BMW E60 520d - Potentially getting screwed here..

Notices

Thread: BMW E60 520d - Potentially getting screwed here..

Closed Thread
  1. BMW E60 520d - Potentially getting screwed here.. 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    theguy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    520D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Unfortunately my E60 has completely packed up (symptoms: loud whistling noises when driving, putting the foot down has no impact on the acceleration, semi /very loud noises from the engine coming on and off and lot of smoke from the exhaust)
    It's currently in with the dealership who told me that they want to charge me £2700 to take the engine apart and tell me just what is wrong with it.

They have already concluded that the turbo charger has completely packed up so will need replacing.

Now they suspect that the timing chain has also gone and to assess what further damage (if any) has been done they want to take the engine apart for the above cost (worst case: replace whole engine!!-Cost anyone?)

I do have RAC warranty but they have said they won't asses any claim for validity unless full diagnosis has been done after which they'll then make the call to see if it is something they will cover. From my previous experiences, I am edging more towards no as they are

So this is what I need you folk's help on please as I am not sure which path to follow given the potential cost to getting this freaking thing sorted!!!:

1) Cough up money and pray to God that whatever they find is covered by the warranty.
    2) Don't cough up the money, sell it on ebay with a reduced cost with a known fault.
    3) Part exchange with the dealer/stealership and get another one :-s
    4) anything else!?

Many thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    SlowTech's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,799 Times in 3,107 Posts
    Thread now closed, see duplicate thread continuing ..2007 E60 520d - Major engine problems with lots of ££££ snatching