Poor value from Birds of Iver (E87 120d M sport 2006)

Notices

Thread: Poor value from Birds of Iver (E87 120d M sport 2006)

Reply to Thread
  1. Poor value from Birds of Iver (E87 120d M sport 2006) 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Slartibartfast_42's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    120d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Hatch

Thanks
    I just wanted to warn people about this Indy garage. I had a handbrake cable snap just before an MOT was due. I also needed an oil change (and micro filter), brake fluid change, and to find out what was rattling in my exhaust mid section under the drivers seat. Whilst doing the pre-MOT check they also found a leaky shock which was apparently a fail so I agreed to have that done too.

I went to them after reading recommendations on this forum so thought they would be a safe bet. They were very helpful, took the car in the next day and gave me a high mileage 118d (mapped so not much difference in performance) loaner for a fee of £25.

So they did an hours worth of diagnostics to verify that the handbrake cables had snapped (I told them they had), and then gave me an estimate of just shy of £1100! Ouch I thought (and emailed them to say that it was a bit expensive). At this time the clock was ticking and as the rear brakes were in bits I thought I would let them finish the job hoping some labour would be saved by having them already taken apart.

So they tell me the job is done a day and a bit later, but they bust the estimate because they needed a spring kit too.

Break down (my prices with vat in brackets, theirs are pre-vat):

Oil and brake fluid £90 (£60 for 8 ltrs same oil, £5 brake fluid)
    Handbrake cables £42 (£26)
    Spring kit £34 (I didn't investigate this)
    Sundries £25 (£0 - what is this for, rubber gloves and tissue??)
    Shock £122 (I didn't investigate this)

Time (all more than the Auto tech recommended times by ~20mins)
    1.5 hrs oil/brake fluid/micro filter
    1.5 hrs handbrake
    1.5 hrs shock
    +1 hr diagnostics.
    all at £90/hr!

So my hopes that they were managing expectations with a high estimate to come in cheaper were unfounded. I rang my local main dealer and was quoted £900 including vat labour and parts for the same jobs! So this Indy was more expensive than a main BMW dealer! Where is the sense in that? Regretting trusting the reviews on here hence I want to set the record straight.

Needless to say when I questioned them about their costs (oil price in particular) and showed them the dealer costing (email) they tried to bluff there way out of it and saying I wouldn't get the same quality from the dealers (?!), despite not being able to justify or explain what extra quality I had got for my £185!

Unfortunately I was unable to get them to budge on the bill. Hence this warning:
    Don't use these guys unless you enjoy paying half a month's take home pay for less than a days work!

HIGHWAY ROBBERY IS OBVIOUSLY STILL A HAZARD IN IVER!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slartibartfast_42 For This Useful Post:

jagrs (17-12-2016), payno (16-12-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Slartibartfast_42's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    120d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Hatch

Thanks
    Just an update: The day after I got it back I noticed a service warning! A red car on jacks with 9/2016 under it! Shurely this should have been cleared? What will that be for?