair!

Rant over....:sarcastic

#19 ·
ive had mine for over a year only problem ive had was a flat tyre sounds like your just one of the unlucky ones :thumbsup

#20 ·
Just to point out one great piece of luck you ran into with this car;

You have a Dave-F induction kit in there, and those are extremely hard to get a hold of! :hyper

As for the wheels, forget about it. Sometimes you'll get dodgy sellers out there, and sometimes they genuinely are quite clueless about these kinds of things.

Whether this bloke was dodge or genuinely clueless I don't know. What I do know is you should persevere; your bad luck WILL end! :)

#21 ·
I think differently on car ownership...you either have bad luck with a car for your entire ownership or no real problems at all. This seems to be a downward spiral especially as I'm not stuck for options due to £100 being pi55ed away to this guy....

Its a K&N gen 2 kit which I bought for it, I don't think they are that rare but its the one thing I do love about the car....screams at 5k :hihi

#25 ·
did you not see it when you were spraying them :confused

#26 ·
Nope as I had them face up on a bench....

He is claiming that its courier dmaage and it was never like that when he sent it! I fail to see how a courier can warp a wheel all the way through :shifty:

Found one of the pics from the for sale ad.....

Note the lack of wheel weights wheras the other wheels in the thread have them......then look at the top part of the wheel on the inner rim and you can see the buckle/flat spot...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.