Model of Car:
    325Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    I would advise that no one use this trader to buy a second hand car!

I bought a 2001 (Y reg) 320d SE Touring from them in September. The advert and the dealer gave many assurances that the car was in "mint condition" and "perfect working order".

When I test drove it the car only had 8 miles of fuel on the trip computer so it was only a short drive (I should have demanded more). I noted the car seemed slow but he pointed out my current vehicle was a 210bhp flat 6 petrol and this was a 130bhp 4 pot diesel, of course it would seem slow. This seemed a fair comment.

After owning the car for a week it slowly got worse and worse. Driving up inclines means constantly changing down gears and with a few work colleagues in the car the ramps in the multi story proved difficult in 1st gear...

I contacted the dealer and he said it was nothing to do with him and wouldn't do anything with the car. After involving Consumer Direct and then Trading Standards he is still sticking to his guns that he will not do anything to help repair the car and will simply "see [me] in court". This is where we shall shortly be.

They were as polite as could be during the sale but now barely manage acceptable levels of common decency on the phone. They refuse to meet their legal obligation as traders and offer nothing to you "once you drive off the forecourt".

I would advise anyone to steer clear of them as, in my opinion, they are simply a terrible organisation.

Hope this saves someone else the same troubles I'm going through now.

Scott.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Master
    Car Details
    chrisl's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    touring
    Thanks
    Same here mate, only had my car a few weeks, smokes more than the titanic, was a private sale so even worse!!

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Scott87's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisl View Post
    Same here mate, only had my car a few weeks, smokes more than the titanic, was a private sale so even worse!!
    Whilst your legal rights in a private sale are greatly reduced you do still have some. Was it a private sale or was it a trader selling it privately? Did they know of the fault when they sold you the car? Did the seller ask you to sign any receipt or document stating the vehicle was 'sold as seen'?

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Master
    Car Details
    chrisl's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    touring
    Thanks
    Hi Scott87, yes it was definately a private sale and the seller was well aware of the problems before selling it, my mechanic has confirmed this! Now got to spend hundreds which I havent got to get the car back on the road! I didnt sign anything to state 'Sold as seen'. I have contacted the seller and he bascially told me there is no warranty and sod off!!!

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Scott87's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Hi Scott87, yes it was definately a private sale and the seller was well aware of the problems before selling it, my mechanic has confirmed this! Now got to spend hundreds which I havent got to get the car back on the road! I didnt sign anything to state 'Sold as seen'. I have contacted the seller and he bascially told me there is no warranty and sod off!!!
    Even as a private seller he still has legal obligations to meet certain criteria in the sale of goods act. The car must be exactly as described. If it says CD player or aircon then it must have exactly these things AND they must work (unless it is stated that they don't). If it says 'good condition' or 'excellent runner' and is coughing out clouds of black smoke it clearly isn't either of those 2 things. Speak to Consumer Direct, they will give you free and impartial advice about the situation and your rights. They will also advise and guide you on a course of action if there is one to pursue. If you feel they have intentionaly or knowingly 'ripped you off' with a faulty vehicle it is worth a phone call. Should you not be able resolve the matter they will then advise if any legal action can be taken against the seller (this would be a last resort).

Should the car need repair work you are advised to mitigate your losses as much as possible. If it costs more to repair the car than it is worth then you may not get all of it back as a refund would have been more appropriate.

You (as the one getting screwed over) will always find yourself being the one inconvenienced most in these matters. Determination and patience are your friend. If you have a good case to pursue the matter, ultimately you will win but it will take time.

If you do decide to try and pursue this matter on the grounds he knew it was faulty but didn't inform you and think I can be of any assistance shoot me a pm. I will help if I can.

Scott.

(Please note this is not legal adivce as I cannot give it. I have been in this situation before with a private seller and am currently in this situation with a trade seller, talk about bad luck! I am just passing on knowledge I have picked up along the way.)
    Last edited by Scott87; 14-10-2010 at 15:05.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scott87 For This Useful Post:

2000Newsboy (17-10-2010),chrisl (15-10-2010),lisa95 (14-10-2010)

BMW Master
    Car Details
    chrisl's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    touring
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott87 View Post
    Even as a private seller he still has legal obligations to meet certain criteria in the sale of goods act. The car must be exactly as described. If it says CD player or aircon then it must have exactly these things AND they must work (unless it is stated that they don't). If it says 'good condition' or 'excellent runner' and is coughing out clouds of black smoke it clearly isn't either of those 2 things. Speak to Consumer Direct, they will give you free and impartial advice about the situation and your rights. They will also advise and guide you on a course of action if there is one to pursue. If you feel they have intentionaly or knowingly 'ripped you off' with a faulty vehicle it is worth a phone call. Should you not be able resolve the matter they will then advise if any legal action can be taken against the seller (this would be a last resort).

Should the car need repair work you are advised to mitigate your losses as much as possible. If it costs more to repair the car than it is worth then you may not get all of it back as a refund would have been more appropriate.

You (as the one getting screwed over) will always find yourself being the one inconvenienced most in these matters. Determination and patience are your friend. If you have a good case to pursue the matter, ultimately you will win but it will take time.

If you do decide to try and pursue this matter on the grounds he knew it was faulty but didn't inform you and think I can be of any assistance shoot me a pm. I will help if I can.

Scott.

(Please note this is not legal adivce as I cannot give it. I have been in this situation before with a private seller and am currently in this situation with a trade seller, talk about bad luck! I am just passing on knowledge I have picked up along the way.)

I Scott I wanted to thank you for you email, its much appreciated that you take the time and effort to repsond! Seems like we are both in a similar situation, I emailed the seller regarding the problems with my car, I was very polite considering the circumstances, and he said he will call the police if I contact him again!?! I cant believe this guy, I have gicen him negative feedback and contacted ebay but they say there is nothing they can do! My car is in the garage today for a costs for all the repairs so I will have to see what happens! I think if its bad I will need some more advice mate! Good luck with your problems as well!

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Scott87's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    I Scott I wanted to thank you for you email, its much appreciated that you take the time and effort to repsond! Seems like we are both in a similar situation, I emailed the seller regarding the problems with my car, I was very polite considering the circumstances, and he said he will call the police if I contact him again!?! I cant believe this guy, I have gicen him negative feedback and contacted ebay but they say there is nothing they can do! My car is in the garage today for a costs for all the repairs so I will have to see what happens! I think if its bad I will need some more advice mate! Good luck with your problems as well!
    Whilst telephoning the seller may be the most direct route and yield instant results, sending a letter is much more beneficial in the long run (always keep copies, get proof of posting and send recorded to get proof of receipt). If he has asked you not to call him then you shouldn't. He could press charges for harrasment or under the misuse of telecommunications act (1984) if he wanted to be a real pain. This could result in the police confiscating your phone if he can prove he asked you not to contact him and you did. He cannot take any such action for you writing him a letter (as long as the content is appropriate). You can get his address from the previous keeper section on the V5 when you receive it if you don't already have it.

I would advise doing some reading on the Sale of Goods Act and speak to Consumer Direct. The sooner you make this official the better it looks for you. You can phone them and get a reference number just to get the ball rolling so everything is documented. They will also give you more advice than I can offer.

Usual not legal advice notice applies, see above :-)

Again, hope this helps.

Scott.

BMW Master
    Car Details
    chrisl's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    touring
    Thanks
    hi thanks for the email, yes I was very polite and emailed the seller with regards to coming to an amicable settlement and he was rude and didnt want to know! I have not read Lewy-T's post I will have a serach for it now! Thanks

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Scott87's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by afcneal View Post
    I disagree. He has asked you 'not to contact him' - that's not the same as calling and encompasses all forms of communication. If he calls the Police they are highly unlikely to act (it's a civil matter, not criminal) and provided what you have sent thus far and in future is civil and not libellous, there's no legal risk. Indeed any future action by you will fare better if you have endavoured to seek an amicable settlement.

But, do keep everything in writing (no phone calls), e-mail is fine (read receipt). Have you checked out Forum user Lewy-T's post on purchases recently?
    I realise the police would be unlikely to act on the matter. If he did approach them on harrasment grounds would they not have to do some form of investigation? As I say I'm not a professional, just going off my own experience. I was advised to request the other party cease any further telephone calls and if they didn't they would look into it for me. Maybe they would have, maybe they wouldn't, the calls stopped so I never found out.

If it ever did go to court and they were to see you have taken every opportunity to compromise and try to resolve the matter amicably and the other party has done nothing, you will have a strong case in your favour.

I will go look up Lewy-T's post...

Bimmerforums Central
    Car Details
    Boostist's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks