BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

£80 for Oil Service Main Dealer

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Peter M 
#1 ·
Booked an oil service and brake fluid change at a main dealer in Norwich.

Oil Service: £80.00 - bringing own oil.
Brake Fluid change: £48.00

I don't use main dealers for most things, but these prices sounded reasonable and will appreciate a BM mech reporting anything needing future attention - at least this one time.

I assumed this included the 4 plus discount (didn't say and forgot to ask), but will double check before handing over the dosh :shifty:

A bargain?

#6 ·
hi peter, sounds like a good find! i will need to have mine done soon. thanks for the post!
:thumbsup

#7 ·
Ouch.

Go to Kwik fit, £25 for an oil change using Mobil 1 semi-synth, just watch them do it so you can make sure the guy looks competant not an apprentice monkey that's gonna crossthread your sump plug. You'd be lucky to even buy 5l of Mobil 1 in a shop for £25... They also do a quick check of your car not that it's much good. Pollen filter, air filter and brake fluid change is easy DIY (need help for brake fluid unless you have a mitivac or something).

#9 ·
Mobil 1 Semi-synthetic is pretty much useless in a 530d IMO. Certainly no where near the specification required......... Should be running LL01/02 (0W-30/40 or 5W-30/40)in that.
Engine oil is the lifeblood of an engine, why would you compromise on quality to save a few ££'s when in the long term it WILL cost considerably more to fix the consequential issues??

One thing to note though......... At least according to this guy they drain the oil out of the sump plug @ Kwik Fit?? Main Dealers get approx 18 minutes to carry out an oil service and the Tech is usually on Bonus!! That's why most of them suck the oil out of the dipstick:eek

Use your local indie........ Generally a better job all round??

Regards

Peter

#10 ·
If you change your oil between service indicator intervals the oil is probably good enough?? However, if you run it untill the indicator has run down it will probably be well beyond it's good working life. IMO god quality semi-synthetic oils are good for up to 12,000miles, maybe a litle more??

Problem is that only a few oil companies supply LL0# oils that meet BMW requirements so the price is very high by comparison to other products on the market that may appear to be compatable. As said before, use the right stuff for the job..... Cheaper in the long-run.

Regards
Peter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.