330i M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Hi all

New member here, great forum and enjoyed having a good look around.

I'm on my second BMW now but experiencing problems for the first time :-( This great place seems to be where I could get some real hope! I don't want to double post but I don't think part of my querey has been covered here yet. Maybe this should be in the technical section?

Please bare with me as I'm not exactly technically gifted or have any mechanical knowledge whatsoever!

The main issue started on my 330i Sport saloon with a vibration through the brake pedal and steering wheel under braking at speeds over 50mph. I had the front control arm bushings replaced and the rear discs and pads changed too as they were warped. The problem improved but didn't disappear, I think the front discs need replacing too. There is also a knocking from the steering and a play in the steering wheel of a couple of inches. I've seen from the site this could be UV joints? Can this be contributing to the vibrating under braking?

The issue that I can't see has been covered is a new noise that has materialised from the steering wheel itself, audible when in the car. When turning the wheel there is a whining, almost sounds like a cat moaning type noise or the sound of something winding. Can this be related to the knocking issue or totally separate? Any ideas!? Please see video below to have a listen

Any help greatly appreciated. Again, apologies if I should be posting this elsewhere

Cheers guys

Jack

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

rm1
    Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    rm1's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    vibration through the wheel can be a number of things obviously front discs are a possibility as is the steering uj's (an e46 weak point) but tyres can do funny things as well are you running decent matched tyres?

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Pooper's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Not sure why you have rear brake components changed when its the front ones causing issues?

Warped disks are easy to identify. you will feel the brakes fluttering at all speeds, especially if you use light brake pressure. However i wouldn't be rushing to change disks. Warped disks are not that common, i find a change of the pads themselves often is a simple and effective and cheap solution as sometimes the pads go "Bad" rather than anything else. YMMV obv.

Other sources of vibration can be suspension stearing wear but again, its quite uncommon. I'd be looking at the ball joints on the stearing rack. They can wear and become loose ( fairly obvoius when you rattle them) A good check is to jack the wheel up, leave the car in neutral and FIRMLY with both hands try to feel for play in both the vertical and horizontal directions. Vertical play is classic wheel bearing failure. Horizontal play is stearing linkage play.

I suspect (As above) a jammed brake shoe though in your case

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    JackMsport's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330i M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Many thanks for your replies

The tyres are not performance branded rubber from what I gather. The rears are Accelera, the fronts are Kenda Radial. I haven’t heard of either and were on the car when I purchased it. Good tread on both.

I Changed the rear discs and pads because they were certainly warped. The issue is still there though. The front ones don’t seem too bad and there appears to be enough on the pads left.

I think I need to check the ball joints by the looks of it. Does the UJ joint which is creating this knocking noise have the ability to create the wheel shake and the judder in the brake medal? Or is it unrelated?

This bit will be hard to explain….At very low speeds (rolling in traffic for instance) when I very lightly press the brake pedal, it feels as though the wheel is catching (or rubbing) on every rotation. Either that or there is movement/wobble in the wheels. I put it down to the brakes as I have already had the control arm bushes replaced. Could the ball joints create this sensation as well as the vibration under braking? It looks like I need to check the ball joints anyway by the sounds of it.

How is a play in the steering linkage rectified? Expensive jobby?

The winding noise from the steering wheel is a mystery and I really haven’t got a clue what that is!

PS, mileage of the car is 86k. Not sure if that has any bearing on possibly diagnosis.

Many thanks for your advice guys. I’m totally lost!

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Pooper's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    For a nomal car, stearing BJ's are about £20.
    Easy to fit, but you need the tracking done afterwards.

But you have a series of issues. I suspect there is common fault somewhere, However i'd be inclined to find a good independant garage and have them take a look.
    I little tip for you here btw. When going to a garage for for service or issues, its important to word your request clearly. In fact, writing it down and leaving it on a piece of paper on the passenger seat isn't a bad idea. Give your mechanica list of your faults etc (your list above is quite unclear, "play in the steering wheel of a couple of inches" for example)

Fault chasing can be expensive. Let the garage do it!

Also if you actually do have play of a couple of inches in the steering wheel i advise you to not drive it as that is actually dangerous.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    JackMsport's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330i M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Thanks a lot for your feedback.

It looks like I'm just going to take it to an Independant and see what they can find. I just want it sorted as it's a wonerful car!

Will report back on here when done.

Cheers