Am i asking too much or are BMW taking me for a fool??

Notices

Thread: Am i asking too much or are BMW taking me for a fool??

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Am i asking too much or are BMW taking me for a fool?? 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    aaronboydefc's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d ACS3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    I have recently bought a BMW 335d 56 plate. I have suffered badly with the issue of cracked alloy wheels due to the run flat tyres which BMW take no responsability for even though the newer wheel has a reinforced rim which proves something must have been wrong with the original design.
    Anyhow after lots of welding and the car being off the road I have been forced into buying a new set of wheels at great cost to me.
    My second issue is because I have a reasonably old I drive i cannot put post codes into it because when I got to city/postcode it will only let me put letters in and no numbers.
    When I went to my dealer he claimed it was originally made for a 4 digit post code system. The uk has never used a letters only 4 digit post code system so I dont take this as a valid reason. I put it to them that if something is programmed wrong in the first place it is up to them to put this right. They said they will but it is going to cost me £240.
    Surely with the problem ive had with my wheels out of good will they could simply plug my car in and update my iDrive?? as this wouldnt actually cost them a penny, not like im asking for a new set of wheels!!

Any thoughts or suggestions??

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Dez-Derek's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e39 523i SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic/Steptronic
    Car Body Type:
    Sedan/Saloon
    Thanks
    It sounds like they are taking you for a fool, especially with the 4 letter post code thing. Has the car been imported at some stage of it's life? Or is there a setting within the iDrive system that can allow you to change it? I know South Africa uses a 4 numbered post code systems, but the speedometer would be in km/h instead of mph. Have you tried taking it to another BMW dealer?

Driven by experience and pleasure

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    smuler's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 Ci Coupe
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Agree, they are bullshitting re: the postcode system in UK. Pack of lies.

This was a watchdog programme re: runflats and cracked alloys.

Might be of use?

BBC - Watchdog: Are some BMW wheels all they're cracked up to be?

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Vista's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E61 535D M-Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    On a 56 plate, BMW sat navs simply don't do 7 digit post code no matter what they program into it. It should do letters and numbers however and should let you input the first 4 (or 5?) digits of the post code which should get you close enough to choose the street on the next menu down.

Only the most recent BMW's have full uk 7 digit post code search and they're a hard drive rather than DVD based system.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d ACS3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dez-Derek View Post
    It sounds like they are taking you for a fool, especially with the 4 letter post code thing. Has the car been imported at some stage of it's life? Or is there a setting within the iDrive system that can allow you to change it? I know South Africa uses a 4 numbered post code systems, but the speedometer would be in km/h instead of mph. Have you tried taking it to another BMW dealer?
    well this story gets better, when i spoke to a dealer in north wales they fobbed me off with this 4 digit story. I told them this wasnt a good enough reason in my eyes. They said if I had a problem I should take it up with BMW !!! wtf!! i said well were am i now skoda?? they said no BMW but we are a BMW franchise Halliwell Jones!! So they are happy to be BMW for £140 ph labour costs but not happy to be BMW when somebody has a problem. I did contact bmw directly about the issue and they said they will look into it but they were not happy about a dealer claiming to not being BMW.
    Bmw direct said their navs are programmed by navtech so its their issue. In my eyes if that nav is in a bmw car its their problem. People just keep passing the blame. I need this update but dont see why i should pay for it.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d ACS3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vista View Post
    On a 56 plate, BMW sat navs simply don't do 7 digit post code no matter what they program into it. It should do letters and numbers however and should let you input the first 4 (or 5?) digits of the post code which should get you close enough to choose the street on the next menu down.

Only the most recent BMW's have full uk 7 digit post code search and they're a hard drive rather than DVD based system.
    I was adivsed a new disk will not solve this issue but an iDrive update will is this right??

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    LMGC's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330CI
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Unfortunately i can't provide any information of any use as i don't have the same model of car as yours, however, it sounds an absoloute nightmare. Hope you manage to get it all sorted mate...good luck.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to LMGC For This Useful Post:

aaronboydefc (18-01-2012)

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Vista's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E61 535D M-Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    An I-drive update should give you a 3D perspective view as opposed to just a plan view and may increase from four to 5 digit allowing the use of numbers and letters but categorically will not give you full UK 7 digit postcode search. It simply doesn't exist (with legitimate BMW nav discs) for our generation of cars

Diamond BFuk Member
    Car Details
    petrolmarty's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530d M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    2006 December
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    BMW's were never made for our Post codes, until the latest models. I'm not aware there is an update that the dealer can do to give you the 7 digit postcode, unless supply you with a new disc

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d ACS3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vista View Post
    An I-drive update should give you a 3D perspective view as opposed to just a plan view and may increase from four to 5 digit allowing the use of numbers and letters but categorically will not give you full UK 7 digit postcode search. It simply doesn't exist (with legitimate BMW nav discs) for our generation of cars
    so do you think i could take it in for this to be done, if they tell me i will get 7 digit postcodes and it doesnt then surely i can refuse payment as I havnt got what i asked for?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast