I am Benoni, a 21 year old student from the south on the netherlands. I study International Business Economics at the University of Maastricht. I have been reading threads on this forum for a couple of weeks now and i think its time to introduce myself.
My dad drove a e39 525 TDS 1998 for a while and i just loved that car. it had run over 425.000 KM (264.000 miles) and was still running like new. Due to the fact my dad didnt drive as much as before and the taxes paid on cars in the netherlands is high we had to sell the car. We paid 126 euro's per month taxes (an E39 on gasoline is just € 70), thats without insurance.
In the netherlands we pay taxes per pound, the heavier the car the more taxes we pay, and if youre car is a diesel you pay almost double because the pollute the environment more. So basiclly we all have to drive in small gasoline cars here... And yeah, that sucks. So the e39 525 tds had to go, and because of the high mileage we sold it of course for a lower price.
You can imagine how pissed i was when i saw my dads car a couple of weeks later on the internet with a mileage of 215.000 KM and a double price for which we had sold it. But in holland we cant do anything about it...
In february i am going to study in Lisbon for 6 months, its part of my bacherlor degree and i want to go by car, because i want to do a lot of travelling there. Because of my budget (student ), i though a Golf 3 TDI would be a good choice
And then one day i found a e39 530d 184 hp which had several problems and i just couldnt let that oppertunity go by. Of course the price was very very very good. I am quite good with cars so i said i could fix it all by myself and i succeeded this far.
Here a list of my problems which i solved
- Oil Leak, FIXED (a small pipe on the rights side on the engine which goes from the engine to turbo was not fitted right)
- ABS light, FIXED (bought me carsoft 6.5 and it said left side sensor, cleaned it and error disappeared
- ASC light, FIXED (gone away with the ABS light)
- Brake Light, FIXED (the sensor for the brake pads was broken, so i just made a direct link between the two wires)
- Leak in the Exhaust FIXED ( Both flexi pipes were gone, bought two of ebay for 80 euro's and my dad installed them)
- Large water Leak driver side (left hand drive, so for you guys Passenger side), FIXED, full with leaves and other dirt and there was some kind of hole there so i just sealed it
- Right motor support is gone, Almost FIXED, just ordered the part of ebay and waiting to get it delivered
The car has had some damage and is now a the paint shop to fix that, the left side needs a repainting because it hit the guardrail, but its a small damage, new front bumper, new front wing and some damage at rear stoplights. I checked most airbags, especially on the left side and they are still good, so they didnt deploy at the accident
Have a couple of things left to do
- Airbag (SRS) light, Carsoft can't connect to the module, it says "module not responding". I took the mid consol out to reach the module to see if everything is oke, and it looked fine, no broken wires or something, i checked side airbags, the airbags next to the windshield, and there fine, i didnt check the front airbags, but there is not sign of them being deployed. This one is a mistery to me...
- I drove a couple hundred miles with the car but it had a full gas tank. yesterday, just a few miles after the yellow light turned on (1/8 tank) my car stalled on the highway and i became very hard to start, had to crank it long several times and it started again. Drove to the nearest pump to put 20 liters in, then again hard to start, but after i drove 20 miles and turned it off it started without no problem. I think some problems with one of the 2 pumps getting the diesel to the engine..
-Change the rubber at the front left wheel, its the rubber from the steering system connector.
- Find the calbe for the left front fog lamp, cant find it, have to see if its cut somehere, found a brown wire which is the minus, but dont know which color the other one is (plus wire), i red somewhere yellow/red.
- The airco belt tensioner is broken and the tensioning lever is worn so i think i have to buy new supporting bracket for the airco pump.
After that is fixed i need to pimp the car up a little bit so i want to buy
- Nice rims
- Clear tail lights
- Already bought Smoke front lights and need to buy CCFL rings
I think i will post some pics how the car looked before the accident and after as soon as i got it back =D
And thats about it about me