BMW Dealer in Kent fobs off old man - what do you think?

Notices

Thread: BMW Dealer in Kent fobs off old man - what do you think?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. BMW Dealer in Kent fobs off old man - what do you think? 
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    lotuschris's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330i sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Hi Guys,

I saw a sad thing at my local BMW dealers this weekend, I wondered what your views are? I went to collect a part for my 330i, and there was an elderly chap in front of me in the queue. He wanted the service department to look at the car he bought brand new from them 6 months earlier, as he felt that on the motorway the steering got overly heavy, and had a tendency to pull to the left. In his own words "I don't feel comfortable driving it, can anyone have a look and tell me if there is a fault?". It was quite clear the poor old chap had not the first clue about cars, but he was very polite at all times and was clearly quite worried. The two guys on the other side of the desk did everything in their power to fob him off.

"The modern cars with wider tires do tramline and follow the grooves in the road, sir"

"The steering is speed sensitive, sir"

"We cannot adjust the power steering, it is set from the factory, sir".

I was thinking that at any moment some common sense and smidgen of customer care would kick in, and someone would say "well as you bought it from us let us check the tyre pressures, maybe one is a bit flat or soft?". Or "do you remember hitting a kerb or similar, perhaps the tracking needs some attention?". Even "the vehicle might have a fault, let us book it in so we can have a look, we don't want you driving it if you are uncomfortable".

It is worth saying that they were excellent with me, they had the bit I wanted in stock and could not have been more helpful. I also just got a great service from buypartsbuy.com, all my bits came the next day, so tomorrow I have booked the day off to give my car a general service and swap my bowed rad for a straight one.

What do you guys think? Anyone here work for a dealer of any brand who has a view, even if it is "if you do that job long enough you soon get to spot the old men time wasters, and you have to get rid of them".

Lotuschris

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    littledude101's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320si
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    what dealer was this?

I was in a dealer in Bexley the other week and saw something similar

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Spirit's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e36 323i se saloon
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,936 Times in 2,212 Posts
    Not just car dealers with this attitude either,went with my two boys looking for new shoes for them and got ignored for 35 minutes and then fobbed off with excuses when quite clearly they were talking about there friday night together and i promptly walked out taking my business elsewhere and i find it in loads of places now that the customer is made to feel like an idiot when the the customer is king and its your job to look after them.
    I NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM ANYWHERE IF I AM NOT MADE TO FEEL WELCOME AND NOR SHOULD ANYONE ELSE

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    lotuschris's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330i sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    I am a bit reluctant to name and shame, as there might be a hundred reasons why they did what they did and my post will therefore be unfair. I am not an expert or in the trade, and for all I know he might have been some nutter walking in off the street!

However, to me and the others in the queue it looked disgraceful. It wasn't the Bexleyheath one, no.

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,115 Times in 5,338 Posts
    Problem with some dealers is that it's a nightmare with after sales care under warranty. It used to be that BMW would reimburse the dealer for approved warranty work which is not a recall, so having a look over without replacing parts would be a loss. Seen this happen lots of times with them .

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    lotuschris's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330i sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Hmmm - I see. Surely on some issues (such as the above safety related matter) and with such a likely simple fix (soft tyre) on a car recently sold by themselves anyway it is a no-brainer?

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,115 Times in 5,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lotuschris View Post
    Hmmm - I see. Surely on some issues (such as the above safety related matter) and with such a likely simple fix (soft tyre) on a car recently sold by themselves anyway it is a no-brainer?
    Purely depends on how busy they are as well. Agreed that it should be looked at if it relates to safety aspect, but some of these staff can't be asked . God forbid if you go on a Saturday morning when they are only open till 12pm.

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Amos's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 Evolution
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    6 Speed Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe & Vert
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 829 Posts
    If that was in our dealership then those guys would get a telling off. Thats pure unprofessionalism.

As mentioned above the minimum they should have done should have been to get a tyre pressure guage and just confirm pressures, and adjust as necessary.

As for taking the car in for further diagnostic work, that wouldnt happen very often in a dealership on a saturday. Most dealerships dont do diagnostic work on a saturday full stop.

I would have expected, in the same situation, my members of staff to book him in for a diagnostics session, offering a courtesy car for minimum half a day. From there is a good base to work from.

Amos

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Amos For This Useful Post:

Spirit (22-02-2011)

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    nigel marshall's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    I work in a garage in Kent. I would like to think that it wouldn't happen there as I know
    the standards are higher than that.

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Brimstone's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritentwined View Post
    Not just car dealers with this attitude either,went with my two boys looking for new shoes for them and got ignored for 35 minutes and then fobbed off with excuses when quite clearly they were talking about there friday night together and i promptly walked out taking my business elsewhere and i find it in loads of places now that the customer is made to feel like an idiot when the the customer is king and its your job to look after them.
    I NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM ANYWHERE IF I AM NOT MADE TO FEEL WELCOME AND NOR SHOULD ANYONE ELSE
    Indeed. There's only one place I buy suits for example. I had to buy one a couple of years ago and stood like a f*ck*ng lemon in one place whilst the dopey assistants stood around like spare farts at a wedding. Same with 3 other places. Then I went to this place, the assistant was there straight away, asked me what I had in mind, showed me 2 or 3 Paul Smith suits and I was out the door with just what I wanted in under 20 minutes. £350, ker-ching.

The BMW dealer I worked for would have looked it over. Trouble is, they only have 2 or 3 mechanics in on a Saturday (odd I know) and they wouldn't have had time. But it should have been booked in for a check over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast