BMW 520d. 58 reg. particle filter removal or not?

Notices

Thread: BMW 520d. 58 reg. particle filter removal or not?

Reply to Thread
  1. BMW 520d. 58 reg. particle filter removal or not? 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    garethswindon's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    520d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Please help.
    My particle filter has came on my I drive. Should I get it removed and get my car remapped?
    A company in glos said £440. Extreme remapping. Has anyone used them?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    CRAZY CHARLY's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    520d se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    touring

Thanks
    I was in halfords the other day and saw some fuel additve for particle filters maybe worth a try. Its usauly short trips that foul up these filters with a combination of dirty injectors so try injector cleaner also. Concider CHIP EXPRESS its a plugin/remove if yours is an F10 Efficient Dynamics 181bhp/360Nm torque expect: 223bhp/454Nm torque mild tune or 245BHP/522Nm Torque max with upto 20% more economy & 5mph gain top end £395 found them on the net and its a quick and easy fit, there feedback looks good. K&N air filter element about £40 AMAZON/eBAY should be concidered as good air flow improves throttle responce and will last the life of the car as you clean it and put it back in, Be aware that early 07-09 engines may suffer cam chains bracking around 100k and there exspensive to change terminal if you don't. Let me know how you get on as I've just bought my E61 520D good luck.

check your manual:- The diesel particle filter collects soot particles and burns them periodically at high tempuratures. This cleaning procedure takes several minuets. Under some circumstaces, you may notice it by the fact that the engine temporarily runs more roughly and requires a higher engine speed for normal power development etc. in other words give the car a long run to get exhaust nice and hot (the diesel treatment may help here) might do the trick.
    Last edited by CRAZY CHARLY; 01-02-2013 at 15:13. Reason: Just read manual

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    dead_valentine's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Hi there. I removed my DPF and catalytic converter on my 320d. It gave me more low down power, more miles to the gallon and a much better sound from the engine. I recently had a mot on the car and average emissions for this engine were 0.50, when they checked mine it was 0.56 and your allowed up to 3.00. I also disconnected my egr valve, not sure about your particular model but if you remapped it, removed the dpf and catalytic converter you would see a further improvement if you remapped it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Master
    Car Details
    SimonSingh's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    What's the mileage of your car? Lifespan of the DPF filter is around 100k; I've seen then go as early as 60k, and seen some very lucky chaps with the same DPF on 140k!

First thing to do is to regenerate the DPF - Jump onto the motorway, make sure you've got over half a tank diesel, pop it into 4th, and leave it at 60MPH on cruise control. You won't be able to interrupt the process, so do it at a time where you know you'll be facing no traffic. It has to be a minimum of 35minutes, so looking over an hour return trip. If you smell something sweet from the fans, you'll know the job is being done.

8 out of 10 times, that'll put the problem off for a good amount of mileage. The regeneration is a process that cleans & burns out the excess soot away.

DO NOT use any fluids of cleaning products as they don't work, and just foul up the system instead.

Removing the DPF is becoming more and more commonplace now. It isn't the law, so it can be removed. If you do decide to take it out, you'll notice more soot coming out the exhaust, and you'll have slightly more power a the car can breathe more easily. The ECU will have to be re-coded to remove the DPF scope, and you can get a map if you wish, but it's not mandatory.

I'd recommend using Jason @ BW Chiptune as I've been using him for years, and the quality of his work is impeccable. I've seen too many horror stories with people doing half-assed DPF removals!