328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Hi all,

i used to live in an apartment that had a parking under the flat which was soley owned by me and i could use it to fix my car, i had a chance to even take the engine out if i wanted to but i have now moved into a flat which has an underground parking shared between everyone and i have a slot of this

it doesn't look nice if i go there and start jacking up the car and etc as it is also on my agreement not to carry out any repairs

fair enough i can still do simple repairs such as changing the pads or etc but for instance wheel alignment or changing clutch etc would not be possible( i can still try but guess will annoy people)

so i was thinking of renting or buying a small garage which is again expensive and can not justify paying 15k for a small garage just maybe once in a blue moon i go there for repairs

renting the same, i have to sign a contract for few month and costs 60-100 per month which it may be well cheaper to pay mechanic to do it when something goes wrong

are there any places that is not expensive that you could use to repair your car etc? or has anyone tried going to a local mechanic and pay them i don't know £20 a day and just do all jobs at one corner of their garage ?

any advices are appreciated

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    donato's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    I know there is a place not too far from me, It's basically a unit with about 10 car ramps that are rented out to anyone that wants to use them. I think they charge £10 an hour and you can do whatever you want. It's a good idea if you need a repair place or somewhere to go in the wet/cold. But i'm not sure if there is something like that closer to you?

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    ben m's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    I would be really interested to know about this. I have seen things about renting garage space with ramps etc. in the past but can't remember for the life of me any details of them. I currently live on a road where parking is a complete PITA and you have cars, people etc. quite regularly. Being able to rent workshop space would be brilliant!

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Dez-Derek's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e39 523i SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic/Steptronic
    Car Body Type:
    Sedan/Saloon
    Thanks
    Ben M, Are you in Portsmouth, too? Me too!

As for renting a garage with ramps, I remember going onto that website, but the only location was in London. It would be nice if there was one in Portsmouth or all the major cities in the UK. They had tools provided for you as well, and any car help that you might need. There would be other people repairing their cars too!

I found one in Coventry;
    DIY Car and Motorcycle Servicing in Coventry - The Midlands Only DIY Garage

Essex, (Southend-on-sea);
    U-Spanner | Self-Service DIY car and motorbike workshop garage for hire

Another in Essex;
    Welcome to DIY Garages | DIY Car Work in Bromsgrove, Essex

Here's the one in London;
    Pit Start - Self Service Garage - 020 8827 1919

That's all I could find. Gumtree.com had ads of people renting out their garages.

Driven by experience and pleasure

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dez-Derek For This Useful Post:

stickle (06-06-2012)

BMW Master
    Car Details
    dellboy1959's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    B10 V8
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    I would imagine there's not many about nowadays as the H/S side of things will be an absolute nightmare.

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    donato's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    ben m's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dez-Derek View Post
    Ben M, Are you in Portsmouth, too? Me too!

As for renting a garage with ramps, I remember going onto that website, but the only location was in London. It would be nice if there was one in Portsmouth or all the major cities in the UK. They had tools provided for you as well, and any car help that you might need. There would be other people repairing their cars too!

I found one in Coventry;
    DIY Car and Motorcycle Servicing in Coventry - The Midlands Only DIY Garage

Essex, (Southend-on-sea);
    U-Spanner | Self-Service DIY car and motorbike workshop garage for hire

Another in Essex;
    Welcome to DIY Garages | DIY Car Work in Bromsgrove, Essex

Here's the one in London;
    Pit Start - Self Service Garage - 020 8827 1919

That's all I could find. Gumtree.com had ads of people renting out their garages.
    Hi Dez, I am indeed in Portsmouth. Don't think I have ever seen you around but will be sure to give you a flash if I do

Your right it would be nice, trying to work in my car in Portsmouth really isn't easy! I am in the middle of Southsea so don't even have a drive etc. I have seen garages to rent as space on Gumtree etc. but never thought to use them to work on my car, expensive option to! And I haven't ever seen workshop garages to rent.

I think it would be great, you would get to know the people who used it and I think as well as being useful it would be a good laugh. Good source to learn from other people to. Have to agree with Dellboy though, the way things are now H/S would make it almost impossible without huge insurance and all sorts of other things!...

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Dez-Derek's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e39 523i SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic/Steptronic
    Car Body Type:
    Sedan/Saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ben m View Post
    Hi Dez, I am indeed in Portsmouth. Don't think I have ever seen you around but will be sure to give you a flash if I do

Your right it would be nice, trying to work in my car in Portsmouth really isn't easy! I am in the middle of Southsea so don't even have a drive etc. I have seen garages to rent as space on Gumtree etc. but never thought to use them to work on my car, expensive option to! And I haven't ever seen workshop garages to rent.

I think it would be great, you would get to know the people who used it and I think as well as being useful it would be a good laugh. Good source to learn from other people to. Have to agree with Dellboy though, the way things are now H/S would make it almost impossible without huge insurance and all sorts of other things!...
    ah sweet I'm between Northend and town, near London Road. You probably haven't seen me because I haven't driven in a while, because my car developed a misfire lol. What does your car look like? I know it's a 320D. Yeah Portsmouth has some really tight roads and parking is not Portsmouth's strong point especially down in Southsea near the beach.

Yeah DIY garages would be great. Couldn't the garage put up a sign to say "Use at your own risk"? Like when you park in a shopping centre, they have signs that say something like "supermarket will not be held responsible if things get stolen or damage. Leave things at your own risk" etc.

Driven by experience and pleasure

BMW Master
    Car Details
    dellboy1959's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    B10 V8
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Yeah DIY garages would be great. Couldn't the garage put up a sign to say "Use at your own risk"? Like when you park in a shopping centre, they have signs that say something like "supermarket will not be held responsible if things get stolen or damage. Leave things at your own risk" etc.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately it's not as easy as that,Believe me,If it was i would be renting a workshop and doing exactly that.
    There's too many factors that can go wrong so H/S would be on your case all the time and the insurance premiums would be through the roof as well so not a good financial option I'm afraid (bloody H/S)

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    ben m's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dez-Derek View Post
    ah sweet I'm between Northend and town, near London Road. You probably haven't seen me because I haven't driven in a while, because my car developed a misfire lol. What does your car look like? I know it's a 320D. Yeah Portsmouth has some really tight roads and parking is not Portsmouth's strong point especially down in Southsea near the beach.

Yeah DIY garages would be great. Couldn't the garage put up a sign to say "Use at your own risk"? Like when you park in a shopping centre, they have signs that say something like "supermarket will not be held responsible if things get stolen or damage. Leave things at your own risk" etc.
    Yea I know roughly where you are. In am off Albert rd so parking is probably worse than right by the seafront lol. Saying that though the whole of Portsmouth is bad, north end is just as bad.

It's currently a completely standard face lift 320d in oriental blue. I will post in the introductions forum once I get round to taking some photos. Got things the wrong way round and just for involved in posting!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast