Model of Car:
    320i ES
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    SALOON
    Thanks
    Yes, that is fair, but it does not make friends, and if I was in the business of selling cars - I would want a few thousand friends right now.
    BMWUK have lost the mark up on the cars I might have bought over the next 10 years - plus what the wife might have bought (and she does like new cars and was interested in the 1series when they first came out, even though for some feminine reason, she sees no virtue in RWD).
    I wonder how many will be lost as a result of this thread.
    How much better off the short-sighted clerks would have been if they had me singing their praises rather than slagging them off in this fashion.
    There is more to marketing than being right. I don't know if BMWUK's competitors would have done differently but I do know a missed trick when I see one.
    regards, DUN
    censored:BMWUK

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BFuk Legend
    Car Details
    steve23002's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530i Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,379 Times in 5,803 Posts
    With regards to the brake bleeder we were talking about, do you have a compressor?

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    DUNBUYINGBMW's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320i ES
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    SALOON
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by steve23002 View Post
    With regards to the brake bleeder we were talking about, do you have a compressor?
    Only a tyre inflator, a bicycle pump or the wife with a big hammer!

GILDERSOL made a good point earlier and if I may return to that (since I don't know how to add a footnote) my beef with BMWUK is not so much that they were not willing to come to the rescue BUT THAT THEY DID NOT RECOGNISE THE FLAW IN THE MANUAL THAT LED TO THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE. Admittedly some engine damage would have been caused at the original 'grunt' - but I am quite certain that the bulk of whatever damage was done was caused BY SUBSEQUENTLY DRIVING[COLOR="Red"]AND THE MANUAL DIRECTS THE OWNER TO DO JUST THAT[COLOR="red"]
    - it does not matter how careful one is, the very act of driving imposes variable stresses on something already damaged.
    regards DUN

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320i ES
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    SALOON
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DUNBUYINGBMW View Post
    Only a tyre inflator, a bicycle pump or the wife with a big hammer!

GILDERSOL made a good point earlier and if I may return to that (since I don't know how to add a footnote) my beef with BMWUK is not so much that they were not willing to come to the rescue BUT THAT THEY DID NOT RECOGNISE THE FLAW IN THE MANUAL THAT LED TO THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE. Admittedly some engine damage would have been caused at the original 'grunt' - but I am quite certain that the bulk of whatever damage was done was caused BY SUBSEQUENTLY DRIVING[COLOR="Red"]AND THE MANUAL DIRECTS THE OWNER TO DO JUST THAT[COLOR="red"]
    - it does not matter how careful one is, the very act of driving imposes variable stresses on something already damaged.
    regards DUN
    I DON'T WANT TO BELIEVE THIS BUT IT HAS DONE ALMOST THE SAME THING AGAIN - in almost the same place, and ordinarily I would put it down to a freak radio signal or something EXEPT THAT LAST TIME IT COST ME £5K.!!!
    Any way thanks to Green Flag it is back at the supplying dealership, and the NETWORK, in the hands of a nice young gentleman named Richard. I do hope Richard will have something accurate to report. Good and not too expensive would be a bonus, but I shall be pleased to settle for something accurate.
    I know this is not the correct forum but if anybody wants to make me an offer - right now I would seriously consider a straight swap for a pink Citroen AX!!!!!!!
    Oh - the difference was there was no noise, the light just came on all quietly like, and it was not surrounded by the trapezium for which the manual says is an engine fault with adverse effect on exhaust emissions, and 'What to do ' is left blank! Hardly helpful.
    At least it gives the dealership and/or BMWUK the chance to prove their original point! What's the betting they come back with----if you had brought it to us in the first place cur (sorry - sir) we would have----- as it is, I am afraid cur (sorry sir)---it will cost you******.
    I hope I am wrong.
    regards DUN

BFuk Legend
    Car Details
    steve23002's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530i Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,379 Times in 5,803 Posts
    I feel for you mate. Thats bad luck...

Remember to keep us informed with what happens, hope it all works out for you....

7. The Following User Says Thank You to steve23002 For This Useful Post:

DUNBUYINGBMW (27-11-2009)

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Kevin Whittaker's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E30 325iSE, E36 M3 convertible and E91 330i Msport
    Year of Manufacture:
    1988, 1997 & 2008
    Transmission Type:
    Manual, Manual & Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe, Convertible & Touring
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,020 Times in 3,812 Posts
    Fingers crossed for you this time DUN, hope it turns out right

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin Whittaker For This Useful Post:

DUNBUYINGBMW (27-11-2009)

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,051 Times in 5,322 Posts
    Hello and welcome to Bimmerforums UK, it's good to have you on board with us,

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320i ES
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    SALOON
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    Hello and welcome to Bimmerforums UK, it's good to have you on board with us,
    This time, I have been told it was something I did myself - at least that is what the tech said after £200 of diagnostics and testing. Sorry if I have become paranoid. I reckoned that even without a Haynes manual I was up to changing the air filter myself -; - but when I could not seal the joint, I taped it up. Appears this tape (or the effect thereof) is what led to the yellow light.
    Oddly enough, I am re-assured, because they spotted something I did - it proves they looked. This does not alter the point though - CONTINUE DRIVING ON THE YELLOW LIGHT AT YOUR PERIL - my £200 this time is much less unacceptable than the bill when I did continue on the yellow last time it showed.regards , DUN

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DUNBUYINGBMW For This Useful Post:

steve23002 (28-11-2009)

13. Closing this thread - still angry 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320i ES
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    SALOON
    Thanks
    Well £200 got me 4 days without a yellow engine management light! It is now back! The manual says this this one (not surrounded by the yellow trapezium) is just to warn the mixture is not as clean as it should be. The manual (or to be fair the 'handbook', with the helpfulness I have come to view as BMW's trademark shows a blank space under 'What to do'!
    In drawing this thread to a close, I thank those of you who pointed out that BMWUK honoured it's contract - I was already aware of that, and I posted this thread to warn others:
    1) If you intend buying a BMW make certain you have easy arrangements for maintenance within the warranty period - mine involves either much walking and two train journeys or waiting in the dealership while the vehicle is attended to - which is why I had the servicing done so much more conveniently at an independent (incidentally still 'recommended????') on this site.
    2) Do not expect the BMW 'handbook' to be either accurate or of much help, and if you do follow it's advice, do not expect BMWUK to do any more than it is obliged to do by law. In my case, instead of contributing any 'Goodwill', (and I should have been happy with only a small contribution to my costs in view of the contractual position) BMWUK expected me to somehow demonstrate that the red light never came on and that I had driven on the yellow only carefully.

It is for these reasons that I have DUNBUYINGBMW.

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    dazza316i's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316i compact
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    hatchback
    Thanks
    im local to you and can recomend 2 very good garages siddlesham garage been using for years and my whole family now use with not a single complaint from any of us and also reecar not the cheapest garage around but the guy that runs it taught almost all the mechanics in this area as was tutor at chi university for many years and does everything the right way and has access to resources most garages dont as calls in favours from all his ex students that work for dealerships hope this helps
    dazza

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dazza316i For This Useful Post:

DUNBUYINGBMW (22-12-2009),steve23002 (18-12-2009)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast