Year of Manufacture:
    2006 / 2016
    Transmission Type:
    Auto / Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe / Cabriolet

Thanks
    Hi Guys,

So I have an issue with the actuators on my 335i turbos. The garage has taken the turbo's off my car as I requested them. The actuator seems a bit loose but nothing more, but I've been told that the arms and bushes on both turbos prevent the wastegates from closing.

I've rang up a few turbo repair companies, who have told me that they don't replace the actuator so a complete turbo kit would need to be replaced. But frequently, I've been told by these repair companies, that it is possible to just replace the actuator, but they've not been able to point me in the right direction to where I can get this done from.

The last garage I went to recommended me to this site and asked me to post the question on here as someone may be able to shed more light on the matter.

So, firstly, is it possible to just change the manual actuators on the Mitsubishi turbos fitted on a 06' 335i with the N54 engine?

And secondly, if possible, where can I get this done from, and how much is it likely to cost? Note that I have the turbo's already taken off the vehicle.

I ask the question on price as I think I can locate turbos off Ebay for around £300 a piece.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Santi

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Car Details
    dailydoggy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,273 Times in 4,102 Posts
    it is rather daft to renew the wastgate bushing and rods etc and not overhaul the turbo's aswell as the main turbo may fail at a later date, the original fault is the wastgate control arm and bushes mechanism wearing to fast causing wastegate rattle/failure to seal properly which leads to loss of boost...

you can buy a wastegate repair kits off ebay but it is false economy not to refurb the turbo's while they are out as they are such an expensive pig to remove and refit to start with...

2 full turbo refurbs ya lookin at £700-£800 exchange...

some refurb companies use titanium bushes in the wastgate repair to erradicate the wastgate wear fault all together...
    330i sport a big chunk of berlin...

Super Moderator
    Car Details
    dailydoggy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,273 Times in 4,102 Posts
    ALL E90 335i - Turbo wastegate rattle. PROBLEM & FIX

i think the turbo refurb company mentioned in it is now defunct tho....
    330i sport a big chunk of berlin...

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    SantiagoMendoza's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    335i E92 / C63S
    Year of Manufacture:
    2006 / 2016
    Transmission Type:
    Auto / Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe / Cabriolet

Thanks
    I've looked at that link and contacted Turbo Developments. They tell ne that they did do the repair on the arm and bushes individually on a turbo back in 2011 but no longer offer that service.

However, what they now do is take your turbos from you, send your replcements, which they charge you £450 per turbo. Then once they have 10 - 15 faulty turbos, they repair them in one go and sell on the re-conditioned turbos for the £450 per unit.

If would be great to find a company that still does offer the original service where you ship off your turbos and they repair, and then send them back to you. It is looking unlikely however.