320d SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Hi,
    Two weeks ago, I bought a 2007 BMW from a BMW Dealer in Aberdeen. It was purchased under the approved BMW scheme.
    However, on closer inspection, it looks like the car has been accident repaired. I contacted the previous owner, who told me that the car had succumbed to a lot of damage.
    I then contacted the repair centre, to find that the car had the following repair:
    New bonnet, wings, bumper, bumper cover, headlights, foglights, uppper and lower grilles, radiator and intercooler.
    It looks like (as it is an expensive car) there was no Cat C/Cat D issues.
    However, Im very unhappy to have bought a car that was extensively damaged. The bonnet is not a great match or fit - thats what made me suspect there was a problem.
    The question is, what rights, if any, do I have? Im really quite furious to have been sold a damaged car and would dearly like to reject it.
    Any advice happily recieved.
    Regards
    Andy

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,115 Times in 5,338 Posts
    Did you buy it on finance Andy?

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Mushy08's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E87 118d M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    5 Door

Thanks
    Thats not good and I fully understand your not happy.

I would get a copy of the repair work and take it into BMW and see what they say.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Uber Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    redadair's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530d Sport (E60)
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Write a (written or email or both) letter to the dealer principal immediately. I had problems with a used approved car too but nothing like yours.

You have rights, 14 days I think, to opt out I think it's no quibble. Throw that at them, check your documentation.

Ask them why this was not explained to you up front. Report them to the police??? or some the papers?

Hope you make some head way! Red!

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    andytran's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by redadair View Post
    Write a (written or email or both) letter to the dealer principal immediately. I had problems with a used approved car too but nothing like yours.

You have rights, 14 days I think, to opt out I think it's no quibble. Throw that at them, check your documentation.

Ask them why this was not explained to you up front. Report them to the police??? or some the papers?

Hope you make some head way! Red!

Cheers all.

Unfortunately, Ive looked at the paperwork - there is not any no quibble guarantee.
    The wording is

"We are completely confident in the quality of our Approved Used BMWs. So much so, that if we are unable to resolve a demonstrable fault arising within the first 30 days/1000 miles of your ownership (whichever is sooner), you will be entitled to an exchange, or a refund if an appropriate exchange cannot be found**.

**This does not affect your statutory rights "

So Im hoping to work something under this clause - the wheel wobble below is of real concernm to me.

As things stand, I took the car in to them today - they will investigate further tomorrow and have given me a 118D M sport loan car until then, so they are trying hard to be helpful.

My 3 concerns are that:

1. Bonnet is not level at both sides of car (1 side is slightly above the wing, the other slightly below.).

2. The bonnet is a very slightly different colour and does not have the same clarity of reflection as the rest of the car paintwork.

3. There is a slight wobble in the steering which can be felt throughout the car as a vibration from 40mph upwards.

I have to say, I am 100% certain that the garage never knew about this damage when they sold the car, as it is not HPI registered.
    I sussed it out when washing the car and polishing it - the wrong bonnet level and colour stood out much more.
    This lead me to investigate further, and in the back of some of the cars paperwork, I found a guarantee for the body repairs that had been done. I then phoned the repair shop and asked exactly what had been replaced - thus leading to shouts of "aw bollox" and such like!!

The repairs that were conducted were done very well, considering almost every front end panel was replaced, only the bonnet gave the game away.

The dealer principle, workshop manager and salesman are having a meet tomorrow to discuss my concerns and I will get a phonecall after to discuss the way ahead.

Its a real dilemma - I absolutely love the car, its fantastic - but had I known about the damage, as I told the salesman, I would not have bought it!!!!

Hopefully, I will know more tomorrow. I will let you know how I get on, but thanks for the replies so far!

Oh, by the way NealP - I paid cash for the car, not finance - a lot of saving for what was meant to be my first "quality" car!!! HA bloody HA!

andy

Uber Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    redadair's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530d Sport (E60)
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Well played Andy, don't be nice with them be relentless and kick up so much crap.

Remind them your well earned cash could've been taken elsewhere.

Just don't get fobbed off by them and walk in and demand to speak to dealer principal for an update etc.

Please keep us posted on how it goes. Red

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    andytran's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Well played Andy, don't be nice with them be relentless and kick up so much crap.

Remind them your well earned cash could've been taken elsewhere.

Just don't get fobbed off by them and walk in and demand to speak to dealer principal for an update etc.

Please keep us posted on how it goes. Red
    Cheers fella ( I assume fella!!)

We will see what tomorrow brings. One thing I have to say is that the garage have been faultless so far, especially the salesman (Scott Deakin) absolute fantastic bloke - full of empathy, helpful, simply great.
    Hopefully, he will see us right!

I will keep you posted.

Andy

Bimmerforums Central
    Car Details
    Boostist's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by andytran View Post
    Hi,
    Two weeks ago, I bought a 2007 BMW from a BMW Dealer in Aberdeen. It was purchased under the approved BMW scheme.
    However, on closer inspection, it looks like the car has been accident repaired. I contacted the previous owner, who told me that the car had succumbed to a lot of damage.
    I then contacted the repair centre, to find that the car had the following repair:
    New bonnet, wings, bumper, bumper cover, headlights, foglights, uppper and lower grilles, radiator and intercooler.
    It looks like (as it is an expensive car) there was no Cat C/Cat D issues.
    However, Im very unhappy to have bought a car that was extensively damaged. The bonnet is not a great match or fit - thats what made me suspect there was a problem.
    The question is, what rights, if any, do I have? Im really quite furious to have been sold a damaged car and would dearly like to reject it.
    Any advice happily recieved.
    Regards
    Andy
    Please read the posting rules.
    I have moved this thread to the correct forum

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...delines-t2257/

Bimmerforums Central
    Car Details
    Boostist's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by andytran View Post
    Cheers fella ( I assume fella!!)

We will see what tomorrow brings. One thing I have to say is that the garage have been faultless so far, especially the salesman (Scott Deakin) absolute fantastic bloke - full of empathy, helpful, simply great.
    Hopefully, he will see us right!

I will keep you posted.

Andy
    As an addition, they are only a great garage if they sort this rather big issue out
    They are trained to pacify customers and make them feel good... but if they dont fix the problem in hand then they are no good in my book!

I would say there are two options -

1/ have them replace or refit and respray the bonnet, and sort the wheel wobble. Which in all likelihood is due to wheel/tyre imbalance or maybe damage to a wheel.

or

2/ replace the car

For me, I would go for option 1 with a demand for financial recompense for the stress and the fact that your 1 year old car has been accident damaged.

but lets keep things in perspective.
    insurance assessors DO NOT categorise cars based on the value of the car (or never that I have seen)
    If the car has not even been registered as Cat D then the accident wasnt that serious. Period.

below shows the insurance categories

Vehicles that have to be dismantled.

* Cat A: Vehicle totally wrecked or burnt out.
    * Cat B: Vehicle has heavy damage and to be broken only.

Vehicles that can be resold

* Cat C: Vehicles of this category are vehicles which the retail repair costs were over the cost of the pre accident value .They will need a VIC test carried out on them, this is done at the local DVLA testing station and would cost around £26.50

* Cat D: Vehicles of this category are vehicles which the retail repair costs were below the pre_accident value of the vehicle.

* Cat X:Vehicles of this categories have damage that has not been recorded, either a stolen recovered vehicle with minimal damage or a vehicle with minimal damage.
    My guess is that because it was a brand new BMW costing xxxx pounds, the customer demanded it have new panels as opposed to any filler or panel beating, so even if the damage was not severe, if the panel was affected, it was replaced.

of course, a new car would be nice, but I wouldnt beat yourself up about it because a large proportion of nice cars on the road are being driven by unsuspecting owners who dont realise they have had minor accident repairs.

IN fact, your best route would be a thorough independant vehicle inspection bya professional outfit (it will cost of course)
    Then you can use this info to challenge the dealers if indeed the car does still have issues...and hence should have been recorded as a Cat C car (if there is structural damage iirc)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Boostist For This Useful Post:

andytran (26-11-2008)

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Keith2.2's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    m
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Report them to the police??? or some the papers?
    Worth giving them a chance first, chap! Even then theres CAB etc first.

Having said that, if it's something that has not been declared but that there is reason to beleive they should / would have known about it, then they haven't been accurate in their description. You've paid x amount for a car that isn't in the condition it seemed to be in. A damaged/repaired is never going to be the same value as something that was faultless in the first place.

Having said that, would replacing the bonnet sort the problem?

These are tough times and I'm quite sure they'll do what they can to help you.
    320d ES fur die wochen
    H22 Powered EG civic - 210bhp, 925kg, fuuullly stripped.
    4.0 High Output Jeep Cherokee for playing...200bhp, 1400kg..faster than the bimmer

well I *was* bmw driving champion lol. 4 months! best I start again...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Keith2.2 For This Useful Post:

andytran (26-11-2008)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast