BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

e46 Cooling system replacement

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Brimstone 
#1 ·
Alright guys,

I have a e46 325 sport, about to have its service II. Its just done 70k.

While its there I was wondering if its worth having the cooling system replaced as it seems they can be a weak point at this mileage? Apparently the hoses can start to go brittle and can leak and also the pump could do with a replacement with the metal rather than plastic propeller pump?

Are they any kits off the shelf you can buy? Its seems there are in the US but not over here. I would rather do the whole system rather than having to do bits here and there.

Not a problem if I have to buy the parts individually, just easier to do it in one.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

#4 ·
As stated above, the rad needs close inspection. After 8-9 years they are either about to go pop or are on their last legs. Get either a Behr or Nissens, but avoid the nasty 60-80 quid ones as they're crap. The clip fit hoses last well as does the much maligned plastic impeller pump, but a new KWP steel impeller pump is only 30 quid. A pump, rad and maybe a header tank, new antifreeze and replace the drivebelt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.