BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2001 bmw 320 engine advice

Tags
1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  sd58 
#1 ·
HI to the forum i need some advice .can i do a engine change like for like/or do i need ecu to match and any other parts to complete job.Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Are you swapping a 2.0 litre lump for a 2.0 lump litre or do you want to put a bigger engine in?

Same block means you keep your existing ECU, different engine will require the ECU for that engine, if it is coming from a donar car, make sure you bring the locks and keys over, it will save you the effort for reprogramming the DDE (ECU) with new key codes. Also be aware that when buying an engine without a donor car you usually only get the block and none of the ancillary parts like PS pumps, alternators etc. so make sure you are buying the right thing

This post has been deleted
#8 ·
Hi still having problems have done sniff test all ok no 0il contamination or water contamination.Called 2 independent bmw garages .they .said very rarely taken heads off unless overheated not in my case.Quote 6 hrs labour at £45 if hydraulic tappets around £40 each x4.even worse may be piston rings/but not smoking

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.