530i Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,379 Times in 5,803 Posts
    TBH you shouldnt really have any problems with rust on a newer BMW. But as you are near the sea waxoyl in the box sections wouldnt do any harm...
    The hydraulic clutch should be fed via the brake fluid reserviour. You will need a vacuum bleeder to bleed the brakes anf the clutch though...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to steve23002 For This Useful Post:

DUNBUYINGBMW (23-11-2009)

3. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Richardb's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i CI
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NealP View Post
    I agree with StK, I wouldn't go worrying members with a rare incident such as yours. I would have checked the competence of the independent first to see how many of these engines he has worked on before coming to a conclusion that the engine is at fault. That list seems like a lot of unnecessary work carried out to me.
    It’s an interesting thread for me to read and as usual with hindsight it is easy to be wise. But it does highlight AKAIC that whether you go to a dealer or an Indie if they can’t pull the codes and don’t know the BM’s, you’ve potentially got big problems.

I doubt that the mechanic pulled any codes he just assumed he knew what the problem was and started to get deeper and deeper out of his depth. Not exactly fair on the OP and with a 5K bill I'd be really pissed too.

Given the low mileage I'm also unsure how well whoever/dealership serviced/maintained/inspected the vehicle??? Might be worth finding another option?

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    DUNBUYINGBMW's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320i ES
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    SALOON
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richardb View Post
    It’s an interesting thread for me to read and as usual with hindsight it is easy to be wise. But it does highlight AKAIC that whether you go to a dealer or an Indie if they can’t pull the codes and don’t know the BM’s, you’ve potentially got big problems.

I doubt that the mechanic pulled any codes he just assumed he knew what the problem was and started to get deeper and deeper out of his depth. Not exactly fair on the OP and with a 5K bill I'd be really pissed too.

Given the low mileage I'm also unsure how well whoever/dealership serviced/maintained/inspected the vehicle??? Might be worth finding another option?
    Thanks - what other option do you have in mind?
    My intention is to do as much as I can myself in future. I have a neighbour who spends most of his retirement under a 1960's Jag - it never comes off the axle stands so I have difficulty grasping the point - but he seems happy.
    I am not as agile as I used to be and do not intend to spend as long under the EBB (Expensive Bosch *******) as he does under his Jag. Plus, it will be a bit of a game getting it up so will want to do as much as poss. when it is up.
    I have already put a pressure brake bleeding system on my Xmas list - any guidance as to model, bearing in mind I shall only be using it once every two years, would be appreciated. regards DUN
    censored:BMWUK

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320i ES
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    SALOON
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by steve23002 View Post
    TBH you shouldnt really have any problems with rust on a newer BMW. But as you are near the sea waxoyl in the box sections wouldnt do any harm...
    The hydraulic clutch should be fed via the brake fluid reserviour. You will need a vacuum bleeder to bleed the brakes anf the clutch though...
    Thanks again - wish I had known of this site a year ago! So the clutch is fed from the brake fluid reservoir - it is really useful to know that, and accounts for why I cannot find a clutch reservoir. Why could the salesman not have advised things like that instead of droning on about BMW finance
    If it is not breaking forum rules, what model will be best for me?. I shall be using it only once every two years but do want to avoid having to get up and out any more than is necessary to do the job. Sealey seem to do a suitable one VS020? on ebay for £20 or so. regards DUN

BFuk Legend
    Car Details
    steve23002's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530i Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,379 Times in 5,803 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DUNBUYINGBMW View Post
    Thanks again - wish I had known of this site a year ago! So the clutch is fed from the brake fluid reservoir - it is really useful to know that, and accounts for why I cannot find a clutch reservoir. Why could the salesman not have advised things like that instead of droning on about BMW finance
    If it is not breaking forum rules, what model will be best for me?. I shall be using it only once every two years but do want to avoid having to get up and out any more than is necessary to do the job. Sealey seem to do a suitable one VS020? on ebay for £20 or so. regards DUN

I will look one up for you on my lunch hour mate.......

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Richardb's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i CI
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DUNBUYINGBMW View Post
    Thanks - what other option do you have in mind?
    It's finding a mechanic who you trust. Bognor Regis is a bit too far away or I would put you in touch with the mechanic that I been using for 20 years, top bloke and so far I never given him anything that he can't handle.

The local Ford dealership even give him repairs that they can't solve (despite all their diagnostic equipment)!!!

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320i ES
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    SALOON
    Thanks
    That was a kind thought for which I thank you. I have already gone down that route and my new mate is coming up trumps so far. He came back from his workshop the other day having looked up (God knows where) the codes to reset the service intervals
    However, I would not wish to impose or abuse his free assistance, so shall continue to ask on this forum until somebody tells me not to.
    I found my old torque wrench this morning - the wife had been using it to prop open the freezer lid.
    Not so lucky with all of the small Gunson bits I used to have - - - - seems they may have not survived the last house move 20 years ago
    regards DUN

Thanks
    I feel for you. I think you were short changed by the garage. (work wise that is) If they fitted coils to a car with such catastrophic damage then sent you on your way then they have seriously let you down in my opinion.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320i ES
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    SALOON
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gildersol View Post
    I feel for you. I think you were short changed by the garage. (work wise that is) If they fitted coils to a car with such catastrophic damage then sent you on your way then they have seriously let you down in my opinion.
    Yes but I feel even more let down by the clerks at BMWUK to whom I gave the opportunity to come to the rescue. To give even more detail, and to be fair to the indie, when it was clear he was struggling, he allowed it to sit in his workshop for several weeks without specific charge, while I telephoned and subsequently entered into protracted correspondence with BMWUK (can happilly give names if it does not break the rules) who simply did not want to know. Their line was quite clear YOU ARE OUT OF WARRANTY; YOU DID NOT EXTEND IT; YOU TOOK IT OUTSIDE OUR NETWORK; YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN.

One of my motivations for this thread is to let you all know the flavour of BMWUK. I don't believe I have misrepresented any of this. I doubt even they will be so incompetent as not to monitor this site, and, if it is not against the rules, I would be quite happy for them to come on and justify their (non)action. I think I have represented it fairly in the capitals above.

So that is at least 3 lost sales over the next 10 years as I squeeze every last dop of life out of this finely engineered but appallingly poorly after sales marketed car. The wife likes buying new cars but HATES BMWs now with a vengeance only the fairer sex can exhibit. I can guarantee without a shred of doubt that the new cars I buy for her will be anything but BMWs. Personally I wish she liked Jags, but I fear she will end up mitt yet another Bosch - der scirroccoDUN

Thanks
    I think your argument is one that could apply to almost every purchase. If you buy a product from a manufacturer, then allow an independant to strip it to bits and then hope for the manufacturer to come and put it all back together without asking you to drop your pants first you know what the response will be.
    I can understand that you took the car to an independant, as I steer clear of Dealers whenever I can (I understand that's why people join forums such as this) but I also think that once I had let the indy go so far that it was becoming obvious they couldn't fix it, I would realise that I had then gone too far to expect the Dealer to step in.
    It happens everywhere...'Sorry mate but sumbdy else has been buggering about with this'
    As i said earlier, I do understand your frustration with this but I'm not surprised with the Dealer/Manufacturers stance.
    I hope the car behaves itself in the future and you don't have to spend too much of your time on your back looking up at it's belly

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast