530D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Hi Everyone,
    This is my first post in the forum, so hello to everybody.
    I have a year old 530D F11 Touring, purchased a few weeks ago from BMW dealer in England with 3900 miles on clock. Brilliant car in every respect, drives great & everything works. I've done about 1000 miles since I got the car. Only problem is the car has a warning message that states I need to "replace the battery".
    Local BMW Dealer in Scotland has confirmed the battery of the remote key is ok and the car is booked in to get the car battery charged overnight on Monday 16th April. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Premium Member
    Car Details
    matthew_henson's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E61 525d Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring/Estate
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,412 Times in 1,223 Posts
    Firslty welcome.... green with envy I shall be buying an F11 530d when my finances improve

Thankfully the car is under warranty however I suspect the issue is with the IBS system (Inteligent battery sensor) which monitors the condition of battery and prevents it from fully discharging in the event of an electrical fault or when a light intentionally left on for example.

Given you car is a so low mileage there is a chance it has sat for a while and lost charge. The IBS recorded the condition of the battery when it is connected so if it is fitted discharged it will regard that as near full charge and won't charge it further. In order to fix the battery will need charging with the car disconnected. There is a slight possiblity the battery is duff but again you are lucky to still be under warranty

4. The Following User Says Thank You to matthew_henson For This Useful Post:

gobdoc (18-04-2012)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    gobdoc's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Hi,
    Thank you for your input.
    I got the car back today.
    Glasgow BMW were very helpful, they trickle charged the battery overnight to exclude the battery actually being discharged, however the problem warning light persisted. They then connected the car to some electronic equipment which suggested a "software update" was required. After updating the software the problem was solved, hopefully never to return. I can't recommend this car highly enough. I've had E class estates for 15 years but prefer my 530D, you won't be disappointed. Best wishes,