Window tinting... It aint easy.. - Page 2

Notices

Thread: Window tinting... It aint easy..

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    terry54661's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    323 Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    1999 - 86000 miles
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    UPDATED...

Ok I have had another at tinting last night! I did one rear side window and it was totally perfect but I found a 2 inch crease in the lower cornor. As I want a proper job done I have again ripped it off and will start again another time. It really is worth effort in getting it 100% right other wise its going to look shite in a few months.

NOW FOR A HORROR STORY...

I tinted the window in my garage. All the time I was doing this I had the interior lights on, This is turn gave me a flat battery! As i cant fit the whole car in because of all of the other junk in there I had to push the car out. The drive infront of the garage is a slope so I pushed the car up and out and then.. TO MY HORROR IT CAME ROLLING BACK DOWN AND HIT THE SIDE OF THE GARAGE DOOR I Now have a dent in the front left wing, door, rear wheel arch and the side mirror cover has come off!!! I came believe it.

Tinting the windows is now getting expensive! I am lucky that my old man was a panel beater years ago and is now a production manager for a car painting firm. So I can get the repairs done of the cheap. But that dont stop me from feeling really pissed off lol.

So will I give up trying to tint the windows... No way I will carry

To be continued.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    terry54661's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    323 Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    1999 - 86000 miles
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by biggurs View Post
    I was thinking of doing mine and have a pre cut tint kit on my ebay 'watch' list for the past few months and been watching it being done on youtube. Seems so easy but the back windscreen being curved and all that I know for a fact I will run into trouble and my problem is I have absolutely no patience, i'll rant and rave, feel sorry for myself and get the car booked in to the nearest window tinting place without delay, without any research and end up getting it done by some cowboys! so I'm not even going to attempt it after hearing your story!! lol
    I'm just looking around for a nice friendly cheap and professional tinting company.
    Hope you get it sorted soon

I aint got alot of patience myself either. I watched loads of youtube vids too and thats when I also thought to myself, Thats easy I can tint my whole car in a few hours! How wrong was I eh! I have tried and failed but will carry on till it is right. I was going to find someone to do it but then i think to myself I didnt do it so can feel good about it if you know what I mean!

I have learnt this tho.. Use loads and loads of water and I mean LOADS. I used about 5 small drops of johnsons baby bath in a spray bottle fall of water, if I put more in it makes a total mess and the film slides around way to much. When cutting out film shape for the window DONT leave more than 1 CM to tuck under the bottom rubbers. Having more film here will make it impossible to stop the bubble creeping back in. Also I have found that if you aint got a heat gun you are never gonna get the film to sit against the window.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    terry54661's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    323 Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    1999 - 86000 miles
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    I have got some more tint so this evening I will give it another. I also brought the correct tools for the job this time so fingers crossed on a good result.

Will update in the morning
    Im the king of Typos, I cant spell that well and write things in an un-understandable way... But im sure your get what I mean!

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

JkF
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    JkF's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Watching this thread, got a hold of my girl friends old hair-drier (which was 'broken' because it pushed out too much heat, perfect!) and now am going to start getting the ride looking smart! So windows tinting may be on my list, depending on how terry get's on with it

Proud E36 Owner

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JkF For This Useful Post:

terry54661 (18-01-2012)

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    terry54661's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    323 Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    1999 - 86000 miles
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JkF View Post
    So windows tinting may be on my list, depending on how terry get's on with it
    PMSL So I fek it up and you all laught eh!!! . I'll have to get it right and post the pics as proof of succuss then!. Tonight I will try the rear window and am feeling confident

You should post a video of yourself with that knackered hairdrier, we can all pi@s ourselves laughting when you blow yourself up

To be continued...
    Im the king of Typos, I cant spell that well and write things in an un-understandable way... But im sure your get what I mean!

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Devon535's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    535d m sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    I tinted my 5 series a couple of weeks ago and did the same, watched loads of videos on you tube so I could get as much knowledge as possible, but, I also cocked it up the first time but also gave me some pretty useful practice on what to do the second time around. I got pre cut tints off ebay for £30, side windows were pretty straightforward the second time around, rear window was a complete pain, and I am still not happy with it, so will either redo the whole lot or just cut out the bad bit. If I do it again though, I would do it as three separate sections, left, centre and right, and put the join down the heater elements on the rear window to hide them. Trying to get a sheet that size into a saloon car was hard to say the least whilst trying to keep it clean and crease free. Solution wise, one teaspoon of J&J baby shampoo to a pint of water.
    Last edited by Devon535; 19-01-2012 at 10:38.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    terry54661's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    323 Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    1999 - 86000 miles
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    And the end result is..... A total give up lol. I spend 4 hours trying to shape a roll of crappy film to the rear window with a heat gun and it just wasnt having none of it. The cheap film from ebay was a joke and total rip off. It was very thin and curled back up into a roll everytime I layed it down I was running left to right right to feking left for hours and it just would stay flat. This film is like a loading spring! I couldn't shape it at all and got really feked off with it. It burns REALLY easy too! I had taken out the rear head rest ready to install the film on the inside but didnt get that far!

It really DOES NOT PAY to buy cheap film for £10, Now who recommended that to me eh! E36LISTER!!! The Halfords film was really easy to heat, shape and apply compared to the cheap stuff and although it is expensive it is a qaulty product.

So thats it from me on the tinting, I will pay someone to do it for me.

Over and out chaps

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    E36LISTER's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    Sorry to hear mate I've used a few and found the eBay one the best by far :s

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    E36LISTER's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    photo13.jpg
    photo14.jpg
    photo15.jpg
    heres a few pics of some cars ive done using the ebay film just to show it can be done to a nice finish incase others are thinking of giving it ago

Authorised Bimmerforums UK Vendor
    Car Details
    RT-Performance's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Estate

Thanks
    There's a say which goes "there is a tool for every job" which I think relates really well when it comes to tinting windows with difficult to reach areas such as the weather seals and rubber obstacles.
    One mastered, tinting can be quite easy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12