1998 318is E36 Sticky starter motor shaft.

Notices

Thread: 1998 318is E36 Sticky starter motor shaft.

Reply to Thread
  1. 1998 318is E36 Sticky starter motor shaft. 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    miles14's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual 5spd
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Hi, this is my first post on this forum. I got this car for my son as his first car, it's got 200,000k's on it, but a great car. My problem is the starter spins but does not throw out to engage the starter ring. I removed the starter and found the shaft had a sticky layer of grease on it, so I cleaned it and left the shaft dry (as i was taught in 1977) so I stripped and cleaned out the starter and found it to be in good condition. It worked great for about a month and then had the same problem again, this time I cleaned the shaft and took some advice from an auto sparky and put a bit of the silver Loctite anti seize on the shaft, but this time it work good for 2weeks. This time I cleaned it and left it dry again but I know it's going to fail. Someone suggested the clutch could be failing and producing excessive dust. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Stairforce's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    323i convertible (E36)
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miles14 View Post
    Hi, this is my first post on this forum. I got this car for my son as his first car, it's got 200,000k's on it, but a great car. My problem is the starter spins but does not throw out to engage the starter ring. I removed the starter and found the shaft had a sticky layer of grease on it, so I cleaned it and left the shaft dry (as i was taught in 1977) so I stripped and cleaned out the starter and found it to be in good condition. It worked great for about a month and then had the same problem again, this time I cleaned the shaft and took some advice from an auto sparky and put a bit of the silver Loctite anti seize on the shaft, but this time it work good for 2weeks. This time I cleaned it and left it dry again but I know it's going to fail. Someone suggested the clutch could be failing and producing excessive dust. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Our E36 323i, which we have had for 2 years/30,000 miles has just started doing the same. Turn the key, high pitched whine as the starter motor turns rapidly, not loaded, engine does not turn or start. Elsewhere on here, I have read that the
    starter motor is a b*tch to remove.