Just had a smash, can I insist on BMW dealer repairs?

Notices

Thread: Just had a smash, can I insist on BMW dealer repairs?

Reply to Thread
  1. Just had a smash, can I insist on BMW dealer repairs? 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    evade's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    touring

Thanks
    Hello all, I need some quick advice. I searched to see if anyone has asked this before but can't find anything, apologies if this is a dupe...

I just bought a lovely low mileage 55 plate 330d touring three weeks ago, my first bimmer and my pride and joy. This morning some numpty in a huge lorry smashed into the back of me and ripped up the tailgate and bumper. Gutted. Still, it's all cut and dried, the bloke's firm have admitted liability etc. My insurance have said they're going to pick up the car today to take it to NorthStar in Hounslow to get it sorted.

Now, after reading some threads here, I'm a bit worried that they're taking it to some tinpot garage rather than an official bimmer garage. Should I kick up a fuss and insist that they take it to a bimmer dealer? Does it make a difference and can I even do that? I don't want to p*** them off cos they've been very efficient so far, but don't want to regret it later if they do a rubbish job.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Evade

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Master
    Car Details
    BMW IOW's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Yes - kick up a fuss. You can have the work done where ever you want. For some places you'll be expected to pay first and claim it back from their insurance company but i'm sure for dealer repairs you can just contact your insurer to contact theirs or contact theirs direct and tell them that the car has to be repaired by the main dealer. If it's a 55 plate then its only 4 years old.... Is it still on warantee, if so you can tell them that it has to be BMW repair to validate the warantee.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BMW IOW For This Useful Post:

evade (20-07-2009)

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,115 Times in 5,338 Posts
    Call your insurer and notify that you don't want to make a claim though them...let the other party's insurer take the bill. That way, you won't be out of pocket for any excess and other costs which you need to recover. Ring your nearest BMW dealer with a body shop dept and let them handle the claim process. You will definitely be given a BMW courtesy car and the other party's insurer will foot the bill.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to xXNealXx For This Useful Post:

evade (20-07-2009)

7. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    evade's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    touring

Thanks
    Thanks both. Wow, this is news to me. I just got off the phone with my local dealer and they're handling it all through Accident Exchange and not involving my insurance at all. Getting the work done by a dealer and yep, get a BMW courtesy car to boot. Brilliant. I'm almost suspicious at how easy it's all been. Cheers!

Evade

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    mboon's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    use accident exchange mat,e i have just had one on my M3, they replace your car with like for like, and let you chose where to get it fixed too

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    mboon's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    bugger too late lol i was the same mat,e they gave me a brand new e90 330ci msport vert while my car was in for repair, it had everything and was lovely! shame I had to give it back, do not answer the phone to his insurance company if you go through accident exchange, they will try and get out of giving you a like for like car

Administrator
    Car Details
    Ian S's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 Evo, E60 530D, 911 C4S, Yaris T Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Loon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,253 Times in 1,723 Posts
    BMW have their own accident management comapny as well. Could be worth calling them.

I wouldn't claim through my own insurance company on a non-fault claim.

Ian

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    evade's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    touring

Thanks
    Cheers mboon/Ian.

So Accident Exchanged turned up last night with the so-called 'like-for-like' replacement and I have to say I'm not very happy. Since when is an 08 plate M3 a like-for-like motor with my old 55 330d touring??! What's that all about??

Well, I guess I'll just have to put up with it. You just can't get the service nowadays...

Seriously, AE & BMW (Berry Chiswick) have been amazing. I really don't care if this kind of things bumps up premiums across the board, cos I want service like this when some doughnut has trashed my ride. I'm very happy.

I just don't know what I'm going to do when I have to give the m3immer back...??

Thanks for all your advice.

Evade

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    contractor's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    m6
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    smg
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    As has already been said, if it's not your fault take it a BMW dealer and they will look after you. My OH's 04 e46 330i conv was hit while stationary. Accident Exchange gave her a 630i as they didn't have a spare e46.

I had a prang in my M6 and got a Merc CL600 next day, delivered (their guy took my car to the dealer) courtesy of Sytner Drive. I get my car back 05/08/09.

In short if it's not your fault, don't hesitate in going to a dealer and making the at fault party pay. Why should you suffer?

I told my insurer that I had had an accident and it was not my fault and was claiming on their insurance. Don't forget to see if a not-at-fault incident affects your premium (3 years) and add it to your claim. Some, like Elephant will increase your claim even if you are not at fault. Check!