BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

bwm 530 d sport...help.

1K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Mr 530 
#1 ·
hellow people. im new to the forums and this is my first ever post, it is also the first time i have ever owned a bmw. so i appologise if i have posted it in the wrong place.
i purchased a 530 d sport about 2 months ago, 105000 miles, full bmw service history.
As ive never had a bmw before i dont know what kind of power it is supposed to have, or how they drive. it seems to have a lot of power though. more than my previous car anyway, which was a nissan micra.
the other day, i started the car, and as it was idling, the engine kind of "jerked" or "stuttered" for a second, i waited for a few min and it seemed ok. then i moved the car about 100 metres and i smelt a kind of burning smell, and it stuttered again. so i immediately stopped the car and parked it outside my house.
i lifted the bonnet and saw some white smoke coming from under the bonnet on the drivers side (right side of engine looking from front)
i almost pooped in my pants with worry. i called a mechanic over and he had a look and told me that there is air blowing out near the turbo/manfiolf, and it could be a split pipe or a loose bolt, but without checking it properly he coldnt be certain. there is no fault light showing, nor is there any fault code.
was wondering if anyone had a similar experience or have any idea what it could be?
thanks in advance.
:confused

See less See more
#4 ·
thanks for quick reply. when u say costly, how much am i looking at, worse case?
ive been told about something called swirl flaps that causes problems.??
i hope it is, as u speculate, a split boost pipe.
i put my hand in the area where the smoke was, and i could feel air blowing out.
also the burning smell was coming through the air vents.

#6 ·
boosting on the turbo as that could and i stress could be a problem on it so see if it comes on strong around 2-3k and no loss in power

yes they are renowned also to injest swirl flaps also and thats why many people blank them off.

if you copy the link to another forum right next to my signature pic and sign up as a member theres a lot of guys on there with these cars who could help you more than me as theres an awfull lot of mechanics on there.

Andy

#8 ·
Spirit is on the money, split manifold are a common issue on early E60 diesels, BMW made them from stainless plate not cast iron and they cracked. I would worry too much about dropped swirl flaps on you engine, the risk is much much lower. The seal on top of the turbo outlet also fails, I changed mine the other day, it only costs £11, there is always loads of oil in a BMW diesel induction systems, it is completely normal but if that big seal goes it sprays on the exhaust manifold and burns.

Does it smell of burn oil or burning diesel?

If oil need to check the engine breather to turbo snorkel hose is fitted properly, it is just push fit and can come off, again spraying oil on the exhaust manifold which burns

If diesel check one of the leak back pipes on top of the injectors hasn't worked loose or broken, it drips diesels out which spills on to the exhaust manifold

#9 ·
thanks for all replies.
i started the car this morning. i havnt seen smoke (yet). took it for a drive, it didnt shudder. although the burning smell is still there, through the vents. i got it put on a ramp, and a mechanic told me the exhaust is blowing from 2 places near the manifold, from a flexi mesh area on the exhaust. and that there is a small oil leak from somewhere. i put my hand near the exhaust and could feel the air when the engine was revved. do u think its worth going to the bmw dealership to get it properly diagnosed? ive heard it could be very costly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.